Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps

Video - Two Trips and Just Can’t Get Comfortable

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Western North Carolina and have been excited to get out and explore the area. Already this Winter I have been camping twice. I’m having trouble getting comfortable in the hammock but am considering attending a Frozen Butt Hang to learn from the pro’s! I’ve had a couple of good night sleeps in the past when I attended a Winter hang in Austin, TX a couple years ago. Some of the established members helped me find the sweet spot for comfort.

The video’s are comical in nature but I am serious about getting this right. I love to lounge in a hammock but the overnight sleeping part is eluding me so far.

Here’s a video from the fist trip. I ended up sleeping in my car 😁

https://youtu.be/ekjUdT1HuD8

Here’s the video from the second trip, This time I just packed up and wen’t home.

https://youtu.be/v4xBLg8rRg4
    Last edited by Eigerhiker; 01-04-2019 at 02:26.
    “I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.”

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, now I know how to just not get comfortable in a hammock!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Hi, Thx for posting and video. You might consider hosting a 2 night hammock / motorcycle adventure in the Pisgah NF, in order to get some positive experiences and advice. Solo works, but sometimes a support network helps.
    T

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20° Wookie
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Have you tried setting up at home, to dial it in? If you haven't already, you should read ther book "The Ultimate hang 2", watch all of songs videos on hammock set up and underquilt adjustments.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20° Wookie
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kac1269 View Post
    Have you tried setting up at home, to dial it in? If you haven't already, you should read ther book "The Ultimate hang 2", watch all of songs videos on hammock set up and underquilt adjustments.
    Sorry "Shugs" not songs

Hammock
    Dutchware 11’ Wide
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Hi, Thx for posting and video. You might consider hosting a 2 night hammock / motorcycle adventure in the Pisgah NF, in order to get some positive experiences and advice. Solo works, but sometimes a support network helps.
    T

That’s a great idea, I will start researching places to accommodate a group with hammocks. Of course the research will include plenty of riding around ��
    “I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.”

Hammock
    Dutchware 11’ Wide
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    I set up at home regularly. I mostly just take naps for a couple hours and the trees are spaced at a distance where I can get a comfortable angle. My girlfriend and I love Shug’s video. We have watched many of them several times for the humor and the instruction he gives.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi Eigerhiker,

I'd suggest that you load up the Land Rover with your hammock and tenting gear, find yourself a nearby hammock hang and talk to some local hangers to see what they're doing. Even as if you can get in a couple.

When my knee bothers me, I wedge my clothes stuffsack underneath it to support it. I also use another stuffsack above my left shoulder (assuming a head left/feet right diagonal lay) to act as a pillow as well as give me a little space between the hammock fabric and my face. Somehow, using these extra "pillows" I manage to sleep soundly in the brief time allotted to me between my pee breaks.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I can relate somewhat and hopefully can convince you that there is light at the end of the tunnel! I used an ENO Doublenest for about 8 years and always slept good in it. I used a Big Agnes bag with the pad sleeve and sleeping pad. Last year I upgraded to an 11 foot Dream Hammock Raven and set it up in my backyard. I was still using pads for the first 4 or 5 times and I just couldn't get a solid nights sleep. I was super comfy when I got into it but was restless all night long. Then I got my first Underquilt and used it for the first time on a winter camping trip. I had a hard time as well as for 4 nights I struggled to dial it in and get rid of a few small cold spots. I had bad nights sleeps each night on that trip. I also found that the underquilt made it a tad harder to get that nice diagonal lay that I get when there is no underquilt. I think subconsciously I was also concerned about the UQ slipping off my shoulders and under my feet as well as it seemed to move around a bit. I then got a 30 degree UQ and had the same issues (minus the cold spots as I used this in the warmer months).

Finally I have rigged a system where I attach the foot side and shoulder side of each of my UQ's to the tie out's on the actual hammock. This keeps the UQ locked right in on my shoulder and my feet. It is still a bit more difficult to get a deep diagonal lay but I sleep like a baby every night now (still diagonal - just not AS diagonal). It's been about 25 nights using each UQ individually and sometimes stacked together and I sleep like a baby every night now.

Another thing that made a huge difference to me was finding the perfect pillow. I use a medium sized Thermarest pillow and for me it is perfect for hammock use (not too puffy as to keep my neck angled weird but malleable enough I can always get comfy with it). Also, when I sleep in my bed I always put a pillow between my knees and it takes all the pressure of my back. When I started doing this in my hammock it made a world of difference too. It also alleviates any leg discomfort some folks have with the calf ridge...

So in total I'd say I had about 10-15 bad night's sleep before I started to have great sleeps. I have slipped discs in my back but I find that in my hammock the pain disappears almost immediately and it's the only sleep I get where I wake up without back pain. I sleep out in my backyard in it as much as I can now (even in the winter here in Ontario where temps can get down to -25C.

I'd suggest you stick with it and I'll bet you find what works for you...I was ready to give up but so glad I stuck it out and kept tweaking my set up...
    Last edited by SteveE; 01-04-2019 at 15:41.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It sounds like you have a bad leg/hip. You may want to consider a bridge hammock as a test as they do not require getting at an angle to get comfortable but they are also somewhat narrow and you look like you may be a taller person. It's always worth a try.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast