Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Tensa SOLO?

Images
    Random thought/question for all Tensa anchoring: If one good tree or any good anchor is available, should that(i.e. the tree) always be for the foot end? Because all we really need for the head end is a good counter weight, and possibly not even that? So, if 1 and only 1 good anchor is available, unless we have some other reason not to, I should always have my feet towards the tree and my head away from it, right?

A reason not to might be because maybe I want to be looking out on the scenery which might require my head near that tree. Then I would need a boom stake or whatever for the foot end, and not be able to let the 1 tree take the max load. But without some reason to do otherwise, if I have 1 tree, that is really the only strong anchor that I really need, seems to me. Right?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Shug, It looks like you're running really long lines to your stakes. I don't think I've ever gone more than about 10" of line.
    W/ the angle of the pole it pretty much looks like a pyramid when I'm set up.
    Our ground is really wet and soggy right now so I am following tips from the Tensa makers. I'll shorten later but this is first pitch in soggy soil.

From Tensa: “Lawns can be deceptively unsupportive, as you have found. The roots don't run deep, while worms tend to keep the soil below quite loose. Here is a list of tips, not all of which will apply on your lawn. #3 may be the most useful.

1. Lengthen the guylines to their max to position the anchors as far away from the stand as possible.
    2. Position the anchors closer to each other. If you position them too close, however, your pole might flop sideways under load.
    3. Lean the pole away from the hammock more steeply. This transfers load onto the pole away from the anchors. This also lowers the suspension point and the weight capacity of the pole by some amount. It also heightens the risk of the pole sliding out toward the hammock under load; proceed carefully, assuring that the foot is digging into the soil. Not viable on hard ground, but with hard ground your anchors aren't likely pulling up either.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Random thought/question for all Tensa anchoring: If one good tree or any good anchor is available, should that(i.e. the tree) always be for the foot end? Because all we really need for the head end is a good counter weight, and possibly not even that? So, if 1 and only 1 good anchor is available, unless we have some other reason not to, I should always have my feet towards the tree and my head away from it, right?

A reason not to might be because maybe I want to be looking out on the scenery which might require my head near that tree. Then I would need a boom stake or whatever for the foot end, and not be able to let the 1 tree take the max load. But without some reason to do otherwise, if I have 1 tree, that is really the only strong anchor that I really need, seems to me. Right?
    This would be true for Tensa4, but for Tensa Solo and Trekking Treez, I’d amend this by recommending using tree for foot end and roots/shrubs for head end ground anchors, with Orange Screws, boomstakes, or Titan anchors as next best options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Our ground is really wet and soggy right now so I am following tips from the Tensa makers. I'll shorten later but this is first pitch in soggy soil.

From Tensa: “Lawns can be deceptively unsupportive, as you have found. The roots don't run deep, while worms tend to keep the soil below quite loose. Here is a list of tips, not all of which will apply on your lawn. #3 may be the most useful.

1. Lengthen the guylines to their max to position the anchors as far away from the stand as possible.
    2. Position the anchors closer to each other. If you position them too close, however, your pole might flop sideways under load.
    3. Lean the pole away from the hammock more steeply. This transfers load onto the pole away from the anchors. This also lowers the suspension point and the weight capacity of the pole by some amount. It also heightens the risk of the pole sliding out toward the hammock under load; proceed carefully, assuring that the foot is digging into the soil. Not viable on hard ground, but with hard ground your anchors aren't likely pulling up either.
    I do lean the pole at almost a 30° so most of the force is pushing the pole into the ground (sometimes a problem for me w/ sand but have managed to find or have things to put under it) and I find the pressure on the anchor lines is pretty low.
    Which is also the reason I put my feet to the tree (to answer another question posted). It lets me raise the foot end higher than I can if it was just going to the Solo.
    Would I rather have the view and not be looking at the tree, sure, but then I find that I don't see much when l'm sleeping and if I'm sitting in it during the day I tend to sit w/ the foot end as my back support because it's a steeper angle than the head.

I'd like to have a weigh scale that I could put inline and see how much pull it has at different angles, but I think I'll have to leave that to someone else to play w/.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    I bought two Tensa Solos a while back before a motorcycle trip, out of an abundance of caution. So far I've only used one at a time, but have found that as many lengthy guy lines as possible were the way to go. I added more than were recommended and longer than I probably needed to, and attached them to a variety of anchors. It reminded me of anchoring my sailboat prior to a storm.

I don't know that this added much of anything to the conversation, but I thought I'd share my rather limited experience.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like staring at tree bark.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post
    This would be true for Tensa4, but for Tensa Solo and Trekking Treez, I’d amend this by recommending using tree for foot end and roots/shrubs for head end ground anchors, with Orange Screws, boomstakes, or Titan anchors as next best options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, that is what I was trying to say. Using the tree as the foot end anchor in all 3 cases. I think we agree. Boom or orange stakes for head end only if something else (like tree, roots, shrubs) not available. And I usually use a counter weight either way.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-23-2022 at 20:56.

Images
    I like staring at tree bark.
    HA! Well then my theory of, unless there is a really good reason not to, always using the tree for the foot end anchor for all tensa varieties, should work for you! Makes it easy to stare at tree bark! Save that boom, or orange, stake for the head end! I actually did exactly that on my Adirondack trip, when I took the Tensa on the plane with me, I used the boom stake for the hard packed camp site on the head end, and my foot end was tethered to a smallish tree. I got to stare at tree bark! It was great!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Just got a Tensa Solo. Those of you that use one do you leave a little slack in the Solo guy lines?
    I'd love to see it rigged up with the draumr

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’ve used my solo a few times now. Last time out, I tried the boom stake as the ground was too hard for the screws. This ground was seriously hard - even with a hammer I could only pound them in maybe 8 inches. Tested it hard and it was super solid so away I went and had no issues.

I’m wondering if this is a reasonably correct way to use the booms when they cannot be fully inserted into the ground?
    B80B6C75-E2B3-4A39-B4E2-0302878C12F7.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast