Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Chameleon; Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Dutchware 11’ Hex
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for starting this thread. I’m fairly new to hammock camping and I want to start out at State Parks.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    SANCTUARY SILTARP
    Insulation
    Eno Vulcan/Spark
    Suspension
    Kammok Python
    Does anyone have experience at Bear Head Lake? Specifically BP #3? I wasn't able to find anything recent online. I'm hoping I'll be able to hang...

Quote Originally Posted by Janette View Post
    Can you check on the group site while you’re there please? I’m on the look out for a group hang site.
    I'll be heading out for a one nighter Wednesday. I'll try and scout it out for you

Hammock
    Still deciding...
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Sil
    Insulation
    HG UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Blue_frost, regarding bear head. My buddy and I camped there in the fall. He was a ground dweller, but I found one really nice spot down by the water using some big branches of a pine tree. There were not any other really good spots right there in the site. Of course it is a beautiful forest, so if you go off path/away from the site a little there are many options.

If you want to DM me with your number I actually have a 50 second video of walking around the site I would be happy to text you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    SANCTUARY SILTARP
    Insulation
    Eno Vulcan/Spark
    Suspension
    Kammok Python
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanderMN View Post
    Blue_frost, regarding bear head. My buddy and I camped there in the fall. He was a ground dweller, but I found one really nice spot down by the water using some big branches of a pine tree. There were not any other really good spots right there in the site. Of course it is a beautiful forest, so if you go off path/away from the site a little there are many options.

If you want to DM me with your number I actually have a 50 second video of walking around the site I would be happy to text you.

Thanks! I've had issues getting videos to display on my phone sent from iPhones, but I'll reach out! I appreciate it!

Janette,

The roads in lake maria are open.

I poked my head into both group camps and saw 3-4 pretty good hanging spots at each. The Oak Hill group camp is almost directly on the trail to some of the backpacking sites, the White Pine site is much more secluded on the other side of the group camping parking lot. Unfortunately I wasn't able to snag any photos.

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorSharp View Post
    Too many to list within 2 hours of the Twin Cities. Along the big lake they call Gitche Gumee, #8 at Split Rock is very nice. Never been to Afton but will check it out some day.

Frankly, I prefer dispersed camping in the many state forests. I am agoraphobic so my favorite spots are where I don't see a soul for days.
    Do you have any recommendations for dispersed camping?
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Yes. Anywhere you can!.

What I tend to do is park at the gate or the head of a hunting/hiking trail in the winter and walk to a nearby campground when no one is there--or just walk into the woods a couple hundred yards. There is a little parking lot near where the Snake River flows into the St. Croix and a state trail gets you to the road into the campground a couple miles away. I had a very enjoyable walk there in Feb. I have also parked at the gate in Nemadji and Chengwana a few times.

Look on the MN DNR web site for hunting trails. There is always a place to park and you can walk down the trail and then into the woods far enough to be safe from gunfire--which is really not a realistic fear for the most part but better safe than sorry.

In Southern MN state forests are scarce. I have parked in Kruger Campground and walked into the woods there a few times.

That should get you started. Do your best to "leave no trace".

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    I’m going to be at Maria State Park this weekend. I’m taking my 12 year old daughter on her first backpacking trip. I’ll be in spot B1.

This happens to be really close to my house so I went out yesterday to see what the spot looks like and it’s fantastic!

I also looked at spots B2, B3, and, B6 on the way in and all of those would easily support hammocks.

I've stopped there and camped while biking to my cabin.

Great location, and they'll find a spot for any bikers who need a site.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Just found another one. Willow River campground. Most sites have good hanging trees but the high numbered sites have easier access to the river. 21 looked particularly good.

Didn't stay--just drove thru. No one was there! Not sure if that is the norm or if the blustery weather had something to do with it.

It is a first come first serve campground so get there early for the good spots.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12