Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Tensa SOLO?

I have the tensa 4 and I have always planned on buying enough spare parts to for my son and I to be able to camp in the back yard. We have a couple of trees but they're all too close together. One pole for each of us would be perfect. He's getting older, so maybe over this summer I'll be making that order.

Bought two solos for a planned trip in June. A change in plans took the stands to Daytona Bikeweek. Cheryl was quick to answer an email inquiry and assured me the items shipped in time to make the trip. When the units arrived I set them up in the yard and quickly determined my daisy chain/carabiner suspension would not reach for my hammock. The nearest source of cordage is West Marine, an hour away. I set aside a morning to rig a usable suspension, but of course it poured rain that day.

Two days later, on my way south, I stopped at West and bought ten feet of rope with knot holding ability and minimum stretch. On arrival at Daytona, the wind was blowing. Staking the tarp was like trying to reef a Genoa. It is hard to set sag when the hammock is blowing sideways. I used to bug net to keep the top quilt from blowing away. Everything worked well Friday and Saturday nights but Sunday when I sat down to pull my boots on an Orange Screw pulled out of the ground. It was bent.

I relocated to a quieter campsite and was careful to locate the screws so they were totally in the ground. Other than daily tightening the guy lines everything was fine. I decided to strike camp yesterday during a another day of wind. All four screws are now bent. I tried an anchor from Home Depot but it would not grip the top soil The next trip is in June in Tennessee where I will have the drive in stakes and another soil type. The only disappointing part of the system is the Orange Screws.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker Bob View Post
    Bought two solos for a planned trip in June. A change in plans took the stands to Daytona Bikeweek. Cheryl was quick to answer an email inquiry and assured me the items shipped in time to make the trip. When the units arrived I set them up in the yard and quickly determined my daisy chain/carabiner suspension would not reach for my hammock. The nearest source of cordage is West Marine, an hour away. I set aside a morning to rig a usable suspension, but of course it poured rain that day.

Two days later, on my way south, I stopped at West and bought ten feet of rope with knot holding ability and minimum stretch. On arrival at Daytona, the wind was blowing. Staking the tarp was like trying to reef a Genoa. It is hard to set sag when the hammock is blowing sideways. I used to bug net to keep the top quilt from blowing away. Everything worked well Friday and Saturday nights but Sunday when I sat down to pull my boots on an Orange Screw pulled out of the ground. It was bent.

I relocated to a quieter campsite and was careful to locate the screws so they were totally in the ground. Other than daily tightening the guy lines everything was fine. I decided to strike camp yesterday during a another day of wind. All four screws are now bent. I tried an anchor from Home Depot but it would not grip the top soil The next trip is in June in Tennessee where I will have the drive in stakes and another soil type. The only disappointing part of the system is the Orange Screws.
    I may be completely off here, and I hate to say, but it sounds like you may not be using the orange screws correctly. They should be screwed all the way in to the ground, partial screw-in will not give you the holding power for a wind storm or such.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, UGQ TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I’ve used the Tensa solo with great success while motorcycle trekking as well as in desert environments. However, I would recommend buying these titanium ground stakes to use in rocky or hard-packed ground:

TITO High Strength Titanium alloy tent stakes Tent pegs nail pegs for canopy camping tent DIA 8mm and Length 240mm only 56G (8x300mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRX9J6V..._AZQHCbQ2CTPV0

The titanium stakes are 12” x 0.25” and are INDUSTRUCTABLE. The orange plastic screws that comes with Tensa are good for sand or soft ground, but not so good for super hard ground.

Here are a couple of recent photos of the Tensa in use:

[AIMG]Attachment 173378[/AIMG]

Attachment 173380
    I think TSA may have a bit of an issue if I carry those stakes in my carry-on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazytown, they were screwed to the ground. The top appears to move even when all threads are in the ground.

Hammock
    Chameleon, LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    Asym Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Suspension
    Playing with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    As for low Google love, it’s only been out a short time in the off season. We haven’t marketed it beyond a minimum as we scale up our productive capacity and roll in some small changes.

It is all about peace of mind, and in a backpackable package. The asterisk is that unlike Tensa4 which truly sets up everywhere, you must be able to get in 2 solid ground anchors per side, which can take some trial and error in very rocky or exceptionally loose ground conditions. With the apparent discontinuation of the DD Stand (formerly Handy Hammock) we think this is the only stand of this type in a lightweight, compact format available, and ours supports tarps at proper height unlike others.

I think it’s a natural complement to Tensa4, through the conversion kits especially. Say you are moto-touring through the desert with your SO and have 2 hammocks and one Tensa4 packed. You find 3-4 trees well spaced? You are lucky. 2 trees? One hangs there, other in Tensa4. 1 tree? Break Tensa4 into 2 halves with the tree central (Gadget documented this) OR convert 2 t4 poles into Solos and hang from the tree. Zero trees? Breathe deep: Tensa4 has FOUR Solo-convertible sections. Did you have 2 babies and trade in the moto for a Subaru? With a few extra parts you can convert one Tensa4 into EIGHT Solos, to hang a family of 4 with no trees, full tarp affordances, with a total stand weight somewhere around 16lbs, still packing to 19” long.

If you do find suitable trees at your destination, a Solo doubles as the world’s most overbuilt porch mode tarp support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Curious is the current Tensa Solo being sold has identical tubing with the 1″ tubing at the ends of the Tensa4 stand (end with 4 segments) with the additional 5th segement on top to create the Tensa Solo? If so I may be tempted to purchase the Tensa Solo soon!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraRunner View Post
    Curious is the current Tensa Solo being sold has identical tubing with the 1″ tubing at the ends of the Tensa4 stand (end with 4 segments) with the additional 5th segement on top to create the Tensa Solo? If so I may be tempted to purchase the Tensa Solo soon!
    If I understand you correctly, yes. Tensa Solo uses the same 4 sizes used in t4 with an additional smaller 5th size as the tarp extension.

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon, LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    Asym Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Suspension
    Playing with it
    If I understand you correctly, yes. Tensa Solo uses the same 4 sizes used in t4 with an additional smaller 5th size as the tarp extension.

Yes, with the U-indent shape?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraRunner View Post
    Yes, with the U-indent shape?
    Correct. 5 distinct molds.

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon, LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    Asym Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Suspension
    Playing with it
    Correct. 5 distinct molds.

Awesome Look forward to trying it out!