WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles

double layer or not?

Besides using a pad why else would you get a double layer?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I don't want to detract from other answers you might get from people, but here is some info I've pulled off our website in hopes that it might help.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/choosing.html#!#Layers

Body Weight - Depending on the fabrics used, a double layer will normally provide a more solid feeling and supportive hammock and minimize stretch. This is less of a consideration with many of the newer, stronger fabrics available. For a rough guide on comfort ratings, please check out our Comfort Rating Chart or our Hammock Calculator.

Bottom Insulation - Sleeping pads can be terribly frustrating in a single layer because they're always trying to squirt out from under you. If you intend to use a sleeping pad, a double layer hammock works much better. If using an underquilt, a single layer hammock is usually sufficient.

Durability - A double layer hammock can provide you a little more safety margin against abrasion damage or snags. In some cases, a tear or snag in a single layer hammock can mean the end of a trip and/or a cold night on the ground. A minor snag or tear in a double layer hammock can often be repaired as long as the damage is contained to only one of the two layers.

Pack weight - Obviously, a single layer hammock is lighter than a double layer. See our Hammock Calculator for a rough idea of the difference.

Wind blocking - A double layer of fabric will block more wind and can potentially provide more warmth than a single layer hammock. This of course, is a good or bad thing depending on the season.

Insect Protection - Some people claim that a double layer hammock will provide more protection from insects getting to you from below your hammock. I'm not at all sure of this because I personally always use an underquilt or sleeping pad under me. Also, I treat my personal hammocks with permetherin to combat insects and I've never once had this issue.

Price - If you don't need a double layer, you can save some bucks with a single layer.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I would only add stretch or rather comfort. Even if you are a featherweight, you might prefer a double layer if you don't like or tolerate stretch.

• + New Posts