Hammock
    Nova Harmony Sewn By Elsa
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ w/Clew
    Suspension
    JuneBug Buckles

Spreader bar use for two kids to hang from a turtledog stand....

Turtledog stand peeps. Could i hang two kids on a turtle dog stand? Combined weight total 130lbs? Building a stand this weekend, so we will find out for sure, but looking for wisdom of the hive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Morning,

Are you thinking of using two hammocks? If so, Id just build 2 stands. Super easy and pretty cheap. I absolutely dig my TD Stand. Took me about 1.5 hours to put together once I had all the materials.

That said, TD Stands can be finicky, in that the legs can fold in and/or spread out, causing the stand to collapse. This can occur when you get in and out. You also have to be careful of sudden jerky movements, such as those used when you reposition your body by turning over or when you are pulling/pushing yourself up closer, to the head of the hammock.

Young kids and the TD Stand, may not be a good combo. Kids move around a lot.

There might be a more stable, portable type stand style out there, which may fit your needs, more adequately. I am sure others will chime in and help you get it figured out.

Happy New Year.

Bob

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ w/Clew
    Suspension
    JuneBug Buckles
    Thanks Bob. We are a family of 6, so yeah trying to limit stands i have to haul and set up, trying to find stand solutions to hang two hammocka from with a spreader bar that are not price adverse to buy or make 3. at home isnt a problem, but trying to find a tavel solution that can be used in floria state parks.

Got it. Thats a lot of gear no matter what. But.............worth it.

Maybe someone on here who runs a Scout Troop has a suggestion or two.

Good luck finding a solution.

Bob

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    CHeck out the tensahedron stand. There is a photo of several in a circle on here somewhere. I can’t seem to find it, but with a little research you might. I think it will be by far the least amount of material for multiple stands.

Or check this one below.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nsegrity+stand
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I think this is what you're looking for sunsetkyaker:

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/04/0...hammock-stand/

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I found it. The link should take you to the Tensahedron Stand page 100. Near the bottom is a photo of several stands on one tie down. It looks like a star.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=Tensahedron
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ w/Clew
    Suspension
    JuneBug Buckles
    My hubby tried to talk me into that 3 person tensgrity stand. Maybe we'll try it out. Im looking forward to latherdome's tensa flower at hancon.

Yeah, it is a lot of gear. Cajun nailed it when he watched us pack one day as "a hell of a 3d game of tetris."

This is way late, but it seems like the other posters weren't really answering your actual question and others may wonder the same thing. The short answer is that you can absolutely make a turtledog stand hold two hammocks where there's a spreader bar so they're side by side. But there are a couple of points you have to keep in mind.

Instead of the single vertical rope to hold 1 pole, you first suspend a spreader bar using two lines from the apex. If the bar is a ~standard 36" long, then you want it hanging at least 10" down (with lines on each side about 20-21" long). Otherwise you put really large compressive stress on the bar and correspondingly large tension on the suspending lines. So you may need the tripod to be a bit taller than usual to accommodate that drop. Once that's sorted, you can suspend the two ridge poles on short lines directly underneath the ends of the spreader bar. Better is to lash them directly to its ends to hold things square in the horizontal plane. That'll fight any tendency for things to rotate so that the rectangle turns into a parallelogram and the hammocks get closer to each other.

Before you start, though, you need to be sure that the tripods are rotated 180 degrees compared to the normal TD stand. Normally, the two legs which stick out to either side face inward toward the hammock and the ridge pole pokes out between them toward the opposite tripod. But here you want the single "in-line" leg facing inward so that the two sideways legs are on the outside away from the ridge poles. This avoids the ridge poles (which are not in the center) interfering with the tripod legs.

But, as with any spreader bar, the two ridge poles can move up and down as one or both people get in and out of the hammocks. So it's hard to hang a tarp draped directly over the two ridge poles. Conversely, the tops of the tripods are about a foot above the ridge poles, so a line between them will hold the tarp nice and high. It might still touch the two ridge poles slightly, but they can move around some without ripping out the anchoring stakes...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yeah, depending upon how well behaved the kids are, that could have been a pretty morbid question.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast