Tarp
    Batona Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle Susp
    Images

Fabricating a hang structure in a tree treeless yard

I'm thinking about installing 4 by 6's to simulate trees in my yard to get acclimated with my new equipment. Unfortunately I do not have trees..

Let me know if this is a good approach.
    My hammock is a Dutch chameleon

4x6’s 8 Footers 2.5 feet into the ground, leaving 5.5 feet exposed. I also can get 12 Footers. They were also be surrounded by Quikrete.
    I can place them 13 feet apart, which minimized how high I have to go to get the right hang, but still allowed me to hang a tarp.. if you recommend me going water please explain why?

Is that the route you would go? Proper spacing?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm also a new backpacker and hammock user.
    Y NOT= TONY SPELLED BACKWARDS

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally would do 6 x 6 posts at least 12 feet tall and 15 ft. wide with a cross bar between the two posts. A 4 x 6 post that is 8 feet tall just isn't cutting it for me.

I've often thought of putting a couple of 12 ft. telephone poles in the back yard - no cross bar needed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    4 x 6 posts would work if you put a 2x4 crossbar situated vertically between the tops of the posts. I use this setup in my own back yard (my trees are too small). Make sure that the attachment between the posts and the crossbar is VERY secure (I used 4x4 posts and cut a tenon pocket halfway through the 4x4 for the 2x4 to fit into the top of post). Also, make sure that the post extends beyond the quickcrete an inch or two with a few inches of clean gravel at the bottom of the hole (you don't want a quickcrete "bucket" keeping your post submerged in water ... don't ask me how I know this). If I were to do it again I would use 4x6's and get longer posts to make the crossbar at least 7' high (I've created a headache or two with it). Currently my posts are just less than 14' apart and it's a little close together if I try to hang my tarp diagonally. Another hint ... pressure treated wood is surprisingly slippery ... double wrap your tree straps.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CorwinC View Post
    4 x 6 posts would work if you put a 2x4 crossbar situated vertically between the tops of the posts. I use this setup in my own back yard (my trees are too small). Make sure that the attachment between the posts and the crossbar is VERY secure (I used 4x4 posts and cut a tenon pocket halfway through the 4x4 for the 2x4 to fit into the top of post). Also, make sure that the post extends beyond the quickcrete an inch or two with a few inches of clean gravel at the bottom of the hole (you don't want a quickcrete "bucket" keeping your post submerged in water ... don't ask me how I know this). If I were to do it again I would use 4x6's and get longer posts to make the crossbar at least 7' high (I've created a headache or two with it). Currently my posts are just less than 14' apart and it's a little close together if I try to hang my tarp diagonally. Another hint ... pressure treated wood is surprisingly slippery ... double wrap your tree straps.
    Here is what I made.
    2 - 8' 2x2 posts for parking lot signage - 10' 2x6 - (4) 3' 2x4 - bolts and expanding foam for posts instead of concrete. Search it on Google and Lowe's. 2 Hook bolts. Buried posts at about 24"-30" deep. Works like a charm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Sorry forgot a big part - spacing was 14' apart. With my hooks I can hang from my continuous loops on one side and add a soft shackle to other loop and distance is covered.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've often thought of putting a couple of 12 ft. telephone poles in the back yard - no cross bar needed.
    I too have a strong desire for the telephone pole solution. I have heard that the power company replaces poles long before the end of their useful life and is eager to find people willing to take them. I have not pursued this route but if anyone else has any insight I'd be interested to hear about it.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I too have a strong desire for the telephone pole solution. I have heard that the power company replaces poles long before the end of their useful life and is eager to find people willing to take them. I have not pursued this route but if anyone else has any insight I'd be interested to hear about it.
    Not sure if they have them where live, but since im on the coast, every lumber yard around here sells pressure treated pilings. Basically a tree trunk (telephone pole) thats treated to sit in the bay/ocean to hold up docks or driven into the ground and used as stilts to raise a house.
    Thats the route id go instead of using a top cross section.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by y not View Post
    I'm thinking about installing 4 by 6's to simulate trees in my yard to get acclimated with my new equipment. Unfortunately I do not have trees..

Let me know if this is a good approach.
    My hammock is a Dutch chameleon

4x6’s 8 Footers 2.5 feet into the ground, leaving 5.5 feet exposed. I also can get 12 Footers. They were also be surrounded by Quikrete.
    I can place them 13 feet apart, which minimized how high I have to go to get the right hang, but still allowed me to hang a tarp.. if you recommend me going water please explain why?

Is that the route you would go? Proper spacing?
    This should work just fine but you'll have a little bit of bounce. Putting the header or double header on will make the structure rock solid.

Hammock
    dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Batona Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle Susp
    Images
    thank you for your replies! i will post my progress

Hammock
    dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Batona Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle Susp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CorwinC View Post
    corwin, how tall are your post out of the ground currently? you said your post are less the 14 foot wide... how many feet apart would you make them if you had to do it again?
    thank you for your reply

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast