Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Bumping this as it is bound to come up as Winter is here!
    Shug
    Glad you thought of bumping! Thanks Shug!

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    FYI this works well. thanks Shug. I did at the Grayson Highlands winter hang and was toasty and comfy in the hammock.. Outside the hammock not bad but not as warm as in
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    FYI this works well. thanks Shug. I did at the Grayson Highlands winter hang and was toasty and comfy in the hammock.. Outside the hammock not bad but not as warm as in
    Nice to be warm and get that loooooong slumber ain't it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Glad you thought of bumping! Thanks Shug!
    Tis the time~~~

Images
    I have a question: has any one tried laying a down or synthetic parka or whatever clothing is not being worn to sleep in, between the UQ and hammock? I used to do this in both my HHSS and Speer Pea Pod, when using them well below their ratings, and it has always worked like a charm for me. But I've never tried this with a regular UQ, short or long. But I don't see why it would be any different than what I have done with a Pea Pod, or HHSS. Or even stacking UQs, except for one thing: the extra UQ has an extra suspension.

In either case, we would have to not have the outer quilt snug enough to crush significant loft on he inner quilt. An advantage to having at least one dif cut UQ on the inside is you could have it really snug against the hammock. You would just have to be careful not too tighten the suspension on the outer quilt too much.

But laying a parka inside an UQ, you would have to be extra careful not to tighten the UQ too much, because you would just flatten the parka. With the Pea Pod, this was easy, because I would just adjust the pod so that I had a couple of inch gap under the occupied hammock, and fill it with whatever I was using, often a parka or vest.

But has any one experimented using clothing - or even just a light quilt- simply laid inside an UQ, using only the one suspension?

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have a question: has any one tried laying a down or synthetic parka or whatever clothing is not being worn to sleep in, between the UQ and hammock? I used to do this in both my HHSS and Speer Pea Pod, when using them well below their ratings, and it has always worked like a charm for me. But I've never tried this with a regular UQ, short or long. But I don't see why it would be any different than what I have done with a Pea Pod, or HHSS. Or even stacking UQs, except for one thing: the extra UQ has an extra suspension.

In either case, we would have to not have the outer quilt snug enough to crush significant loft on he inner quilt. An advantage to having at least one dif cut UQ on the inside is you could have it really snug against the hammock. You would just have to be careful not too tighten the suspension on the outer quilt too much.

But laying a parka inside an UQ, you would have to be extra careful not to tighten the UQ too much, because you would just flatten the parka. With the Pea Pod, this was easy, because I would just adjust the pod so that I had a couple of inch gap under the occupied hammock, and fill it with whatever I was using, often a parka or vest.

But has any one experimented using clothing - or even just a light quilt- simply laid inside an UQ, using only the one suspension?
    Just the very question I was kinda looking for an answer to. Only I do not have a down Parka. Motorcycle jackets which weigh a lot and really only block the wind. Extra gear is only a woobie and Poncho, to add to my UQ and or OQ. If I got cold where would my Woobie and poncho best be used for the night? …..Under or Over??

Thinking ahead ………..if the answers are only = depends on the Wind and weather. I would like reasons and science , Please. I like to be warm and hate to be wrong even though it may only be a weather probable solution.
    Last edited by mbarr10; 12-16-2019 at 22:00.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

I don't feel a little compression of down is avoidable and not having gaps in the UQ. Suspension would need to be tightened but I am sure it would add over-all warmth set up properly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12