Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

☃ ViDEO: Layering Underquilts and Top Quilts for Deep Winter Camping

Deep Winter is upon us and seems the question of stacking UQs and TQs always comes up this time of year. Seen asked about right on here a few times lately.
    Hope this video gives some insight into the Winter art of stacking and layering.
    I have done a good bit of this in my deep Winter escapades. Very effective.
    Also included the stacking temp chart from Enlightened Equipment though it is mainly on sleeping bags but temps will correlate to UQs as well.
    Give yourself a buffer and don't try to stretch the low temps more than you are comfortable with.
    Deep Winter camp at your own risk~~~~~
    Shug
    Lord of Lollygag

Old friend Timmy in my JRB Hudson River in UQ mode with Frankenquilt stacked against it in 2011.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I needed this!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    This is great timing as I've just spent the last 4 nights in the backyard stacking my underquilts. I have a long/wide 0 degree Zeppelin and a 30 degree standard Incubator. I've opted to put the 30 degree on the inside (closest to the hammock) and the 0 degree on the outside for a few reasons:

1. The standard length seems to nest perfectly inside the long/wide. The Incubator has that built-in leg shelf that snugs up so nicely around the legs...I figured that would be best if it was right up under the hammock as the first quilt
    2. The cinch ends seem almost fool-proof this way as there are now 2 layers of baffles at each end. It seems almost impossible for drafts to penetrate both layers.
    3. I thought the heavier 0 degree would function best on the outside as it is heavier and pulls down a bit more.

I may be doing this wrong and might experiment with doing it the other way but it is noticably warmer than using a single quilt. It's only got down to about -8C but in the past even at those temps I've had issues with the odd cold spot using just the 0 degree (I know this is user error but it is tough to get a heavy 0 degree quilt set just right...). By stacking the two it has totally eliminated any cold spots. I'm anxious to try this set-up out when it gets a lot colder to see how low I can comfortably take it.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    Good timing indeed! I was planning on layering some quilts for the first time when I get home. I think the little shock cord extension will be a big help to me. Thanks for another great video

Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    I needed this!!
    As do I. Impeccable timing, O Lord of Lollygag.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Great timing - I got my winter stuff out a couple days ago. Thank you, Happy New Year and have a great 2019.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Nice touch with the cable cam. I would like to see it slowed down a touch if possible. It seemed like you had to speed up a little to keep up. Maybe you could try mirroring the image when you go the opposite way to make that transition a little smoother.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    I needed this!!
    I knew that~~~~!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    This is great timing as I've just spent the last 4 nights in the backyard stacking my underquilts. I have a long/wide 0 degree Zeppelin and a 30 degree standard Incubator. I've opted to put the 30 degree on the inside (closest to the hammock) and the 0 degree on the outside for a few reasons:

1. The standard length seems to nest perfectly inside the long/wide. The Incubator has that built-in leg shelf that snugs up so nicely around the legs...I figured that would be best if it was right up under the hammock as the first quilt
    2. The cinch ends seem almost fool-proof this way as there are now 2 layers of baffles at each end. It seems almost impossible for drafts to penetrate both layers.
    3. I thought the heavier 0 degree would function best on the outside as it is heavier and pulls down a bit more.

I may be doing this wrong and might experiment with doing it the other way but it is noticably warmer than using a single quilt. It's only got down to about -8C but in the past even at those temps I've had issues with the odd cold spot using just the 0 degree (I know this is user error but it is tough to get a heavy 0 degree quilt set just right...). By stacking the two it has totally eliminated any cold spots. I'm anxious to try this set-up out when it gets a lot colder to see how low I can comfortably take it.
    Not really sure it matters which is in or outside. Whatever works and keeps a feller warm.
    I like the heavier against me and the outside one pulling it up just enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadug View Post
    Good timing indeed! I was planning on layering some quilts for the first time when I get home. I think the little shock cord extension will be a big help to me. Thanks for another great video
    Yessir...try not to compress too much.

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    As do I. Impeccable timing, O Lord of Lollygag.
    Cheers.
    Lord of Lollygag takes a sweeping bow.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Great timing - I got my winter stuff out a couple days ago. Thank you, Happy New Year and have a great 2019.
    Time to play in the chill.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Nice touch with the cable cam. I would like to see it slowed down a touch if possible. It seemed like you had to speed up a little to keep up. Maybe you could try mirroring the image when you go the opposite way to make that transition a little smoother.
    It is a new rig and still learning it.

Shug,

Thank you for producing this video. It answered a lot of questions I had. Seeing how the different techniques were applied, was very, very helpful.

Happy 2019.

BTW that Christmas Hammock Ornament on your tree, at the end of the video is fabulous.
    Last edited by Draketake; 12-31-2018 at 19:46.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bumping this as it is bound to come up as Winter is here!
    Shug

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast