Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tarp Flyz, wasps and ridgeline

Dutch or anyone else.

I was looking at a tarp rigging option other than knots. The flyz and wasps look good, is there a reason to choose one over the other? I currently have a continuous ridgeline with prussic knots attached to the tarp. Is this still the go to method? Should I just get rid of the ridgeline? Looking to make setup easier, not so much worried about weight.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Images
    Lots of different opinions on this topic. Dozens or hundreds of methods - none are right or wrong; they're just based on preferences. Videos above give a good overview of some of the options.

FWIW, my preferences:

My preferred method - split ridge ties:
    Pair of Dutch Stingerz each spliced onto 15' of Lash-It

Each Stinger clips onto one of the tarp ridgeline D-rings, then the tail end goes around the tree and back to the Stinger. That's all, and it's very easy to set this up without the tarp touching the ground. I also have no problem centering the tarp over the hammock with this method.

For CRL method:
    40' of Lash-It with Dutch Hook captured in an eye splice at one end - the other end with a tail bury.
    1x Dutch Flyz (or Fleaz) spliced onto a 2" diameter Zing-It CL - this gets lark's-headed to one of the tarp ridgeline D-rings
    (if the tarp has split rings, you can attach the Fly/Flea directly, without the Zing-It loop)
    1x 2" diameter plain Zing-It CL - this gets lark's-headed to the other tarp ridgeline D-ring

Hook end of the 40' Lash-It goes around the tree and hooks onto the plain Zing-It loop. Plain end of the Lash-It gets threaded through both tarp ridgeline D-rings, then around the other tree, then back to the Dutch Fly/Flea for tensioning and locking. This is tougher to do without the tarp touching the ground, but does give a continuous ridgeline, which has some advantages. It can be done with the tarp under or over the ridgeline.

(I just got some NAMA Claws and haven't had a chance to try them yet, so these have the potential to change my preference)

For the tie outs:
    I've tried so many methods I couldn't even remember them all. I think the slickest method is to use Dutch Hookworms attached to the guylines, which are permanently attached to the stakes. Hook these onto small 3/32" shock cord loops lark's-headed to each tarp tie-out D-ring. This way the guylines travel with the stakes, which is convenient if you have multiple tarps and like to change it up. The simple shock cord loops live on the tie-out D-rings of each tarp. Much harder to lose/forget a tarp stake this way, too.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 01-04-2019 at 00:11.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I previously had only one tarp and the same CRL with prussiks as you describe. Liked the prussiks well enough until they got some age on them. Never did like packing and unpacking the CRL, so I cut it in two - worked better for me as independent ends for a while until I grew tired of the prussiks. Now I have multiple tarps and I find the Stingerz with line attached are great for transferring my RL between tarps - one on each end, of course. Stingerz also create the V for the hammock suspension to go between, which is nice, but not as necessary as some would say.

Note that I've also been trying out "tarp straps" where I have Fleaz attached at the end of a strap - lines tied to the tarp simply attach to the Fleaz on the strap. Just didn't like the idea of thin line going around a tree, and I do like to crank down my tarp for a taut pitch.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I'll second using Stingerz from Dutch. But like CMC said, lots of differing opinions.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like Wasp on one end, Dutch Hook on the other, with soft shackle prusiks to the tarp. I personally don't like a split ridgeline, but some do.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I like the wasp over the stingerz because you can control easier where the line forms a V if desired. It's not necessary but can provide flexibility in some situations. Most of my tarps have a split ridgeline with a wasp on each end.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Tarp Flyz, wasps and ridgeline

I have grown to dislike the continuous ridgeline. I think when I started using a single piece snake skin, the CRL lost it's allure. I prefer flyz on a 12 to 15 foot piece of zing it now.

the CRL makes a great back country clothesline, so I still get some great use out of it.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I have been using 1/4" utility cord from the dollar store. It works great for tie outs using a becket hitch on the 1/2" grosgrain loops. In heavy winds they held fine.

I love stingerz. I bought a pair and am thinking I may need a couple more pair

Images
    I'm looking forward to forum members sharing their experience with Warbonnet's new TarpTick!

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/tarp-tick/

It's easy to see there is some Dutchware influence going on with it, but nevertheless it's clear some thought went into the design.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast