Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps

VIDEO: Heart Lake in October

It seems like there are thousands of Heart Lakes.... Even in the area where we went, there are 3 Heart Lakes with in a 20 mile stretch just in Montana, not to mention the one just across the border in Idaho.

We went to the one I am calling "Big" Heart Lake.

It's just south of Superior, Montana on the Idaho / Montana border.

It is a very popular destination, so we waited till the end of the season to check it out. The trail in to the lake is only about 5 miles long and a gentle grade. Just like most alpine lakes, the trail gets steeper as you near the lake. It's not a tough climb though.

The views around the lake are outstanding! On the southwest side of the lake, the rock wall climbs high above the lake and serves as the border between Idaho & Montana.

It was a snowy trip as there was a little snow at the lake when we got there and then it snowed on us the first night. It was blowing and cold the next morning and all my thoughts were about gathering wood and keeping our fire going.

The weather broke in the afternoon and I took advantage of it and hiked up to another lake that is just above Heart Lake called, Pearl Lake. It was a pretty easy walk with a little hill that you had to get up.

On the walk out the weather turned our way and we got a beautiful sunny day to hike out in.

I just wanted to say thank you for watching our videos! It's been a great hiking season and I am glad that I get to share my videos here with this great community!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    For me the worst part about fall camping is the longer hours of darkness spent in the hammock or tent. Goats are neat critters, but can be a nuisance if they come into camp at night to lick the pee spots for salts. Beautiful lakes and mountains on that trip. Looks like your dog was having his self a time. Who was keeping who warm, the poodle or the gal?

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Nice video as always. Really liked the shots @4:36 beside the lake and @11:08 with the reflections in the water. The mountains are really pretty in that area.
    My Youtube Channel: A Year In Camping
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiu...6KWtT23dHHXj1w

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Beautiful scenery in that area. I also enjoyed the music in this video. Great job as usual.

Thanks for sharing.

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    For me the worst part about fall camping is the longer hours of darkness spent in the hammock or tent. Goats are neat critters, but can be a nuisance if they come into camp at night to lick the pee spots for salts. Beautiful lakes and mountains on that trip. Looks like your dog was having his self a time. Who was keeping who warm, the poodle or the gal?
    We didn't end up seeing any goats on that trip, though every other report I've seen said they'd encountered goats. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by InfuriatedMax View Post
    Nice video as always. Really liked the shots @4:36 beside the lake and @11:08 with the reflections in the water. The mountains are really pretty in that area.
    The lake was truly amazing. I only wish I could capture it better.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Beautiful scenery in that area. I also enjoyed the music in this video. Great job as usual.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you! Got to love a little banjo!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Econ Top/Under
    Suspension
    Straps w/ Beetles
    Thanks for sharing. Very enjoyable and relaxing. My nearly five year old son even enjoyed it and sat through the whole thing with me (thanks for keeping it clean). Amazing scenery.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    As usual I thoroughly enjoyed your video. I only wish I had the areas you have to hike in close to me. Looks like the pup was having a good time Thanks for taking the time to show us Easterners some of that beautiful western areas.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Checklist View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Very enjoyable and relaxing. My nearly five year old son even enjoyed it and sat through the whole thing with me (thanks for keeping it clean). Amazing scenery.
    I am glad that you both enjoyed it. Hopefully now your son tells you he wants to go out in to the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    As usual I thoroughly enjoyed your video. I only wish I had the areas you have to hike in close to me. Looks like the pup was having a good time Thanks for taking the time to show us Easterners some of that beautiful western areas.
    Funny, that is what I love about videos from Eastern backpackers / hammockers, is that is country I never get to hike so I love seeing what it is like.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I enjoyed your video & looks like it was a fun hike. I've only done 2 mid-to-high altitude hikes out west & would like to get back out there, especially up around that area you're in. Maybe one of these days I'll get the opportunity.

What manufacturer's dog pack did your pup use on the trip?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    I enjoyed your video & looks like it was a fun hike. I've only done 2 mid-to-high altitude hikes out west & would like to get back out there, especially up around that area you're in. Maybe one of these days I'll get the opportunity.

What manufacturer's dog pack did your pup use on the trip?
    I love it up here, though there are trails throughout the country that I hope to hike someday. Timber's (my dog) pack is made by ruffwear. I love this pack because it has a separate harness that the pack hooks into. This way I can take his pack off of him when we take breaks without having to take the whole pack off. Makes things a lot easier.

• + New Posts