Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

More quilts or more clothes?

Id like some feedback on how all of you handle colder weather sleeping in your hammock. When your usual winter system suddenly doesnt keep you warm because of a drop in temps, what are you inclinded to do? Double up on your quilts? Or add more clothing to sleep in? Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I use the same cloths all winter to sleep in so I just go with a warmer quilt to match cooler temps but my zero quilt is as low as I can go which means around 10 degrees is as low as I'll attempt. The good thing is we rarely see temps this low plus I just do not enjoy temps any lower as I do not have the cloths to sit out in these temps and be comfortable.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Inexpensive down jacket, or even two jackets.

One jacket a size larger, worn over the other. And down pants. Solves sooooo many problems. Packs very light, very low pack volume. Yes, there is a little compression under your body, but, it just builds heat all over, with no gaps, drafts, or problems associated with getting up in the middle of the night. There are always inexpensive down jackets available at a certain retailer this time of year. Down booties are worth every penny.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    +1 for down parka AND down pants, specifically down pants with full side zips so that you don't have to remove footwear to put them on and take them off. I'm carrying these items anyway, so it makes total sense to use them to augment the sleeping system.

I like Montbell TEC down pants. If you are not backpacking, or any other time weight and volume are not critical, Mountain Hardware Compressor is a great choice.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    +2 for side zips. Also great for venting.

Images
    Ah yes, layering! And so many different ways to get 'er done! I have used many different approaches with mostly success, but I have not slept naked( AKA anti-layering? ). Some folks appear to have success with that, so you never know what will work for you.

Layering clothes works great for me, but obviously layering is going to be trickier under neath, since if it is layered clothing the loft will be compressed. Although, layers of poorly compressible clothing like fleece will certainly help, better than nothing. I used to get some boost of back side warmth just by getting inside a synthetic bag, it was always a quickly noticeably improvement. Certainly not enough by itself, but a help when things were not quite sufficient.

In my old gone and missed Speer Pea Pod, layering was a wonderful help. Top or bottom it was so easy to do, but mostly I used it on top, to help make up for any top gap caused by the hammock's tendency to lift the pod's top layer. I would wear puffy pants weighing 8 oz, but just lay my vest and/or jacket on top of me with the front zippered opening facing backwards, and put my arms through the sleeves. That would puff up huge and mostly fill any top gaps making it plenty warm enough at it's rating.

Of course, when I was really concerned about taking it well below it's rating, it was easy peasy to add even the lightest summer-early fall TQ. Just get under the TQ, where, assuming drafts are controlled, I might be good to say 40F ( or more with layered clothing! ). Then just close the Pea Pod over that TQ, adding 2.5" more top loft to the fall rated 1.5-2" loft of the TQ, while also ending all draft potential. That pod was now cinched down closed over each end, and completely closed over the top(except for however much breathing vent I want). And if need be, stuff a down jacket down under your back inside the pod. No wonder Shug has been so toasty in his DIY pods( a sleeping bag closed around his hammock and other quilt layers) even at minus 40. Layering, and as draft free as a zipped up bag!

I set my modest 6F personal best (but toasty warm, certainly could have gone below zero! ) using layers of gear rated no where near that temp- and no tarp - plus vapor barrier clothing. The TQ weighed 20 oz for a long, wide, so maybe good to 30-40F? 30F is my guess. Instead of a base layer of long johns, I had on VB clothing with a fuzzy liner, weighing about the same as my LJs. Over that a fleece jacket- and maybe one very thin layer between VB shirt and fleece jacket. Over all of that and the RL, an HH over cover that weighs several oz. Most of the night- 6F for the low, below 10 most of the night - I was close to having to vent, closer to over heating than cool. My feet- layered VB socks/wool socks/synthetic booties, were definitely over heating and sweating all night. How often do you hear of feet being too hot at 6f? Oh, and I always make sure my head is plenty warm, with a separate JRB down hood with a couple of inches of loft. Under neath me was the standard HH Super Shelter: space blanket/OCF pad/under cover plus- layered- about 3.5 oz of extra OCF foam from the HH kidney/torso pads. More than warm enough at 6F. All done with layers of various items no where near warm enough at 6F.

Of course, I could have also hung a 40F UQ under the HHSS, without some of the other layers that I wore, and might have done just as well. It all amounts to layering. (except the VBs, that is a bit different theory, not really adding any thickness, but still it is an added next to skin layer). But, the clothing is stuff I would always have with me already.
    It works for me!

So layer up, using whatever you already have, and go for it(but test safely)!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-25-2018 at 12:08.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    More quilts
    More clothes can keep you warmer UNLESS
    Extra layers restrict your circulation to hands feet or any limbs.
    Too many clothes can feel good before you fall asleep, if you overheat and have enough sweat to dampen your innermost layer of clothes, then you might take a chill. And since sweat has some salt, it can take a while for that inner layer to dry.
    With extra quilts it might be possible to push off quilts even in your sleep, if not when you wake during night. Also if you do overheat with extra quilts, sweat moisture can more quickly evaporate from your clothing—and possibly keep you dry enough to get through night without taking a chill.
    Trust your gut, trust your judgement and don’t listen to hairbrained schemes—especially Phantom’s
    Also I like idea of laying opened coat over torso and under top quilt—easy to push off when it’s working too well.
    And I know nothing about vapor barriers—so any of my guesses will not apply to vapor barrier systems
    Good Luck

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Well, in my relatively short cold weather hammock camping experience (I prefer the cold weather regardless), wearing more clothes is a quick solution. I always carry along fleece pants/zip jacket for layering anyhow, so easy boost to the temperature range. I went with zero quilts because I like camping/sleeping around that temperature, so my starting point may be different than yours. I also always carry along a fleece lap/throw blanket that I usually do wear wrapped around me "Match Coat" style, because I like the feel of fleece against any bare skin vs the synthetics, I think it adds 10*. An under quilt protector seems to add 5-10* and really helps on windy nights.

My lowest temp last winter was neg 8* F and a number of nights around neg 5* F. All I wore in the hammock was my base layer, medium wool socks, fleece watch cap and fleece fingerless gloves. I was toasty warm and comfortable even with a strong wind. I expect I could go around neg 20* F easily, especially if I wore another layer of fleece (pants/jacket).

Managing the condensation at those temperatures also helps in keeping the warmth in and the cold out. Going to bed warm is important as well. I'm sure if I added a hot water bottle in a wool sock I'd add another 5-10* to the low end.

I find after a night or two in low temperatures my body is adjusting enough that it seems 5-10* warmer than it really is. So, acclimation is another positive point if you are multi-day camping. I like doing 3 night trips so I don't feel rushed setting up, then taking it down after just a night or two. Three nights means you can adjust and dial in your complete setup, hopefully without too much weather change. What works for you may not be what others find helpful. So adjust and change things if you aren't completely comfortable in your setup. There are many different threads talking about all these different aspects of cold weather hanging and options for variations on keeping warm / comfortable.

I'm not a light weight camper, prefer my toboggan with gear and supplies to have options while winter camping. HYOH....

Gregori

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Clothing gets compressed underneath you so I don't see that as a viable way to keep warm. Stacking quilts works great.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    This always seems to come up about this time of year, and as luck would have it I've been working on a possible solution, at least from a cheap DIY perspective. I just posted my write up on my first ever DIY creation, the CDT Freya.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ferrerid=64724

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast