Hammock
    MYOG 1.6HyperD 11'
    Tarp
    MYOG Silpoly 12x12
    Suspension
    Venom straps & MSH

1/8" CCF pad between hammock and wookie(like) UQ?

I tried searching all over to see if this question has been answered before, but I only found one about a wookie and and inflatable insulated pad.

I am really looking to simplify my system, and add some versitility with a 1/8"CCF pad. But the main advantage is that my lower insulation could then gain a second purpose: I could replace my sitpad, and use the pad to "frame" my frameless pack. This would also mean I could make a lightweight "summer" underquilt with apex sewn to a secondary lightweight (membrane?) fabric in the same shape as my hammock. I imagine this could function similar to a double-layer hammock. people stuff pads into those all the time.

Has anyone tried this before? Is there not enough tension on the UQ to keep the pad tight to your form? I don't have a 1/8" pad yet, but I'm hoping I can get a wider one that GG sells, so I can cut it into a better shape for insulation. I'm guessing not all CCF is created the same... Sources wanted!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If I'm understanding what you are asking here and that is putting your pad on top of your bottom quilt, I wouldn't recommend it. The key to the under quilt is keeping it as close to you as possible. If you are going to use a pad you can put it in the hammock with you.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.6HyperD 11'
    Tarp
    MYOG Silpoly 12x12
    Suspension
    Venom straps & MSH
    I toss and turn often, so I want to avoid putting the pad inside the hammock with me. So I am curious about how well this will work. People are frequently quoted as putting a pad between a double layered hammock, so I don't understand why it would be any different for putting a pad between a single layer hammock and a wookie-like UQ.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I’ve been considering the same idea. To use my Gossamer Pad in the hammock. Where I hit a wall is with the dual purpose aspect. If I lay my pad out on damp ground, fold it and sit on a wet rock or log, or whatever, it gets wet, it gets dirty and it will not be desirable inside my bed.
    Try it at home. On a rainy day go out and sit on your pad on the wet ground for 10 minutes then pick it up and carry it to the bedroom and tell your significant other to scoot over, “I need to slide this wet, dirty pad under the sheets”.
    I can’t get past that. If I could I would take my thinlite pad with me.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As you mentioned, maybe get the GG Thinlight and experiment with it.

As described, I think you're going to have a devil of a time keeping it all snugged up and draft-free, but maybe it will work for you. I've seen photos showing how some folks have modded CCF pads by cutting out wedges/notches and re-gluing the pad to give it a more body-mapping, concave shape.

However, what might at first seem like something that simplifies things can actually make them more complicated and annoying. You don't know until you use it out on the trail and discover unanticipated consequences. And there's nothing wrong with that... we learn from things that don't work as much as (or more than!) we learn those that do.

Personally, however, I experimented only briefly with air mats and CCF and absolutely could not stand them... nothing better than a nice, single layer hammock and appropriate temp rated and well-adjusted UQ.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod337 View Post
    I toss and turn often, so I want to avoid putting the pad inside the hammock with me. So I am curious about how well this will work. People are frequently quoted as putting a pad between a double layered hammock, so I don't understand why it would be any different for putting a pad between a single layer hammock and a wookie-like UQ.
    I have a double layer WBB XLC which I use a pad in sometimes, the bottom layer holds the pad so if I put an underquilt on none of the weight of the pad would be on the underquilt. What you are attempting would put all the weight of the pad resting on the UQ, potentially pulling it away from bottom of hammock and your body. The type pad you are thinking of might be light enough that it’s not a problem, I don’t know, and if it is like a wookie and is essentially another layer it may work ok.

• + New Posts