Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Total Noob Needs Help!

I know there are probably tons of threads just like this one on here but...

I have never gone hammock camping in cold weather and I am wondering if I can use a full length, 40 degree under quilt, a pad, and a 10 degree sleeping bag and stay warm down into the teens or less.
    I guess what I am really asking is can I use multiple insulation sources to stay warm or do I have to buy a really warm (and expensive) under quilt.
    Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    We can all suggest that this will or will not work but the only way to know is to test this where you can bail out if it doesn't work ie your back yard. You probably wouldn't die if it didn't work but you may never want to go hang in a hammock again. If you are car camping then you can take more insulation and make it work but there's no substitution for a quality under quilt that is rated 10-15 degrees lower than your expected lows.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammocknoob67 View Post
    I know there are probably tons of threads just like this one on here but...

I have never gone hammock camping in cold weather and I am wondering if I can use a full length, 40 degree under quilt, a pad, and a 10 degree sleeping bag and stay warm down into the teens or less.
    I guess what I am really asking is can I use multiple insulation sources to stay warm or do I have to buy a really warm (and expensive) under quilt.
    Thanks for the help!
    Combining, stacking, or using several types of insulation is fine - do your thing - be free to experiment. Word of advice though, down to freezing I think you'll be just fine. Anything colder and I think you are going to need more than a closed cell pad and a 40* UQ. I have used a 5'10" strip of Reflectix sandwiched between a wool blanket (as a pad) with a sleeping bag rated to 0* down to the mid 20's but it was pretty close.

Anyhow experiment and see what works for you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Thanks for the advice!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Best to test for sure but you'll be OK...won't die!
    But make sure all your gear is good for teens since you will be hanging out all day and try not to go to sleep cold.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eCgGKr7TF7haoD
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    When I started I used a variety of things to keep warm. Hammock Forums was in its early stages, all sorts of experimenting going on, along with debates about the merit of everything. Most of us were doing DIY or making major alterations on gear we already owned.

I think I tried almost everything to keep a comfortable temp. I chased pads around, then double layer hammocks arrived (much better for me). Cold/damp needs different than cold/very dry.

Mix and match what you have and learn how to gain the most benefits.

VERY IMPORTANT test at home. Become very comfortable with your gear before you venture where there is not a quick easy exit
    People do die from equipment failure or not knowing the capeability of their gear.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Other things that can help you stay warm are a winter cover or an UQ protector and and a hot water bottle (Nalgene in a sock for example) in the hammock with you at bedtime. I have found eating something right before going to sleep also helps and when you have to pee, suck it up and go pee. Don't waste time trying to ignore it. All you are doing is increasing the amount of fluid in your bladder that you must then keep warm. As mentioned test your set up.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I can't imagine that a 40* UQ and a pad will be sufficient for the teens. You're also probably going to have condensation to deal with when using a pad, and it's likely to be a beast to get the pad and UQ to work together.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-09-2018 at 00:12.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Other things that can help you stay warm are a winter cover or an UQ protector and and a hot water bottle (Nalgene in a sock for example) in the hammock with you at bedtime. I have found eating something right before going to sleep also helps and when you have to pee, suck it up and go pee. Don't waste time trying to ignore it. All you are doing is increasing the amount of fluid in your bladder that you must then keep warm. As mentioned test your set up.
    All very good advice too which I'll add things I've done in the past:

Chemical hand warmers like Hot Hands. Use several.

A full head and face covering. I use an Army surplus balaclava made mostly of wool.

Poncho liner wrapped loosely around the hammock like a pod system.

All of these add some weight but everything adds weight to winter scenarios.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Never wear damp and or tight socks overnight in hammock
    Socks if worn should be dry and loose,especially at tops of socks
    Most of your insulation should be top and bottom quilts. If you put on too much clothing and get too warm and break a sweat—then your clothes will be damp and keep you nice and cold rest of night.
    If too warm while asleep, you might push extra quilts away, and even if not pushed away in your sleep, they won’t get soaking wet with sweat.
    Extra clothes rather than being worn, can rest on your torso under the top quilt or inside sleeping bag, then if too hot, you can push them away.
    During extreme cold, more clothing layers can be worn without breaking a sweat. Use your best judgement.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast