Hammock
    CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I really like the principle of this set up.
    Just one thing if the hole in the boom stake was Repositioned to say in the middle would that not work better? As it would create a fulcrum thus the boom would take some of the load Causing a pressure on the ground surface. Instead of the stake taking the full leverage. I hope that makes sense. Just a thought.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    One comment, from experience, if the ground is soft you need something to keep the solo from sinking into the ground and slowly lowering you! I made this mistake and woke up on the ground with little or no impact, but was very disorienting!!!

Hammock
    CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    One comment, from experience, if the ground is soft you need something to keep the solo from sinking into the ground and slowly lowering you! I made this mistake and woke up on the ground with little or no impact, but was very disorienting!!!
    If you could do that on a timer for breakfast that would be good!

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    This seems to be the closest thing to a general thread on the Solo so I'll ask here hoping that the Tensa crew is still monitoring. Aside from making sure the dogbones don't get abraded at the end of the boom is there any reason not to do this? It does effectively extend the boom and changes the geometry a bit which could be either a good thing or maybe increasing the potential for failure which is a bad thing. Either way it is cleaner, simpler and less fiddly than looping the strap.

IMG_20210324_181426215.jpg

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Put something, anything under the foot.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    This seems to be the closest thing to a general thread on the Solo so I'll ask here hoping that the Tensa crew is still monitoring. Aside from making sure the dogbones don't get abraded at the end of the boom is there any reason not to do this? It does effectively extend the boom and changes the geometry a bit which could be either a good thing or maybe increasing the potential for failure which is a bad thing. Either way it is cleaner, simpler and less fiddly than looping the strap.

IMG_20210324_181426215.jpg
    Cleaner, less fiddly, but completely untested. I worry the amsteel will split the aluminum tubing. Also it makes it impossible to remove the guylines without pulling up the stakes. That said, the only thing you risk is the boom. I know we don't sell booms without stakes, but in this case we might consider it if you experiment and it fails.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Cleaner, less fiddly, but completely untested.
    Hence the question. Heck of a quick reply, thanks for that.

Not an engineer but given the angles and forces involved I am more concerned with the increased leverage on the holes at the other end that already require a reinforcing sleeve. My money would be on the amsteel failing at the metal edge faster than splitting the tempered 7xxx (7075?) aluminum tubing from what at max should be a couple hundred pounds of force at an approximately 45 degree angle. Admittedly possible but I'll take my chances.

I know we don't sell booms without stakes, but in this case we might consider it if you experiment and it fails.
    Fair enough.

Also it makes it impossible to remove the guylines without pulling up the stakes.
    True that. My plan is to use the system for a while and then whip up some amsteel straps when I have a better idea how I want them and might integrate a detachable button link or toggle if needed.

Thanks for the response. I lusted after the new Treez muchly but my wallet insisted on trying out the Solo first to see if I would use the system enough to justify the expense. My initial impressions of the quality, workmanship and thoughtfulness of the Solo lead me to believe I will end up with your entire product line eventually.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfzip
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Katabatic, EE, HG
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Recently just got one Treez. Stripped down I got the weight down to 29oz with 30cm booms. Thought about taking the foam off, as I don't ever plan on using this as a hiking pole, but probably will not.

Still reeling in the thought of only needing one tree, and being able to set up anywhere around the tree.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ive been going over my hanging options in my backyard for a while now. I've considered sinking in a 6x6 cedar post in my yard, making a turtledog stand, some crazy rope work between another far off tree, before I settled on the Tensa Solo. Even with shipping it came out to be about the same price as a treated or cedar 6x6 and I can take this one with me to other parks.

Planning to use it with a big oak tree in my backyard and hanging out all summer with it!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    I settled on the Tensa Solo.
    Report back on how you like it. I'll probably order one for the same reason but wanted to test with a 2x4 to see how I liked hanging from a pole on one end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast