Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Hey Bobo, trout are different than bass in the fact they thrive in cold water. They are alike in the way you fish slow and deep for bass in the winter, same holds for trout. April and May brings hatches where you can use dry flies, think top water for bass.

To all, I spoke with someone in the office for the national Forest that encompasses aformentioned trout streams. They gave me several places to check for camping. They informed me that while camping on the creeper trail is not allowed, if a camp was previously set up then nothing would be said. I gave my word we would respect the land and clean up behind ourselves. There are campgrounds in Damascus, but none are open in March which is the month we seem to be shooting for. Good news is we should have the streams to ourselves.
    As for fly fishing, if you want to try I will attempt to help. But please know, I am no expert with a fly rod and would much rather everyone bring rods they are comfortable with and catch fish then spend the weekend hung up in trees. These are small streams so roll casts and mending line will be what you want to YouTube and practice. Overhead backcasts are out of the question due to folage.
    I use an odd combo of a fly rod with a spinning reel taped on. I love the length and reach I get with my fly rod as well as the feel, but like the spinning reel better as well as spinning rod bait options. Small spinners, small minnow imitations, egg patterns, etc.
    I'm getting ready to order a HG underquild and hope it arrives in time. If not, I'll just have to stack sleeping bags together. Lol

Hammock
    Ridge runner
    Tarp
    Journey 12’
    Insulation
    JRB 0* Top/Bottom
    Sounds just like what I am use to in PA. Except that lures should be single hooked bent or no barbed.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinjim View Post
    Any thoughts on dates yet? I am going on a trout fishing trip end of April for a week in PA. Wouldn’t mind trying new waters before that.
    Someone mentioned the second weekend in March, which works for me as well.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    Quote Originally Posted by Familyman13 View Post
    To all, I spoke with someone in the office for the national Forest that encompasses aformentioned trout streams. They gave me several places to check for camping. They informed me that while camping on the creeper trail is not allowed, if a camp was previously set up then nothing would be said. I gave my word we would respect the land and clean up behind ourselves. There are campgrounds in Damascus, but none are open in March which is the month we seem to be shooting for. Good news is we should have the streams to ourselves.
    As for fly fishing, if you want to try I will attempt to help. But please know, I am no expert with a fly rod and would much rather everyone bring rods they are comfortable with and catch fish then spend the weekend hung up in trees. These are small streams so roll casts and mending line will be what you want to YouTube and practice. Overhead backcasts are out of the question due to folage.
    I use an odd combo of a fly rod with a spinning reel taped on. I love the length and reach I get with my fly rod as well as the feel, but like the spinning reel better as well as spinning rod bait options. Small spinners, small minnow imitations, egg patterns, etc.
    I'm getting ready to order a HG underquild and hope it arrives in time. If not, I'll just have to stack sleeping bags together. Lol
    That sounds awesome, I may have to give that a try! Also, the second weekend in March (7-10) is the Yates Place Hang down here in NC, its one of our big ones each year. If y'all end up doing the fish n' hang then, I probably won't be able to make it. Its certainly not all about me, but the weekend prior to that one is available if it works for y'all
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Went out there yesterday to locate a good camping spot and fish. Found 2 nice spots to camp. First is right off the road and already established with a rock circle for a fire pit. At most 4 people could camp there with hammocks. The other is roughly 200 yards from a parking lot, but you have to cross the creek. If camped there, it would allow is to spread out and be right on a great fishing hole the second we get up. I actually caught a nice brown out of it yesterday. As far r the date, I'm open to first or second weekend of March. I'll do a majority rules thing. I don't care either way. IMG_20190202_145616.jpg
    If the pictures post, i never posted pictures here, then you will have an idea of the stream and the far bank is where I was looking at camping. Just a thought. I'm good with the established camp site as well.

IMG_20190202_134616.jpg
    This pic is either the established camp site or the stream. Not sure which.

Hammock
    Ridge runner
    Tarp
    Journey 12’
    Insulation
    JRB 0* Top/Bottom
    Looks good. I am off March 7-11 so needless to say that weekend is good for me.

So we have 1 for first weekend and 1 for second. Anyone want to be the time breaker?

Ok fishing Jim, looks like it's the weekend of the 8,9, and 10th. Looks as though it may just be us. Everyone is welcome to come

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast