Hammock
    CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Ive been reading sldeshowraheem’s posts and thinking about the angle guide lines regarding the peg giving way.
    Does a longer line reduce the risk of pull outs? I think it prob would.
    How long do the supplied amsteel guides go too?

Images
    I have used some home made Boom stakes, and they have worked really well. They consist of some about 2 ft or longer perforated metal plates, and I can push my long ( 9"? 12?) stakes thru the perforations, and run a biner thru other perforations. I can put the biner anywhere from a few inches to 2+ ft from the stake. So what I wonder about is: which would lead to the most holding strength? Closer to the stake or further away from it? If it matters, seems like it might.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well my huge ground anchor pulled out on me this weekend. Lasted a week or two and a few hangs before it just gave and pulled out.

At this point I feel like I've done everything short of losing 20 pounds. Going to post my Solo for sale I think. My ground conditions just arent conducive to using it successfully.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    sideshowraheem, don’t feel bad. I had to do the same thing with my “handy hang” or whatever it was called. It was from the UK and was two poles with reinforcing geometry so they could be light. But they relied too much on a solid ground anchor. Around here, you are lucky to go down 8 inches before you hit some Lava rock. It hurts to let go of such a promising idea. But it just depended too much on soil conditions that, around here, would be pretty rare.

I feel your pain
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    sideshowraheem, don’t feel bad. I had to do the same thing with my “handy hang” or whatever it was called. It was from the UK and was two poles with reinforcing geometry so they could be light. But they relied too much on a solid ground anchor. Around here, you are lucky to go down 8 inches before you hit some Lava rock. It hurts to let go of such a promising idea. But it just depended too much on soil conditions that, around here, would be pretty rare.

I feel your pain
    Cougarmeat, just curious, sounds like you were not too successful witch finding alternative anchor points (rocks etc). Asking because I was thinking of getting a single tensa pole to use in places with fewer trees (like your region of the country). Starting to feel like it might be pretty naieve to think you could go above timberline even with a pair of their poles.

I understand the tensa products are a big step up from the handy hang ( being a little less reliant on multiple anchor points). Do you think that would make tensa more useful in your area?

Also, hanging for a night on an anchor seems very different than expecting the anchor point to hold for days upon days. I’d want a little pouch of Portland with a latex additive to help support an anchor point like the latter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Well my huge ground anchor pulled out on me this weekend. Lasted a week or two and a few hangs before it just gave and pulled out.

At this point I feel like I've done everything short of losing 20 pounds. Going to post my Solo for sale I think. My ground conditions just arent conducive to using it successfully.
    Have you already tried some sort of boom stake? I rigged up a homemade one by using some scrap metal legs from a free standing garage shelving system. These about 2 ft long metal legs had many holes just big enough for a 9" stake and a carabiner to fit thru. In my backyard(grass on top of clay soil) I put 2 of these legs(about 2 ft long) side by side and hammered 1 stake on each side, as close to the end as possible. Then connected the line from my stand to the leg with a biner. I left it in the ground for weeks. I had a back up line going to another big yellow stake in the ground, but it was never needed. The boom stake, as far as I could tell, never moved even a fraction of an inch. Of course, different soil conditions might prove it useless. My only question, which apparently no one knows considering I can't get an answer: Will the boom stake anchor be stronger if I have my biner/stand cordage just a few inches from the stake, or more like 1 or 2 feet? Or does it matter? Seems to me like that distance might influence the leverage, depending on the distance between where the rope connects to the "boom" and the stake in the ground. But which way would cause less strain on the stake I have no clue.

But, either way, it has been holding great so far.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

I feel your pain
    Yeah its not a knock on the Tensa solo pole. That thing is incredibly strong and well built. I place the blame entirely on my soil/ground conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Delen Trekker View Post
    I understand the tensa products are a big step up from the handy hang ( being a little less reliant on multiple anchor points). Do you think that would make tensa more useful in your area?

Also, hanging for a night on an anchor seems very different than expecting the anchor point to hold for days upon days. I’d want a little pouch of Portland with a latex additive to help support an anchor point like the latter
    To be clear this ground anchor gave after being in the ground a couple of weeks and being used for approximately 5-6 hangs. Its entirely possible and probable that for single hangs in your area you'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Have you already tried some sort of boom stake?
    I have not yet, I could give it a shot I suppose. I really thought these 16 inch ground anchors would be even more robust then a boom stake though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post

I have not yet, I could give it a shot I suppose. I really thought these 16 inch ground anchors would be even more robust then a boom stake though.
    I think(no proof though) a boom stake would be significantly stronger. Although I am not sure about my home made ones. But one thing seems very likely: Your 16" stakes with a boom added to them would almost certainly improve your hold, from whatever the 16" stakes could already provide, a good bit.

Also, I found an answer, or at least an opinion, to my question about the proper length of the boom, in post #10 of this thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/34348-Stake-Boom

A related thread, boom stake for stands:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hammock-Stand
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-04-2021 at 11:14.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Delen Trekker - I was a little confused at first with, “...I’d want a little pouch of Portland with a latex …” because Bend is only three hours from Portland (Oregon) and Portland has much better “dirt”. We have lots of trees here if you travel towards the mountains only 23 miles away (Mt. Bachelor, Tumalo Mt. South Sister, Middle Sister, North Sister, etc.) but mostly scrub Juniper if you head east. The area I was considering wasn’t above the tree line but just local parks with grass - shipped in grass. You are right that a full Tensa4 would better because there would be less pull on the stakes.

The two challenging environments are above the tree line on summit hikes - no so much anymore - and various kayak landing sites. That can be anything from sandy beach to slab rock. though I can rig a bivi bag setup - ground sheet and tarp - it’s easier to just add a small solo tent to the kayak gear. But that was before the Tensa4 design. The Tensa4 still needs an anchor. The handy hang had four ground screws, two per end. They absolutely had to be solid in the ground. In some areas, that’s easy to accomplish (i.e. Portland), land west of the cascade range. Over here - not so much,
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    Thanks cougarmeat and sorry for the confusion, was referring to Portland cement ( which is named for a place in Scotland I think).

I should have read more of the thread too before making a comment because I’d expect 16 inch stakes to hold ( and for more than just a night or two!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast