Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I agree that an unboxing video is a strange thing, but I think the reason they are so popular is because the vendors really drop the ball most of the time when it comes to marketing their product. In a perfect world, the vendor would be putting out detailed and thoughtful marketing videos and blog posts that don’t leave the audience with too many unanswered questions. A proper review is best, but an unboxing is sort of helpful when there is not much else to help you understand the product.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That is a good point, HandyRandy.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    I think this may be one of the most entertaining posts I have read in some time.

I tend to agree with Shrewd to a great extent about The Trek and with many others regarding the YT content creators posting provatovely titled videos regardless of the quality of experience.

It is interesting to watch folks gain a fan base as they create reviews and share their opinions after a single thru hike. Some are worthwhile, while others continually dream up content to keep producing and building a following.

What is often missed, IMHO, is a breadth of experience in the backcountey that becomes meaningful or even trust worthy.

As these vloggers and bloggers have parlayed their social following into an effective affiliate business...I've personally wanted to distance myself from them...even as my wife and I write regularly on our site both as daily journalers (while on hikes) as well as sharing what we hope is helpful info.

In that effort, we recently pulled down all banner and sidebar ads and have discontinued adding affiliate links in new posts as of this month our site - I did this as I become increasingly disgusted with many of the content providers. I'd rather earn elsewhere and simply not be viewed in the same light.

This was a long time coming. Over the years, I've had the good fortune to spend time off trail with some pretty well traveled and in some cases, quite well known hikers (in the thru hiker scene, at least). Many view most of the vloggers as inexperienced hacks without backcountry skills who are simply capitalizing in an unsavory way on aspiring thru hiker gear obsessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    What is often missed, IMHO, is a breadth of experience in the backcountey that becomes meaningful or even trust worthy...Many view most of the vloggers as inexperienced hacks without backcountry skills who are simply capitalizing in an unsavory way on aspiring thru hiker gear obsessions.
    Selectively quoted just to add an Amen and +1 to the sentiment.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    I think this may be one of the most entertaining posts I have read in some time.

I tend to agree with Shrewd to a great extent about The Trek and with many others regarding the YT content creators posting provatovely titled videos regardless of the quality of experience.

It is interesting to watch folks gain a fan base as they create reviews and share their opinions after a single thru hike. Some are worthwhile, while others continually dream up content to keep producing and building a following.

What is often missed, IMHO, is a breadth of experience in the backcountey that becomes meaningful or even trust worthy.

As these vloggers and bloggers have parlayed their social following into an effective affiliate business...I've personally wanted to distance myself from them...even as my wife and I write regularly on our site both as daily journalers (while on hikes) as well as sharing what we hope is helpful info.

In that effort, we recently pulled down all banner and sidebar ads and have discontinued adding affiliate links in new posts as of this month our site - I did this as I become increasingly disgusted with many of the content providers. I'd rather earn elsewhere and simply not be viewed in the same light.

This was a long time coming. Over the years, I've had the good fortune to spend time off trail with some pretty well traveled and in some cases, quite well known hikers (in the thru hiker scene, at least). Many view most of the vloggers as inexperienced hacks without backcountry skills who are simply capitalizing in an unsavory way on aspiring thru hiker gear obsessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well stated, Chop, and a big +1 as well.

I subscribed to your site and already have found it helpful because I will be doing a trip to the northern Cascades with some friends in August, so your gear list is enlightening since I haven't UL backpacked in that area. I've done some mountaineering there, but that's like comparing kumquats and Buicks, and UL backpacking is a fairly recent development for me, around 2013 or so.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Chop for president!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Well stated, Chop, and a big +1 as well.

I subscribed to your site and already have found it helpful because I will be doing a trip to the northern Cascades with some friends in August, so your gear list is enlightening since I haven't UL backpacked in that area. I've done some mountaineering there, but that's like comparing kumquats and Buicks, and UL backpacking is a fairly recent development for me, around 2013 or so.
    Have a great trip up there. The Cascades are pretty incredible! Drop me a line if you have any questions.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Chop for president!
    Ha! and Heck No! Maybe Shug for Prez?

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hey guys, I've been writing for and blogging for the Trek for a few years now doing some of their hammock related content(articles, videos) and trying to get some worthwhile hammock content on there. I read these surveys and am always slightly confused by the hammock information and the way they go about presenting it.

While I agree that the trek isn't the premier location for hammock info I think some of the articles at least help introduce folks to hammocks that would have never thought of it as a choice before. I enjoy getting the opportunity to introduce hammocks over there as well as share tips on hammock forums and hope to continue to do both as my free time allows.

Thanks for the great feedback. I plan to use it and make sure I present good hammock information in any future videos or articles I write over on the trek or on my own youtube channel. As always if you see something you think I can add to any of the articles I created please let me know in the comments of the article or email me directly. I was able to enhance one of my articles after information from none other than professor hammock himself and feedback is a very positive experience for me since it at least means you read the article.

Happy Hanging! (Chris G. on the Trek)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123