Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images

Hanging with a dog

Hi,
    Anyone who hangs with his/hers dog? Any sort of dogs hammocks on the market? Anything that needs be considered, especially in colder climates?

Thanks

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Dutch has a "pup tent" there is also a pet bugnet thing online somewhere!!!

Hammock
    HH Jungle Safari Zip
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon Poly
    Insulation
    HH Pad Wool Fleece
    Suspension
    Stock
    For warmth I've got a reflectix pad for my Aussie to lie on, she likes to be right under the hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    What type of dog are you inquiring about?
    The personality of your dog is the deciding factor on where pup will sleep. Some dogs want to pick their own spot and are trustworthy to pick their sleep lair. My Bouviers want to be close so I put down Tyvek pad. If the weather is really cold the dog gets a coat. Our body heat & tarp keep us cozy, just like a built in heater.

My Chow Chow was basically a Artic dog, she picked her own spot. If we had snow she would look like a bump in the landscape, then stand up and shake off the snow all ready to go. My raptor snack bait dog (tiny) sleeps on my stomach or glued next to me.

My Bouvie pup loves hammocks so I bought a cheap GE for him. I also bought a unfinished bridge for him. I think the bridge might work best when he reaches adult size and be less to chew vs a G.E.

GO with your dogs breeding. Some dogs hunt and love to run so it is best to keep them corralled when you sleep. Where you Hang is also a factor, dogs tease some critters like bears to name a few. I have had dogs that baited bears and brought the bear home to me-- Not a good thing. Lots of options a kids tent work well also for some dogs.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images
    The dog us a Jack Russel, and I hang mostly in the Swedish forest from autumn to early spring. Not much snow but lots of ice, bears are quite shy and usually not an issue, but wolves might be.
    It's a tough dog but may be cold. Too big/heavy for being in my own hammock, but perhaps a small tent under the tarp...

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    My dog doesn't even like swiveling chairs so she never spends more than a minute in the hammock.
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    We live part time in northetn B.C. Canada. Some bears are not shy and like dog meat. Dogs often bait bears so I keep my dog close. Wolves I see but always far away. To my limited knowledge the wolves leave the dogs alone for the most part. Females are an exception. Your wolves might be different than ours.

Your Jackie might need a coat to keep its underneath warm.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4/Dutch pup tent
    Tarp
    RSBTR HEX12 DIY
    Insulation
    HG 0*/40*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Well before she became too big she would sleep between my legs in the hammock, now that she has hit 65 lbs shes too big for that I just ordered the pup tent from Dutch so I can't wait to give it a try.
    20180421_061603.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    The dog us a Jack Russel, and I hang mostly in the Swedish forest from autumn to early spring. Not much snow but lots of ice, bears are quite shy and usually not an issue, but wolves might be.
    It's a tough dog but may be cold. Too big/heavy for being in my own hammock, but perhaps a small tent under the tarp...
    A Jack Russell is too big to sleep with you in your hammock? I thought their maximum weight was about 17 lbs. My 41 lb. beagle Joey always sleeps in the hammock with me. Joey couldn't possibly have his own tent - he could escape anything with just bugnet or nylon in seconds, and he would be chasing scents and end up miles away in mere minutes. I'm a light sleeper, but when Joey gets off his leash he can really travel, and I'm just too old to chase him. He can chew through a leash in less than a minute, if left alone to do so. Last week Joey escaped his leash and logged two miles in less than 17 minutes. I haven't run that hard in years, and I hope I never do again.

Since Jack Russells are hunting dogs, I would think they would have the same urge to escape any little tent you might construct for him/her.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-01-2019 at 21:07.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A Jack Russell is too big to sleep with you in your hammock? I thought their maximum weight was about 17 lbs. My 41 lb. beagle Joey always sleeps in the hammock with me. Joey couldn't possibly have his own tent - he could escape anything with just bugnet or nylon in seconds, and he would be chasing scents and end up miles away in mere minutes. I'm a light sleeper, but when Joey gets off his leash he can really travel, and I'm just too old to chase him. He can chew through a leash in less than a minute, if left alone to do so. Last week Joey escaped his leash and logged two miles in less than 17 minutes. I haven't run that hard in years, and I hope I never do again.

Since Jack Russells are hunting dogs, I would think they would have the same urge to escape any little tent you might construct for him/her.
    I love the adventures you post from Joey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast