Hammock
    MYOG 1.6HyperD 11'
    Tarp
    MYOG Silpoly 12x12
    Suspension
    Venom straps & MSH

GE Hammock fabric strength XL vs Regular, and other UL hammock musings.

I just made a new UL hammock for my wife using 1.0 HyperD. It is a standard width (58-60"). It's gloriously soft and light. RSBTR gives hammocks of this fabric a 200lb limit, and while my wife is well below this limit, I am not. I hover around 190, but I have been known to fluctuate towards 2-bills. I didn't want to cut it this close for the sake of a few ounces, so I figured I would just use the 1.0 ROBIC XL (I don't believe it's sold anymore). It's not as soft, and not as light, but it's pretty light. RSBRT gives this hammock a weight limit of 225lb. This makes me feel safer. However, I had never used an XL wide hammock before. After a few nights in the XL, I find the extra width to be more an annoyance than anything. So I was thinking about trimming it back to the usual 60" width, but this got me thinking:

Does the weight limit of the fabric assume the full width of the fabric is being used?? By removing 10% of the width, am I just reducing the weight limit? I suspect this is the case. If so, it would likely benefit me to simply get some of the 1.2 MTN or 1.1MTN XL, and cut it down instead of cutting my existing UL hammock.

As an aside, because I don't want to create another thread to clutter up the forum: Is whipping a hammock with a double sheet bend going to be stronger than a triple stitched end channel? I like the clean look of the sewn channel, but function>>>form.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    The hybrid 1.2 'replaces' the 1.0... having both... I prefer the 1.2 (5'10" and 230). Haven't tried the 1.1 MTN.

No reduction in weight limit needed for trimming it down... and a properly sewn channel is at worst as strong as the material itself.

Go for it.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.6HyperD 11'
    Tarp
    MYOG Silpoly 12x12
    Suspension
    Venom straps & MSH
    Well sh*t... I guess that answers those questions! Thanks man. I'll probably just order some of the 1.2; you can never have too many hammocks.

• + New Posts