Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Need help planning April trip out west

Hello, I would greatly appreciate some insight from you Westerners on where a good, Hammock friendly place would be to go to in April. My wife will be going to Florida to visit her brother, and I hate Florida. I also hate being home alone, so it's time for me to hit the trails! I would like a 3-5 day loop preferably.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    April is a great month in Arizona. Nice warm days, cool to cold nights. The Grand Canyon would be a great destination. Late April will also be nice in New Mexico and Southern Colorado or Utah. Wild flowers will just start to be coming out in the high country.

Lots of great places in the West, you will have many choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like Arizona too - it's God's country.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donfish06 View Post
    Hello, I would greatly appreciate some insight from you Westerners on where a good, Hammock friendly place would be to go to in April. My wife will be going to Florida to visit her brother, and I hate Florida. I also hate being home alone, so it's time for me to hit the trails! I would like a 3-5 day loop preferably.

Thanks!
    The West is pretty big. How about giving us a clue on what states you might be interested in. April is still winter in the Colorado high country zero degree quilts are highly recommended.

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    April is a great month in Arizona. Nice warm days, cool to cold nights. The Grand Canyon would be a great destination. Late April will also be nice in New Mexico and Southern Colorado or Utah. Wild flowers will just start to be coming out in the high country.

Lots of great places in the West, you will have many choices.

I've heard that the grand canyon is not very Hammock friendly. While it's not an absolute requirement, it's definitely preferred.

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    The West is pretty big. How about giving us a clue on what states you might be interested in. April is still winter in the Colorado high country zero degree quilts are highly recommended.
    Really anywhere that would not require snowshoes and a 0* quilt. I'd prefer to be able to sleep in my Hammock. If that's not possible, then I'll go somewhere AZ or UT

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I've heard that the grand canyon is not very Hammock friendly. While it's not an absolute requirement, it's definitely preferred.
    You had mentioned a “loop”, I assumed that you were speaking to driving and camping rather then hiking. While the Grand Canyon south Rim and Canyon itself is not Hammock friendly, there are lots of areas fairly close to the Canyon that you could find somewhere to hang. If you have never seen the Canyon, it’s worth taking the time to check it out.

It might be tough to get to the North Rim depending on when in April you planned to travel. But you could take a day trip to the Canyon and camp at another location (Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, etc.)

The Arizona Hammocker’s will be hosting a Hang in late April close by Tucson. Mt Lemon, the Chiricahua’s, the Huachuca’s, the Superstitions (all just in Arizona), would all work in April.

There are so many options... you should give us an idea of where your interested in exploring...

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    You had mentioned a “loop”, I assumed that you were speaking to driving and camping rather then hiking.
    I assumed a loop just meant ending at the same place you started. CDT Loop out of Grand Lake, CO. Maroon Bells Four Pass Loop out of Aspen, CO. Northern Loop in Glacier National Park.

All amazing, backpackable, hammock hangable loops, but probably not the best choices for April.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You are correct on that - hanging from trees is banned, you can only use manmade structures like the ramadas at Indian Garden. April is also a super-busy time in GCNP with Spring Break and all, chances are you couldn't get a permit at this point, and with the government shutdown you can't get one anyway...

Many NOBO AZT hikers hike begin their hike April 1 at the Mexican Border. It is late enough that the snow is mostly gone from the mountains, yet early enough that it isn't too hot down in the desert. The mountain ranges along the AZT are all great for hammock hanging, due to the prevalence of Ponderosa Pine. You could do a section of the AZT and arrange a shuttle (see the AZT website).

What might work for you is Saguaro NP. Never crowded (trivial to get a permit), the AZT cuts right through it, and it's easily accessible from Tucson. Here's my guide to the trails there:

Loop hikes are hard to find here, but you could wander around the Rincons for 3-5 days no problem. All the campsites are hammock-friendly.

If you really want a loop you could do the Chiricahuas. Here's my video guide to that area:

The Chiricahuas are more remote and rustic than Saguaro NP, but no permits required. Chiricahua Peak is higher than the Rincons, so you may see some snow patches there in early April. This area is very hammock friendly, in fact we did the AZ Spring Hang at Turkey Creek a couple of years ago and everyone who came loved it. You can hike the Crest Trail for days.

Last but not least are the Superstitions outside of Phoenix. This would be the warmest option as the Supes are under 5,000', but water can be an issue there. See my YT channel for several Supe hikes including a 3-day loop.

I really love the Gila in NM, and you can find several videos on my channel describing great hikes there along the river. I would be a little concerned with high river flows in April though with the snowmelt.

Happy to answer any questions.

-Kurt
    Last edited by kwpapke; 01-09-2019 at 13:45. Reason: Added AZT URL
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

• + New Posts