Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Knots with spider web 1.5

Hello everyone, I have a birthday coming up so I'm looking at getting myself some new tree straps and trying out an all webbing suspension with the Becket Hitch. Does anyone have experience with using the Spider Web 1.5 straps for the Becket Hitch / J-Bend?

Does the tight weave / stiffness of the webbing make tying knots harder / put more wear on the continuous loops?

Do you have any other strap recommendations for an all webbing suspension?

I've been looking through the forums for testinonials but I've only found a few whispers scattered about.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Im using the 1.5 spider webbing with the becket hitch. Here are my thoughts so far..

Extremly light weight- TBH I didnt feel super secure bc the straps are so light. They feel like ribbon, not webbing to suspend a human. But its been holding up well.

After my first use, the webbing likes to bind up on itself, Which is bad for the tree. You have to manually flatten out the straps after each use.

Ive had some issues untying the becket hitch after laying in the hammock. You gotta give it a good yank which makes me a bit nervous bc of the fragile feeling of the webbing. But im sure Dutch has done his testing and im sure they will be fine.

Its a little more work using these but that comes with UL territory

Images
    The spider web 1.5 isn't a stiff webbing by any means. If it was thicker it probably would be, but it's shockingly thin, almost like grosgrain ribbon. Tying knots is no problem - untying them after loading can be a little bit trickier. Becket hitch requires a really sharp tug to come undone, in my experience. The webbing stays a little bunched (not flat) after tying knots, but it's so thin it's not really an issue. If you had thoughts of using it with a marlinspike hitch, that works too, but the knot is smaller and less bulky than with traditional webbing, which puts a greater pressure concentration on the toggle. So consider a solid toggle or Ti tubing.

One of my hardware-free suspensions uses spider web 1.5 huggers connected to muletape. The muletape has a sewn loop on one end, which I join to the end loop on the spider web hugger using a loop to loop knot. Then Becket hitch the muletape to the hammock's continuous loop. However, using a longer spider web strap and tying the Becket hitch directly from the spider web to the hammock CL is a lighter, simpler option.

Images
    Seems the previous poster and I have had very similar thoughts/experience with it. Lol

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Im using the 1.5 spider webbing with the becket hitch. Here are my thoughts so far..

Extremly light weight- TBH I didnt feel super secure bc the straps are so light. They feel like ribbon, not webbing to suspend a human. But its been holding up well.

After my first use, the webbing likes to bind up on itself, Which is bad for the tree. You have to manually flatten out the straps after each use.

Ive had some issues untying the becket hitch after laying in the hammock. You gotta give it a good yank which makes me a bit nervous bc of the fragile feeling of the webbing. But im sure Dutch has done his testing and im sure they will be fine.

Its a little more work using these but that comes with UL territory
    I used the Spider Web 1.5 straps all summer, including a couple of 3 night backpacking trips, and I would echo everything blue indian said. I am 6'2" & 260 lbs and they held me without a hiccup. It does take a very sharp jerk to release a becket hitch after an overnight but it always comes loose with no wear or fraying. You do have to take care to flatten the webbing around a tree and to help with that I use 15' straps and go around the trees twice. The 15' straps still only weigh 1.85 oz for the pair and when folded, can both be held almost completely in one closed fist. They are great for weight and space conscious backpackers and my go to suspension for extended backpacking trips.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    I only have the 2.0, but I'd suspect it applies.
    Becket will often slip. If it slips down to the loop/stitching it can be a real pain to get out.
    J bend works fine although the knot your left with in the webbing after undoing the hitch part is a little harder to pull out then expected but still doable.

The webbing is very supple be normal webbing standards. It may be 1" wide but after hanging it's often 3/4 or even 1/2 inch as it rolls on itself.

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Hey everyone, thank you so much for the feedback!

Chapinb, are you seeing the Becket Hitch slip with this webbing more than another type of webbing or are you getting the hitch to slip regardless of material?

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    I dont have much experiance with regular poly webbing other then my test stand. Iv never had poly webbing slip there. The spider webbing I can usually get to stay put, but I wouldnt trust it personally, spider on amsteel is just to slick. The j bend has not slipped however.
    Iv never had a marlin spike slip.
    Again this is with 2.0, not sure how the thinner 1.5 holds

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I have been using the 1.5 and becket all summer also. Very happy with the
    setup. About 30 nights with the system. I do have to tug on the knot
    every once in a while. I find it fast, simple and effective for my usage.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I've been using the spider web webbing with a marlin spike hitch with great success. I've not tried it with a Beckett hitch - I like the kevlar straps as they're a bit stiffer and easier to use in that application for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast