Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Simplified hammock suspension..

So as not to hijack the thread No hardware, hybrid, micro-adjustable, UL suspension started by cmoulder, I am starting a new thread simply to answer the question about how I have simplified my setup...

Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Do you have any pictures? I’m not familiar with Carolina Red’s setup so I’m kind of lost with regards to your knots and buttons. I’ve seen one button setup, I think it’s by Hummingbird, and while it looks simple, the steadfastness keeps me from exploring it more.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't take credit for anything more than consolidating ideas from others into something that works for me. Modular diamond knots and locked whipping sliders from Griz; Grappler Hitch and secondary handles from Phantom Grappler; Evo Loops and unique use of the Beckett Hitch from MyersTech...

I am using twelve foot Dutch 2.2 Kevlar tree straps. An Evo Loop is tied through the sewn loop in the tree strap. Initially I use the Grapplers Hitch at the tree end, but after playing with Evo Loops I find I can attach them one handed so have mated them to all of my straps.

Traveling down the strap towards the hammock, you'll encounter what is essentially another slightly smaller Evo Loop that is girth hitched to the strap. Using a girth hitch rather than a prussik allows the button knotted loop to slide easily. It needs only enough friction to hold an unweighted hammock while setting up. There is a small secondary loop captured in the girth hitch, which acts as a handle to slide the button up and down the strap and is also useful in releasing the setup when breaking down.

I use diamond knots and buttons throughout my kit and all of my previous suspensions made use of diamond knots where the legs exit the top of knot. I would typically do a locked brummel and the bury one leg in the other, to makes things clean but also to prevent the legs from pulling back inside the diamond. The button knot above has the legs of the cordage exiting the bottom of the knot and buried in each of the legs of the loop. When you hang on it, you're hanging on four strands of Amsteel rather than two as when using a diamond knot.

The continuous loops on all of my hammocks have a small locked whipping knot as a slider.

The CL is dropped over the button knot. and the slider is cinched up to the bottom of the button. I have tried the 'Balls between the Legs' method Myerstech uses and while it works, the slider method seems easier and more brainless. to set up.

With the hammock strap attached to the tree, and the hammock attached to the strap, the secondary handle can be used to slide the button knots' girth hitch up and down the strap for fine tuning the height. The girth hitch is strong enough to hold an unloaded hammock, even in a stiff breeze.

Once the hammock is positioned properly, a simple beckett hitch is tied around the body of the button knot, just below the girth hitch. Obviously, the one below hasn't been weighted yet. It doesn't settle the way a Marlin Spike Hitch will so where you slide the button knot on the strap is where it stays once you tie the beckett. After it's been weighted, break down (and in the rare instance an adjustment is needed) is super simple... Loop your thumb on one hand through the secondary handle and pull the tail of the strap with the other.. this will simultaneously release the beckett and loosen the girth hitch so the button will slide for re-positioning.

I just used this system in a heavy rain storm and it came apart easily.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 12-24-2018 at 14:26.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    That’s pretty slick, I would love to see more pics of it hanging. I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Looks very nice, thanks for sharing. Intrigued by this and other hardware-free options (as alluring as Dutch bling is).

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I’ll have to brush up on my knots a bit.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ospreydog View Post
    That’s pretty slick, I would love to see more pics of it hanging. I like it.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'll be out over the next few days.. I'll add some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    Looks very nice, thanks for sharing. Intrigued by this and other hardware-free options (as alluring as Dutch bling is).
    I never went the bling route on hammock suspensions.. I had a pair of whoopies with my first hammock.. Hammock is long gone, but the whoopies are still in my gear closet. All my suspension iterations have been hardware free.

Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I’ll have to brush up on my knots a bit.

There are only five, and it can be done with two...

Larks head / Girth Hitch
    Becket Hitch
    Diamond knot
    Button knot
    Locked whipping slider

The button knot can be replaced with a well tied diamond knot. The locked slider can be eliminated if you do the 'Balls Through the Legs' move that Meyerstech does. The Evo loop at the tree can be eliminated by simply threading the strap through the sewn eye. Truth told.. that's how I started this setup. Thread the strap around the tree and becket hitch to the continuous loop. Then I added back items that improve convenience and setup time.

When I go SUL, I take a sub-10 oz hammock and a pair of 15' straps, a small asym tarp and some Ti shepherd hooks. Done.
    Bob's brother-in-law

You can buy the Evo Loops - basically the whole set-up from Meyers Tech for not a lot of money. Then you only need to iknow the Becket Hitch and the tie the Whipping Slider. As OP mentioned there is another way to do it without the Whipping Slider. Jeff Meyers has videos on in it.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post
    You can buy the Evo Loops - basically the whole set-up from Meyers Tech for not a lot of money. Then you only need to iknow the Becket Hitch and the tie the Whipping Slider. As OP mentioned there is another way to do it without the Whipping Slider. Jeff Meyers has videos on in it.
    IMG_2798.JPG
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    MikekiM, you got it going on. Thanks for pictures.
    Can you set this rig in the rain—tarp up first or at same time as hammock—keeping hammock dry?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post
    Yes.. you can buy this setup from Jeff on his FB site. I purchased it when he first started to offer it. In the end... I removed the Evo Loops he made as they are huge.. He uses 1/4" Amsteel and though they are easy to install one-handed, They were multiples of the size of the Evo's in 7/64. Also, the Dyneema straps he uses have a very strong disposition to curling up into a cord rather than a strap. There is a place for this, but for the most part it annoys the living out of me.. so I don't use these straps often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    MikekiM, you got it going on. Thanks for pictures.
    Can you set this rig in the rain—tarp up first or at same time as hammock—keeping hammock dry?
    Coming from you, this is a serious compliment.. thanks.

As you see it above, it's really just for the hammock suspension. So, sure.. set up your tarp and then the above suspension for the hammock. On three of my tarps I use split ridge lines attached to a diamond knot on the tarps ridge tie out via mini ucrs, and a Dutch Hook at the tree. I am experimenting with Dynaglide Evo Loops instead of the Dutch Hook, in part because they are easier to attach one-handed and also they don't catch on things like the hooks do.

Here's where the above setup gets fun.. You can use the same layout above in a single line suspension setup like the setups you have perfected, with only one change. Create on additional button knot in a continuous loop (make a grapplers hitch without threading it through the straps sewn eye). It needs to be a rather small loop and I use Dynaglide. I can measure it if there is interest.

This continuous loop with button knot is prussik'd to the strap between the tree and where the hammock will be, and is going to be your connection to the tarp.

To this button knot, there is a twelve to fifteen inch Zing It leader. You could make the leader entirely out of Dynaglide and prussik directly to the strap, but I wanted to be able to remove the leader and leave the button knot on the strap. A Dutch Hook Worm is threaded onto the end of the Zing It leader.

Remember, all of my tarps have diamond/button knots at the ridge tie outs. With the strap attached to the tree, the Hook Worm is clipped under the button knot on the tarps ridge. The dynaglide prussik allows the tarp to positioned higher or lower on the strap relative to the hammock (IE. Storm mode) and the Hook Worm is used to adjust and tension the tarp.

Then the hammock is added below the tarp connection. In the picture below, a Dutch Double Whoopie Hook was used like a Speed Hook, but I have since switched to using just a Becket Hitch as above. I tried replacing the Hook Worm with a mini ucr, in an attempt to 100% hardware free, but the body of the ucr prevents you from getting the tarp really low to the hammock if needed.

So to your question, yes... You can set this rig in the rain, tarp first and then hang the hammock under it. And, adjust the height of the tarp independent of the hammock position. but you can't fully tension it without the hammock in place. I use this when going fast and UL.. An Asym tarp, single line suspension and 1.2 Robic Half Wit hammock. I should weigh that setup.

Oddly, the tarp doesn't droop or over tension when the hammock is weighted. I am thinking you've done something like already...

There are a few downsides to this setup. You can't use a pole mod on it as the tarp just flattens out. How close you can position the tarp to the hammock for storm mode is governed by the ridge length of the tarp. A tarp with multiple ridge tie out points helps (Dutch's Asym, or KitsapCowboys Glassgow KISS Asym are good options). And, you can't get the tarp drum tight across the ridge without the hammock attached. Once it's attached, all is fine.

Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I love Jeff Myers' approach to hammock/tarp suspensions. The Evo loops are awesome! I've since sold all of my Dutch bling, and moved to a hardware-free suspension. Don't get me wrong, I still love Dutch's gear (in fact, just placed an order today). But the utility and price of Jeff's Evo loops, tarp toggles, straps, etc... are unmatched in today's market.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast