Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly, Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I don't want to ask too silly of a question in relation to this post but if I were to use say a titanium toggle like i use on my whoopie sling suspension and tie a marlin spike hitch on the opposite side of the door is that enough structural integrity to set up my Tensa4? Sorry, but im not builder or carpenter...
    "To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.” -- Aldo Leopold

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Yes. Tug on it about half your body weight to test.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Get two (or more, depending how much counter weight you'll need to equate to 1/2 your body weight) collapsible water containers and carry those with on your travels. At your destination, fill with water and anchor the foot end to them as a group. When it's time to move on, dump the water and collapse the water containers and bring them with to the next destination. Simple, low impact and works great and no drilling and works with any floor finish. HINT: water weights 8.3 lbs per gallon to give you an idea how many gallons you'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Agree more better videos good.On the roadmap. Excuses follow: we’re making changes to the suspension system, so don’t want to sink too many resources into showing what may be ephemeral details. The changes are more driven by production efficiency/cost POV than function, namely a switch from UCRs to webbing. There are pros and cons of both, so don’t worry about not having the latest greatest. We may continue to offer UCR at a small premium for those who strongly prefer it, and to retrofit webbing if preference runs the other way. Other reason is video is hard without more talent and tools than we possess, but we’ll get there.

We’ve thought about a contest among users to submit videos of setup/breakdown. The winner is the one who shows the fastest time WITHOUT LOOKING HURRIED. So yeah, smooth, and that’s subjective. But the setup procedure will change significantly with the shift to webbing, so.
    Is there any update for videos? It doesn't look like the website has been updated in a while and YouTube channel states to visit the website. I am still struggling indoors to find suitable places to hold (door isn't possible as it is used during the night and no fixed furniture, wood floors that cannot be used and I don't trust the old windows)

b_ruce,

Maybe you could fill two 5 gallon Aquatainers with water and tie both together, as a foot anchor. Possibly a larger cooler filled with Ice/Pop or favorite adult beverage would work.

Tebsa has been fantastic at answering my emails, if you havent tried that route.

Good luck.

Bob

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by b_ruce View Post
    Is there any update for videos? It doesn't look like the website has been updated in a while and YouTube channel states to visit the website. I am still struggling indoors to find suitable places to hold (door isn't possible as it is used during the night and no fixed furniture, wood floors that cannot be used and I don't trust the old windows)
    Personally I just painted 4 cinder blocks then tied the head and foot down to them.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Whatever I'm in :)
    Tarp
    Good ol mil poncho
    Suspension
    20'L 1.5''w straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I’m hanging right now in the stand anchored to a small screwhook driven easily with fingers through carpet into the floorboard. Leaves no mark, or rather the carpet hides it completely.
    Hey Latherdome, i know its been 4 years since you've hung with this method, but could you provide more information on the approximate size of screwhook you used, and the angle you had of the screw relative to the hang? And when you say into the floorboard, you are actually screwing in to something solid, not just getting the threads intertwined with the carpet right?

I'm planning on using my tensa4 (love it) on a trip in a hotel room and i wanted to experiment with anchor points besides door frames and such. If you could provide a picture (or drawing) that would be extremely helpful.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by TieDownKing View Post
    Hey Latherdome, i know its been 4 years since you've hung with this method, but could you provide more information on the approximate size of screwhook you used, and the angle you had of the screw relative to the hang? And when you say into the floorboard, you are actually screwing in to something solid, not just getting the threads intertwined with the carpet right?

I'm planning on using my tensa4 (love it) on a trip in a hotel room and i wanted to experiment with anchor points besides door frames and such. If you could provide a picture (or drawing) that would be extremely helpful.
    Every room will present its own unique challenges and opportunities that you must engage creatively, not following what has worked for me or even you in the past. What happens if your eyehook won’t make it through the carpet padding, underlayment into what may well be a concrete subfloor? Having a drawing won’t help at all.

If you’re not comfortable with the ambiguity of how you might anchor in an arbitrary hotel room, I suggest you acquire as many collapsible water jugs as equal about 1/3-1/2 your body weight when full, and anchor to those right below the foot apex. Whenever unsure of foot anchor integrity, minimize the tilt of the stand and anchor both ends. They can be lighter duty if the stand is near its balance point (with you in it) where the load on the anchors approaches zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Whatever I'm in :)
    Tarp
    Good ol mil poncho
    Suspension
    20'L 1.5''w straps
    Thanks for the advice. I realize that things will need to be different in each room. I really was just seeking clarification on how you did things to get a better understanding of that particular technique.

See, besides carrying the tensa4 i was thinking about carrying loading straps and tying a knot (or having a toggle of some sort) and putting that in between the door hinge and then hanging from another point. I havent been anywhere with two doors facing each other like in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfABwzTI14
    So that got me thinking about carrying just a half of the tensa. OKay but thats still a lot of real estate in my roller board,

Then I thought about a trekking treez setup where i'd hang one end in a door frame (which ive had several of, with bathrooms or closet doors) and then doing the other end with the treez pole. Anchors are more important then, and I havent gotten my hands on one to see if its even something that makes sense. I understand theres a need for good anchors. So i wanted to get a better understanding of your method with respect to that to try and then experiment myself. But i can carry a lot of cordage, so even wrapping a big loop around the bed might be satisfactory for an anchor. Its a very interesting challenge. Ideally if there were some kind of device that would screw into the carpet and hook into it. Like a big corkscrew. Then that might be sufficient
    Last edited by TieDownKing; 01-26-2023 at 10:09.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by TieDownKing View Post
    See, besides carrying the tensa4 i was thinking about carrying loading straps and tying a knot (or having a toggle of some sort) and putting that in between the door hinge and then hanging from another point. I havent been anywhere with two doors facing each other like in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfABwzTI14
    So that got me thinking about carrying just a half of the tensa. OKay but thats still a lot of real estate in my roller board,

Then I thought about a trekking treez setup where i'd hang one end in a door frame (which ive had several of, with bathrooms or closet doors) and then doing the other end with the treez pole. Anchors are more important then, and I havent gotten my hands on one to see if its even something that makes sense. I understand theres a need for good anchors. So i wanted to get a better understanding of your method with respect to that to try and then experiment myself. But i can carry a lot of cordage, so even wrapping a big loop around the bed might be satisfactory for an anchor. Its a very interesting challenge. Ideally if there were some kind of device that would screw into the carpet and hook into it. Like a big corkscrew. Then that might be sufficient
    Twice I've been in rooms where entry and bathroom doors were placed such that I could hang normally between them. Half a Tensa4 isn't likely to work indoors well because the feet need either to be dug in (nope) or constrained from a specific small range of places to prevent them sliding out. Setting up Tensa4 atop a bed has worked well for me at least half a dozen times. Anchor to the bed itself (that you are weighting down in the stand). The bed can't be too close to the wall(s) though.

I did manage to hang once in a hotel room with Trekking Treez, using the entry door hinge pin for the foot end, and the pole for the head. To anchor the pole, I wedged the screw anchors between the bolted-to-floor bed base and the box spring at opposite corners. I was just lucky this worked; it's the last of our stands I'd ever recommend indoors. If it hadn't worked, I'd have taken a hike to sleep outside in spite of the hailstorm. I've managed that several times "full hobo," setting up after dark and breaking down before dawn, and have never yet been bothered though in "unauthorized" places.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 01-26-2023 at 16:58.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast