Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Don't forget a hot water bottle in cold weather. A Nalgene filled with near boiling water just before bedtime and covered with a thick wool sock will really help to warm you up if held between your legs near the femoral arteries.

Eat a warm meal before bedtime and have a snack ready in the hammock in case you wakeful cold at 4:00 am. (I like Snickers).

Quote Originally Posted by Orthofingers View Post
    Don't forget a hot water bottle in cold weather. A Nalgene filled with near boiling water just before bedtime and covered with a thick wool sock will really help to warm you up if held between your legs near the femoral arteries.

Eat a warm meal before bedtime and have a snack ready in the hammock in case you wakeful cold at 4:00 am. (I like Snickers).
    Both are great tips. I use a stainless steel bottle with a neophrene sleeve to help with the quilt warning.

My pick for a middle of the night chocolate fix is the Butterfinger Crisps. They don't freeze solid, no matter how low the temp goes and you won't break a tooth off trying to get through them.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    michigandave, Just a note that the idea behind the water bottle it to let the heat radiate into the top quilt. The sock or sleeve is only to prevent a possible burning of the skin because initially the bottle is so hot. Your stainless steel bottle and neoprene sound like insulating elements (especially if that bottle is a thermos). That is, they are designed to keep the heat in.

I suppose if that is just a straight bottle - not a thermos of any kind - it would transfer heat. But just reflect on items whose property is the keep heat in - because as much as possible you want the heat out. ... As long as you don't burn adjacent skin.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SlothandFox View Post
    I haven't gone down that low, but I know my tent creates a pocket of insulated air that helps regulate the air temperature. The tent works well with TQ/UQs. I'll let you borrow one if you treat it like a piece of your friend's gear.

Attachment 171124
    Attachment 171125
    What tent is this?
    Has it been modified or is it stock?
    How long is the hammock?

It looks like it would block wind/rain/snow from all directions with the doors closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    What tent is this?
    Has it been modified or is it stock?
    How long is the hammock?

It looks like it would block wind/rain/snow from all directions with the doors closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's my stock design. The tent design is brand new. It fits a 10' hammock with two suspensions, or longer as long as the fixed ridgeline is 120" or less. It does block weather very well. I planned to test out the lower limits this weekend but instead of -40, we got +40 degrees in Minnesota. I will follow up.
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123