Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    Dutch or anyone else.

I was looking at a tarp rigging option other than knots. The flyz and wasps look good, is there a reason to choose one over the other? I currently have a continuous ridgeline with prussic knots attached to the tarp. Is this still the go to method? Should I just get rid of the ridgeline? Looking to make setup easier, not so much worried about weight.
    When it's cold I HATE trying to unlock my line from the wasps. Secures too well. Flies are much easier.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    When it's cold I HATE trying to unlock my line from the wasps. Secures too well. Flies are much easier.
    I agree about the wasps locking in pretty tight and have found pulling the line from the hook portion first makes it release a lot better. I use the same technique to release fleaz that I have on the stake tie outs.

That is a good point. We mostly get out in the cold and I find tying knots is horrible. Sounds like one hook and one fly would do what I need, then just keep my prussic loops on the tarp like I have now. Thanks for all the tips, some times there are so many options it is hard to make sense of what you need.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    One thing nobody pointed out is that with Stingers you are less likely to walk off and leave a ridgeling attached to the tree.I have yet to do it but have come close so I make sure to use YELLOW zingit as my ridge line.

My current favorite setup is Yellow 2.2 zingit with 3 prussics on it,a wasp,and a Dutch hook.The prussic nearest the hook end is used to make a V for the hammock straps,then likewise on the other end with the wasp.After that I simply slide the tarp with the two remaining prussics into position and stake it down.I have always locked the wasp at the tail but am going to try the "head lock" next time to see it that would be easier to do in cold weather.

I use Nama Claws to secure the doors of my SuperFly at the corners.Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I like Wasp on one end, Dutch Hook on the other, with soft shackle prusiks to the tarp. I personally don't like a split ridgeline, but some do.
    Ditto. I also have one setup with a tarpfly and the wasp is far superior. I will say if you use a WB tarp or any tarp that has split rings for the RL tieout you can skip the soft shackle and just do straight prusiks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I think you guys just talked me out of getting a wasp. I've been using the flies with no problem. They are just tiny to fiddle with cold hands or gloves. Wasps were just a tad bigger. I secure the other end with a Nite-ize mini biner to a continuous ridgeline. The tarp is on prusik knots so I can center it quickly over the hammock. Works well for me so far. No slipping on 1.8 line.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I am so glad I saw this post as I was about to buy a new CRL with wasp and Dutch hook from Dutchware. My current one is several years old and is starting to fray.

I use flyz on each end to tie up my tarps but use the CRL for other reasons in camp (i.e. candle lanterns and such).

Last weekend when I was out on the N. Georgia AT, I woke up and it was just near freezing. I could not for the life of me get the wasp to unlock from the line. I was about to cut it down when I gave it one last tug and it let go. Now that I know it was cold weather-related, I will only use it in warmer weather.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I am so glad I saw this post as I was about to buy a new CRL with wasp and Dutch hook from Dutchware. My current one is several years old and is starting to fray.

I use flyz on each end to tie up my tarps but use the CRL for other reasons in camp (i.e. candle lanterns and such).

Last weekend when I was out on the N. Georgia AT, I woke up and it was just near freezing. I could not for the life of me get the wasp to unlock from the line. I was about to cut it down when I gave it one last tug and it let go. Now that I know it was cold weather-related, I will only use it in warmer weather.
    The temperature has nothing to do with how well the Wasp secures. You'll experience the same issue in warm weather. It's just that it sucks even more having to deal with it in cold weather with cold hands.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I have not seen anything, but may have just missed it...has anyone tried to modify a wasp to release more easily? That's about where I am at, and would appreciate any tips or suggestions (even if it is, "don't do it, you'll just ruin the wasp").

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    I have not seen anything, but may have just missed it...has anyone tried to modify a wasp to release more easily? That's about where I am at, and would appreciate any tips or suggestions (even if it is, "don't do it, you'll just ruin the wasp").
    Dutch has reccommended using a flat-blade screwdriver to pry upward on the "wing" a little. I'd probably try making very small, incremental adjustments.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast