banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker Bob View Post
    All four screws are now bent. I tried an anchor from Home Depot but it would not grip the top soil The next trip is in June in Tennessee where I will have the drive in stakes and another soil type. The only disappointing part of the system is the Orange Screws.
    Yours is first report of bent Orange Screws. For our understanding, can you send or post a photo? If bent right at the top, situation may be avoidable by attaching line below the normal point, directly in contact with the soil surface.

Anchors are the Achilles heel of all systems like this, whether DIY or commercial. While Orange Screws aren’t perfect for all conditions, in our testing they proved suitable over a broader range of conditions than others. In ground conditions truly too hard to drive the screws into, nail types you must hammer in are better. But those rocky places often afford hard points you can tie off to, rocks or bases of woody shrubs, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Doesn't seem to be much love for this option. Or, at least my google skills are lacking. In the Northeast, I don't have too much of a problem finding trees. Plenty of times I've thought, if I could attach to that tree over there, it'd be perfect, but... Thinking stuffing this option in my bag might be good for peace of mind for those times.

Thoughts?
    Ive been researching the Solo and the no ground trekking poles by raftingtigger. Almost nothing out there about either one. Been trying to prod Shug into doing something, but I don't think he's biting.
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Hammock
    Chameleon, LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    Asym Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Suspension
    Playing with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    Ive been researching the Solo and the no ground trekking poles by raftingtigger. Almost nothing out there about either one. Been trying to prod Shug into doing something, but I don't think he's biting.
    Yes not much on the Tensa Solo but in regards to the NoGround Hiking Pole...
    The Shug did this back in 2016...Hanging from One Tree with NoGround Hiking Pole First Look

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraRunner View Post
    Yes not much on the Tensa Solo but in regards to the NoGround Hiking Pole...
    The Shug did this back in 2016...Hanging from One Tree with NoGround Hiking Pole First Look
    yeah, asked him for an update since then. Said he doesn't go anywhere without trees. LOL......oh well
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Screws bent in the middle enough to not fit back in the tubes. it appears when the ground is soft enough to be able to screw this in, the ground does not give good enough support for the screw and when ground is hard enough to totally support the full length of the screw, it is too hard too allow the screw to enter.
    The use was the infield of DIS so I have no idea of composition of the soil other than sandy loam top soil with something harder underneath. At my home where the soil has never been graded and judging by the size of the trees probably has not been plowed for sixty or more years, the soil has up to 18 inches of sandy loam over a base of red clay.
    My camera broke ten years ago when I retired and I saw no need to replace it.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Screws bent in the middle enough to not fit back in the tubes. it appears when the ground is soft enough to be able to screw this in, the ground does not give good enough support for the screw and when ground is hard enough to totally support the full length of the screw, it is too hard too allow the screw to enter.
    Ah, I have noticed some stiffness in getting them back into the tube, but not so severe that it's impossible. It may well be sufficient to bend them back straight enough. I can't find it now, but I remember seeing video of Orange Screws being bent very severely without breaking, meaning they make a feature out of a lack of stiffness that might be taken as a defect in some contexts.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon, LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    Asym Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Suspension
    Playing with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    ...but I remember seeing video of Orange Screws being bent very severely without breaking, meaning they make a feature out of a lack of stiffness that might be taken as a defect in some contexts.
    Perhaps this is it...

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Screws bent in the middle enough to not fit back in the tubes.
    Biker Bob, Orange Screw says it is safe to bend back, but don't apply heat as this may make brittle. The screws are designed to deform before breaking. They say that a permanent bend shouldn't occur with less than a 45º bend with 600-lb load, though, so they offer to replace, as this is unusual. They did ask for photos. Tensa can handle this if you want.
    --

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Std. HH Asym
    Insulation
    Living in FL./HHSS
    Suspension
    Stock HH - for now
    I would think that a set up like this would distribute and spread out any excessive force on the orange screw (with the orange screw being where the whoopie loop is in the picture and the dogbone going out to three Y-stakes):
    P9132223.jpg

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    I cannot wait to take my two solo's out. I often canoe camp on sand bars and for the last 4 years have had to sleep on the ground of all places!!!
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast