Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I’d also be worried that the ridge seam would leak being upside down. And if the ridgeline has a cat cut, I doubt that would work. You could just mail your tarp to a cottage vendor and they would add the bits you need. It’s a simple modification.
    ya good point, didn't think about the leakage factor. how about using existing tieout points (3 on each side) and using those to do an internal pole mod?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    ya good point, didn't think about the leakage factor. how about using existing tieout points (3 on each side) and using those to do an internal pole mod?
    Take a look at my tarp I have up for sale right now. There are pics of what the pole mods look like. That’s the way UGQ does them. I believe some other styles are like a pocket instead of a grommet. My point is that it’s a simple concept that can be done many ways. So I imagine if you already had some of those plastic triangles installed like Warbonnet likes to use or even some of those Beastee Dee’s, you could just come up with a pole tip design that fits those nicely, maybe something similar to a trekking pole basket, then that would do the same trick.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    To an extent you are overthinking it...
    Typical Easton poles come in 13, 18, 26" lengths...

You want a little outward pull on the pole tips too.
    48" apart by 115%= 55"... probably more coincidence than anything as:

13" x 4 poles= 52" plus tips (or 2 x 26")
    18" x 3 poles= 54" plus tips (Coincidentally also half of a 9' tarp width and closer to the original math/design idea I'd think if one is seeking a magic formula).

Think like a vendor... we don't want to be custom trimming poles and adding labor to a relatively low cost accessory. So off the shelf parts are always ideal.

The external pole mod adds a nice little pop of space and gets the sides off your head or toes with the least amount of weight/cost.

If you really want a massive space increase then the full internal pole mods will do it, but you're nearly more than doubling each pole plus adding shock cord.
    You may even need more stakes/guylines too.

The other advantage though is they shed snow nicely... and so for winter when you're not making miles so much as making camp... 'Winter Palace' is an accurate name and worth the weight when you're hunkered down.
    For a little extra pop of space on a bridge or for a minimal tarp... it's not a bad ding on the scale to go with the external mod in fairer weather.

I like a little loop of shock cord tied to the pole mod tie out to hook onto the external pole mod personally. Light, quick, simple, especially when you have a beastie D style tie out already.
    3x18" is lighter than 4x13" and since the 18" goes easily with my bridge poles... I stick with that. Two 18" 'males' and one 18" female in the center does the job.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Don’t forget the center internal pole option though. Less weight than the two end internal poles, but similar weight to the two smaller external poles.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Don’t forget the center internal pole option though. Less weight than the two end internal poles, but similar weight to the two smaller external poles.
    Agree

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apygyt54yYPwg89eQbL399e7FGigKA

Though an Umbrella mod is handy too Randy.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apygyt54yYPwgt1Zs5n8YjxlQhhTyw

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    that's a lot to consider. two external poles, or 3/2/1 internal poles. i didn't want to buy pre-made vendor poles, since i want to consider options and then tailor the poles to what i need. i was hoping an easy formula would help come up with ideal pole lengths.

my new journey tarp from hammockgear is 112" from tie-out to tie-out (over the ridgeline). what would be the ideal pole length for internal pole mods? thinking about it, i guess it's physically impossible to use a longer pole than how far apart the tie-outs are spaced, especially with a dyneema tarp that has no stretch to it.
    Last edited by novasquid; 01-02-2019 at 14:12.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

DIY external pole mod, length of poles?

Another way to do the external poles is to just let them run wild and long like so:

FYI This is a UGQ 11’ wide body tarp and the poles are each 4’6” long.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I don't own another vendors internal pole mod... and the approach is not an exact fit model.

The internal pole mod in the brown tarp above is literally internal- it's in a pole sleeve like a dome tent and does require an exact fit as a result.

Most hammock vendors/hammock folks in general are talking about a pole a bit longer than your tarp's width that you wedge in at an angle... so it doesn't need to be exact.

But roughly...
    9*13"= 117" Not a bad size for a center pole, maybe a hair short for some models.

7*18"= 126" That would give you room to tailor and trim each end to work out the kinks.

The odd number is helpful as you get a female in the center... then males to either side with the female side of the tube (the trimmable end) pointing at the edges of the tarp.
    That allows you to balance the pole... trimming each final segment evenly as you go.

If you need the pole set to be compact for your bike; then 13" is probably better. (1 female, 8 male plus two tips).
    If you want to keep the weight down then the 18" is better. (1 female, 6 male plus two tips).

The 26" is probably too long for that tight of a radius.

That's basically the 'math' most of us do. Get in the ballpark then prototype to final. A zero stretch Cuben tarp may want a little shorter pole so as not to stress things as you wedge the pole into place. A stetchy Nylon may want a longer pole so it's not sloppy. There's also exactly how your pole tip slots in/attaches... so maybe you have a 1" tab... maybe another guy has 2" to the end of his (relative to tarp size).

Quest outfitters or Tent Pole Technologies are the two companies I use.
    There are bargains out there... but I only like using genuine Easton Poles (.433 Nanolights)

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Another way to do the external poles is to just let them run wild and long like so:

FYI This is a UGQ 11’ wide body tarp and the poles are each 4’6” long.
    Nice way to do it as well...

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I don't own another vendors internal pole mod... and the approach is not an exact fit model.

The internal pole mod in the brown tarp above is literally internal- it's in a pole sleeve like a dome tent and does require an exact fit as a result.

Most hammock vendors/hammock folks in general are talking about a pole a bit longer than your tarp's width that you wedge in at an angle... so it doesn't need to be exact.

But roughly...
    9*13"= 117" Not a bad size for a center pole, maybe a hair short for some models.

7*18"= 126" That would give you room to tailor and trim each end to work out the kinks.

The odd number is helpful as you get a female in the center... then males to either side with the female side of the tube (the trimmable end) pointing at the edges of the tarp.
    That allows you to balance the pole... trimming each final segment evenly as you go.

If you need the pole set to be compact for your bike; then 13" is probably better. (1 female, 8 male plus two tips).
    If you want to keep the weight down then the 18" is better. (1 female, 6 male plus two tips).

The 26" is probably too long for that tight of a radius.

That's basically the 'math' most of us do. Get in the ballpark then prototype to final. A zero stretch Cuben tarp may want a little shorter pole so as not to stress things as you wedge the pole into place. A stetchy Nylon may want a longer pole so it's not sloppy. There's also exactly how your pole tip slots in/attaches... so maybe you have a 1" tab... maybe another guy has 2" to the end of his (relative to tarp size).

Quest outfitters or Tent Pole Technologies are the two companies I use.
    There are bargains out there... but I only like using genuine Easton Poles (.433 Nanolights)
    Are there any carbon fiber poles strong enough to be an internal pole that would end up being notably lighter than aluminum?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast