Hello from the rainy Pacific Northwest

Howdy! I have recently returned to backpacking after a 20 year absence. I’m currently using a Zpacks Duplex as my shelter system, and want to go to the air! I had a CHEAP travel hammock for a season, and was hit and miss on getting the setup correct, until I ended up ripping it out in the middle of the night and sleeping on the ground by accident (good times!!). I’m in the market for a ‘real’ hammock now as the few nights I did get my set up correct were blissful.

There are so many options out there today that it is very overwhelming, so any advice is much appreciated.

I have watched hundreds of YouTube videos (thanks to all content creators for the information), on set-ups and how to correctly suspend your hammock, now all I need to do is get one, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums from the raining South East We've had over 10" of rain in the last 3 weeks so the weather is stinking in these parts. I would start with checking out the vendors section of this forums for our cottage vendors that we all love and support. Also be sure to check the for sale section as a lot of nice hammocks have been and will be showing up and some good deal can be had. I would recommend checking out Warbonnets BlackBird line as well as the Warbonnet Ridgerunner line, Dutchware gears Chameleon, SimplyLightDesigns Trail Lair, the list goes on and one. If you have any particular questions fire away as this group is friendly and willing to help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots
    Welcome! I'm in Portland, and I've found that the most helpful thing in getting set up right in the PNW, given our big tree trunks, is a long set of tree straps (as opposed to the short straps plus whoopies that can be a few ounces lighter). I find it's much easier to get a good angle in various scenarios (YMMV) with straps and buckles/knots vs. short straps and whoopies.

As for hammocks, I haven't tried them all, but I love Warbonnet's stuff. The Wooki underquilt design makes good sense to me, and preserves comfort/flexibility in a way that other shock-coord underquilts don't. Their Eldorado model has a lot of bang for your buck, too, given the ability to upgrade to a winter top cover later if you need one. I also have a Ridgerunner, and like it a lot. People who've never been hammock camping dig that one because it's more obviously a flat lay, but I think gathered end stuff, once you find the sweet spot, can be just as comfy, and a little simpler/lighter.

Have fun exploring!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Welcome!

I'm in Vancouver (WA) and echo the above on getting the long tree straps. 12-15 ft should work. Dutchware has light ones with great hardware, and Bend's Meyerstech on eBay sells long straps and systems to avoid hardware if you're so inclined.

This site is dangerous. I've rapidly collected secondhand: Dream Hammock Sparrow (with a Raven on the way) plus a new Warbonnet Ridgerunner I picked up during end of year sales. Bunch of tarps of different sizes and quilts, too.

But all the insane gear collecting happened in the past couple months, so I've only actually been under the trees in my old Hennessy Hammock. Ridiculous. It's a great entry to hanging and the tarps come built in but they're smaller, less comfortable, and definitely heavier than newer options.

Honestly: getting virtually any hammock from the cottage vendors here is going to do *great* by you. Warbonnet has a reputation for being sightly harder to get the ideal hang (or take some fiddling to dial in, far as I can tell from the forums) but The People love their stuff. Dutchware, Dream Hammock get high marks. I'd opt for a bugnet but that's my bias.

Hammock Gear has a new hammock that looks inexpensive and solid, too.

Watch the For Sale section and you can score lots of used gear, which makes a good way to try things out until you land on a combo that meets your needs. That's my plan for all my stuff once the rain eases up.

Hope this doesn't make your overwhelming choices harder!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MountainFly
    Insulation
    Magma + Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Tacoma here! Welcome and enjoy. Long tree straps are a must, and from most accounts you won't go wrong with a Dutchware or Dream Hammock or Warbonnet.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    I went straight for the Dutchware Chameleon and have loved it ever since. Sure there are other lighter hammock but the fact that I can go nestless, attached a net, or use a solid top cover for winter sold me. Not to mention all the other mods you can add. Dutch sure makes some sick stuff!

• + New Posts