Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I’ve used my solo a few times now. Last time out, I tried the boom stake as the ground was too hard for the screws. This ground was seriously hard - even with a hammer I could only pound them in maybe 8 inches. Tested it hard and it was super solid so away I went and had no issues.

I’m wondering if this is a reasonably correct way to use the booms when they cannot be fully inserted into the ground?
    Attachment 189359
    Since Tensa offers two different length of boom stakes I have to ask, is that the longer 40cm long stake? If not, and that's the 30cm one, I'm amazed it held with so little underground. But, I suppose that if the ground was that hard there would be a lot less ability of the stake to shift around and the stake would have the same ability to hold in place as a longer drop into a softer soil (ie: same amount of effective counter force to your weight in the hammock).

I've never had the problem you describe, frankly all of my issues have been due to the ground being "deceptively soft" and having stakes pull out in the middle of a hang. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill View Post
    Since Tensa offers two different length of boom stakes I have to ask, is that the longer 40cm long stake? If not, and that's the 30cm one, I'm amazed it held with so little underground. But, I suppose that if the ground was that hard there would be a lot less ability of the stake to shift around and the stake would have the same ability to hold in place as a longer drop into a softer soil (ie: same amount of effective counter force to your weight in the hammock).

I've never had the problem you describe, frankly all of my issues have been due to the ground being "deceptively soft" and having stakes pull out in the middle of a hang. Thanks for sharing!
    Yeah, these are the 40s. I was a bit nervous but I tested them out by bouncing a fair amount on the hammock and they seemed extremely solid. This is the first time that I’ve used the sticks, but was impressed with them.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I’ve used my solo a few times now. Last time out, I tried the boom stake as the ground was too hard for the screws. This ground was seriously hard - even with a hammer I could only pound them in maybe 8 inches. Tested it hard and it was super solid so away I went and had no issues.

I’m wondering if this is a reasonably correct way to use the booms when they cannot be fully inserted into the ground?
    Attachment 189359
    In many cases the boom may slide up the stake and (probably) fail if you can’t drive the stake in all the way. The good news is that in most cases super hard ground will hold the stake even without using the boom, and without the stake being driven all the way in. My rule of thumb is that if the stake requires hammering to get past the first couple inches, the boom is probably unnecessary.

Just be sure to keep the line at ground level, not higher up on the stake. Same goes for the screw type anchors: if you can’t fully sink it, connect the line at ground level, not to the unsupported top.

The boom helps more in soft ground, helping Boomstakes compete with screw type anchors in those specific conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket or whoopie
    Fun story from trying to set up my Tensa Solo for the first experiment in my backyard. Was hoping it would work with some regular y-style stakes... Bad idea.

So I kind of found a new way to lose a stake as I sat down in the hammock ever so slowly - the Tensa Solo ripped the stake out, slammed flat into the ground toward my other stake, sending the free stake flying into kingdom come of its guyline, catapult-like. After a few different days of failed searching despite its colors and reflective cord, I assume it is 20-ft high in a pine tree or a quarter mile down the way. Glad the ground was soft enough: the pole looks perfectly fine.

I learned two things:
    1 - I probably need those special stakes.
    2 - Tensa Solo can be used to deter (slay?) bears if you have good aim.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718