Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Hello from Austin, Texas USA

Hi,

I have been doing outdoor activities and camping for years, but a couple of years ago some friends introduced me to hammock camping. Now I'm hooked, and do not want to go back to a tent, unless I have to (based on environment). I'm excited to join the Hammock Forums community to learn, and contribute where I can. My main rig is a Warebonnet Blackbird XLC (with whoopie slings) with a Superfly tarp.

I live in the Austin/Round Rock, Texas. I am seeking suggestions for good backpacking hammock camping places in Central Texas or the Southern Mid-west. Can someone recommend threads that already cover this, or recommend the right forum to post this type of question? Would it be the Outings>Southwest forum thread?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Uh, yes, hi there, the next group outing will be the goodwater lake loop. It's close to you so i assume you know the place? You can see the past year threads for the main Texas group hangs in the SW forum.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I live in Dallas. Don’t come down your way so much so I can t suggest locations but welcome to the group!

Welcome to hammock forums, and yes, the Southwest forum is probably the right place to peruse.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Drover View Post
    Hi,

I have been doing outdoor activities and camping for years, but a couple of years ago some friends introduced me to hammock camping. Now I'm hooked, and do not want to go back to a tent, unless I have to (based on environment). I'm excited to join the Hammock Forums community to learn, and contribute where I can. My main rig is a Warebonnet Blackbird XLC (with whoopie slings) with a Superfly tarp.

I live in the Austin/Round Rock, Texas. I am seeking suggestions for good backpacking hammock camping places in Central Texas or the Southern Mid-west. Can someone recommend threads that already cover this, or recommend the right forum to post this type of question? Would it be the Outings>Southwest forum thread?

Thanks.
    You posted an introductory message from Austin while the 'Horns were beating the Georgia Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl? I'm suspicious!

Welcome to the forum. You're too far south for me to have any worthwhile suggestions for you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    All: Thank you

Tony C: Thanks. I have hiked/camped sections of the goodwater trail multiple times (as an adult,with boy scouts), but have never done the entire loop in a single outing. We have hiked into Walnut Springs primitive camp, but not many hammock options there. The "drive-in" campsites (Russell Park, Cedar Breaks, Jim Hogg) have options for hammocks, but I enjoy primitive camping. It's been a few years since I camped at Tejas, but that was before I got into hammock camping, and I cannot remember if it would have good hammock camping options (i.e., good trees) for a group. Thanks for the tip on the "main Texas group hangs in the SW forum", I'll check it out.

My interests are: Hike in to primitive camping, hammock camping availability (i.e., good trees), and something cool to see (cave, waterfall, lake, river, cliffs, historic feature, etc.).

I have done the Granger Lake Comanche Trail. It is about 3 miles in and has good availabiltiy for group hammock camping, and is right on the river. I have also done Pedernales Stake Park. Enchanted Rock is a fun hike, and an AWESOME cave to explore, but the rangers frown on hammock camping there.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yeah, we're trying to educate the Enchanted Rock rangers. Just remember to be friendly and follow their rules until they know how little impact hammock camping has on the campground.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Howdy and welcome to the trees.

I was all set to suggest the Lone Star Hiking trail in the Sam Houston National Forest... it fills the order for, "Hike in to primitive camping, hammock camping availability (i.e., good trees)", but as for the , "something cool to see (cave, waterfall, lake, river, cliffs, historic feature, etc.)", that's more subjective. There's a lake and some smaller ponds, lots of trees, but it's primarily a walk in the woods.

The annual hike around Lake Georgetown that Tony C mentioned is typically April-ish. It's a supported hike. In other words, there's a couple of planned camp areas and water shuttle for slack packing and a support crew there to help with the feeding and beer hauling. It's fun for those of us whose schedules and fitness levels aren't as well suited for the hike as we help with the coffee and ice chests, and it's a way for those who like to go completely self contained to have some camp fire fellowship at the end of the day. Here's the link to last years planning thread.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts