Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I always bring a single wall stainless steel water bottle. It can be used as a Hot water bottle for unexpected temps - I like to use a hot water bottle whenever it will be close to my equipment's temp rating or sometimes just to pre-head my hammock.
    Plus it takes less time to heat up water for coffee in the morning.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke
    Gear common to both nights:
    Hammock: HH Explorer UL, stock tarp, Supershelter + overcover
    Bag: 0F REI Zenith mummy bag, synthetic insulation
    Clothing, torso: smartwool SS T-shirt, LS Powerdry shirt, Marmot Precip jacket for VB
    Clothing, legs: Powerdry longjohns, Marmot Precip pants as VB, polypro ski pants, 200 wt Polarfleece pants
    Feet: silk liner socks, bread bag for VB, heavy wool socks, 400g Thinsulate boot liners. 1L insulated Nalgene filled w/ boiling water pressed against bottom of feet.
    Head: Psolarx fleece balaclava without the heat exchanger

Night one, -5F: in my Undercover, in addition to standard space blanket, and my typical cold-weather configuration of Exped Multimat on the bottom, and a down jacket under my back in between the OCF and Multimat.
    Clothing - Torso: 200 wt Polarfleece pullover as outer layer

Night two, -27F: added my down +30F REI Sahara down bag between Multimat and OCF in the UC.
    Bag: added fleece bag liner, and Primaloft parka thrown over legs
    Clothing - Torso: 300 wt Polarfleece as outer layer
    Clothing - Neck: fleece neck gaiter to pull up over eyes....................................
    I was plenty warm both nights. No sensation of cold except for the bridge of my exposed nose.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/6740-Supershelter-27F

I'd like to go back and emphasize what I put in bold. In my experience a pad- in this case the thin, .1" thick Exped Multimat, does not always work to add much warmth in the under cover of the HHSS. It was not recommended by HH, because it might interfere with the under cover fitand it's function of holding the under pad snugly against your back via the elastics in the undercover. But, used in combination with the down jacket, it might be perfect. If the weight of the multimat ( 11 oz ) causes the under cover to sag a bit, that will also keep the undercover's elastics from compressing the loft of the down jacket(or quilt or bag). So what I would like to emphasize is: By layering a down jacket underneath the HHSS system which most people can't take much below the 30s, plus whatever small amount extra he got from tht pad under the jacket, Kurt was "plenty warm" at minus 5F. (and by adding a summer bag, at minus 27F)

So can these things be accomplished by layering clothing only, even on the bottom? Without question. In my experience, a down vest and fleece jacket(but no pad) added in this fashion(to the HHSS) kept me plenty warm at 14F with low single digit wind chills(no tarp). But I could have gone lower. In Kurt's case, a down jacket plus the R1.2 Multimat kept him in great shape at minus 5F. Whether you layer th clothing you have with you inside your quilts, or layer extra quilts, it can easily be done. The trick is getting everything to work at optimum, by avoiding too much compression and the opposite: gaps, and getting everything to stay in place. But all of this is accomplished without those concerns- and with less weight and bulk- by just having a system that is already warm enough to start with. It just cost a lot more to have quilts just right for all conditions you are likely to ever encounter, including the warmer and far more common conditions without roasting you.

Layering either clothing or quilts is far more versatile. And when done with clothing that you already have with you costs no extra weight, bulk or dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    It's also not uncommon for outdoorsfolks to fall into a 'two sleeps' pattern. Look it up... we used to sleep in shifts...Ideally you can stare at the stars, contemplate your place in the universe, and enjoy the experience by simply being present. I find this 'two sleeps' type of evening to be my most restful and enjoyable... and one that eludes me at home but has become a frequent and welcome occurrence when camping out of doors. One more frequently encountered since switching to hammocks full time.... waking up isn't always a problem.
    At worst, it means you're alive. At best it means you're truly living.
    Well I'll be smacked upside the head! Let me add to TxAggie's appreciation for a well written post, sir. You have indeed explained and illuminated a lot of what happens to me when sleeping out in the hammock. That period of wakefulness in the middle of the night is something I often experience and have also learned to look forward to. On clear nights that's when I'll lie there and look for shooting stars. The best way to fall back asleep for me is to take that time and TRY to stay awake quietly watching stars. Often the next thing I know, I'm opening my eyes to the morning sky.

And now I'm back to square one, as this thread has both good points about more clothing and good ideas about more quilts, so I don't know which I'll try next time.

As an aside, I think this will be post number 1,000 for me on Hammock Forums. I could probably wish my thousandth post were more profound, but I'll settle for it being appreciative.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post

As an aside, I think this will be post number 1,000 for me on Hammock Forums. I could probably wish my thousandth post were more profound, but I'll settle for it being appreciative.
    I think that's a fitting way to celebrate Hammock Forums... appreciation for it has its own profundity.
    Quite likely my 1000th post at whiteblaze was spent arguing with someone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I think that's a fitting way to celebrate Hammock Forums... appreciation for it has its own profundity.
    Quite likely my 1000th post at whiteblaze was spent arguing with someone.
    Meanwhile, the Lord of Lollygag just passed the 20K mark! Which is probably the same number of hours he has spent sleeping in a hammock Pretty sure that’s a new record!

As for the highest average post length, that’s got to be you, Just Bill! I always enjoy reading your extended thoughts on insulation and camp lore!

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Id like some feedback on how all of you handle colder weather sleeping in your hammock. When your usual winter system suddenly doesnt keep you warm because of a drop in temps, what are you inclinded to do? Double up on your quilts? Or add more clothing to sleep in? Thanks
    Just went to my first winter hang and saw 10°F I had a 20° incubator full length and a 3 season jar bridge on the bottom. On top I had an old sleeping bag, fleece top quilt from summer Times and a smaller fleece to cover cold spots if I had any. I slept in polypropylene long underwear. That is like 22+ years old. I was comfortable and warm. Oh yeah I had a 40gram thinsulate balaclava on my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Id like some feedback on how all of you handle colder weather sleeping in your hammock. When your usual winter system suddenly doesnt keep you warm because of a drop in temps, what are you inclinded to do? Double up on your quilts? Or add more clothing to sleep in? Thanks
    If the temps are below my TOP quilt's rating, I simply add clothing layer and or vapor barrier clothing, and this has always gotten me comfortably below the quilts rating. Often, this is clothing I would have with me anyway on a cold weather trip.

Since our backs compress the insulation under us, adding layers(for back warmth) is trickier. Vapor barriers work the same on top or bottom(but make sure you understand VB theory before trying that, done wrong = wet and cold!) Some insulation- like fleece- is much less compressible than others, so multiple layers of fleece should help some both on top or below. If I am in my HH Super Shelter or a Speer Pea Pod, I simply add layers- say a fleece jacket- underneath the hammock, works great. Especially if my hammock is a double layer, and for sure if it is a bridge hammock double layer(pad pocket), I just add a pad if I am cold. This can easily add 20 to 40*F.

EDIT: sorry, I did not realize it is an old thread, I see I had already posted on this subject.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-31-2019 at 10:10.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on the type of balaclava for sleeping in. Do you prefer the typical serius fleece, merino wool, an apex climashield such as the one from EE, or a down fill balaclava? I love the idea of downs weight and compressibility but does it work well if sleeping in it when you head compresses the down?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wvumountaineer52 View Post
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on the type of balaclava for sleeping in. Do you prefer the typical serius fleece, merino wool, an apex climashield such as the one from EE, or a down fill balaclava? I love the idea of downs weight and compressibility but does it work well if sleeping in it when you head compresses the down?
    I hate the feel of balaclavas in general. I use a hat/merino wool Buff combo so I can adjust it for all kinds of situations quickly. Down would be fine; you may want something else under your head anyway. I forgot my pillow last weekend! It was down to -16°F and I was fine with nothing underneath. Half way thru the night I put a thick pair of long johns underheath for some comfort but warmth was never an issue with the underquilt covering me.

Regarding the quilt/more clothing, I always take an appropriate quilt and wear the same thing...basically from 30° down to negative double digits. A lightweight REI 1/4-zip shirt and light/midweight longjohns. My 0° quilt set was absolutely perfect even down to -16F, so I don't think I'll ever need to augment that (not planning to ever go lower)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wvumountaineer52 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I hate the feel of balaclavas in general. I use a hat/merino wool Buff combo so I can adjust it for all kinds of situations quickly. Down would be fine; you may want something else under your head anyway. I forgot my pillow last weekend! It was down to -16°F and I was fine with nothing underneath. Half way thru the night I put a thick pair of long johns underheath for some comfort but warmth was never an issue with the underquilt covering me.

Regarding the quilt/more clothing, I always take an appropriate quilt and wear the same thing...basically from 30° down to negative double digits. A lightweight REI 1/4-zip shirt and light/midweight longjohns. My 0° quilt set was absolutely perfect even down to -16F, so I don't think I'll ever need to augment that (not planning to ever go lower)
    Some UQs are designed so that for optimal fit, they do not cover above the neck/shoulder intersection. They are intended to be used with a pillow. So you will probably need something that doesn't compress much for that. Although, I have been surprised at how even my down hood does pretty well. But sense I often have a pillow also, that already takes care of that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast