SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

UQ for Shorter Hammock

In another thread, some people were theorizing that having a shorter hammock could affect the fit of an underquilt since the suspensions are generally designed for the longer hammocks.

Is this something easily adjusted for or when I order the underquilt for my daughter's 8ft hammock do I need to have a conversation with the vendor about making the necessary adjustments to the suspension? Obviously if they have to change the design of the suspension that will make it difficult to move to a new hammock when she gets bigger and moves up.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Maybe those quilt triangle things?

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nsion-Adapters

Images
    It seems to me that- as long as the UQ length(and shorter UQs can be ordered) is a couple of feet shorter than the hammock it is on, I should be able to pull the suspension tight enough to lift the UQ solidly into the hammock, enough to lift the unoccupied hammock. I might have a bunch of excess suspension left over, but seems like I could do it. I guess if I hated the excess suspension, I could just cut it off. Or, maybe the vendor could give me a shorter suspension.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just tie a knot or two in the suspension to shorten it - easily corrected if you go to a longer hammock.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 12-20-2018 at 23:10.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Easy enough to adjust the length of the primary suspension.. it's just shock cord threaded through a channel.

Throw a knot in the shock cord, or a HD cord lock, to take up the slack... if there is any.

Cut the excess off if it bothers you. Thread new shock cord in if it every becomes an issue.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

UQ for Shorter Hammock

As others have stated above, you simply need to shorten the suspension of the UQ. Make sure that the UQ lifts the hammock while the hammock is not occupied. If the UQ hangs loosely below the hammock, you will need to shorten the suspension some more.

Suspensions on all underquilts that I've ever seen (mostly the folks I've hiked with) are adjustable. I know mine are. Without knowing which quilts you're looking at, let me toss out a recommendation for the AHE Jarbidge. It's a good value for the money. I've got the three season version, which will get you to freezing or possibly a bit below depending on clothing and top insulation. It's 3/4 length, which may well be full length for a child. At 5'9" I find in a gathered end hammock it gives me coverage from about neck to ankles. It also fits my bridge hammock quite well.

Recently I experimented with it on a shorter hammock, one my wife and I made a couple of years ago. On that 9.5 foot hammock, I did indeed have to shorten up the suspension to get the fit right, which took all of about 30 seconds since you just pull one end through the locking mechanism to shorten (or lengthen) the suspension. I suspect that fitting a 3/4 length underquilt to an 8 foot hammock would be quite simple and easy. Besides AHE, several vendors make less than full length underquilts.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Second on the Jarbridge. It fits both my ENO DN and the wife's 11 foot AHE with a simple adjustment. No knot to untie. They go on sale for under $100.00 regularly.

• + New Posts