Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Exactly... reversed!!

However, as you noted, it takes more space in a tight setup and also isn't as neatly compatible with the J-bend/Becket for the main adjustment and constrictor for the fine tuning. (I actually played thru this scenario in my noggin after standing there all flummoxed for a while.)

I can only (or can't even begin to) imagine what you have to go thru from the customer service end of things.

In the meantime, I'm, just sticking with the mini-whoopie in the first post.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Yar, I think that Brandon's latest video is likely the right track to take with these lighter webbings out there. (just run the webbing and tie a knot.)
    Or even the TI loop alien ideas from Paul (english fella but I can't recall his forum name) and others.

What might be a nice hybrid of what you and Brandon have... would be making a mini whoopie as your continuous loop for one side (probably the head end due to space requirements for the back to back bury.
    That would give you a knot based system as your primary, but give you a few inches of final adjustment without having to retie things. Seems that's the primary complaint with knots is getting that last inch or two right... though it does get you good at the knot, lol.

Ultimately I like simple... so I actually find the customer service part a pretty invaluable part of design. When you build stuff you tend to overlook all it's quirks or faults... or things just work easily for you because you built them and know how you meant them to work without thinking about it. It's only in handing them off to someone else that you highlight any issues and can improve on them. The speed hike folks keep me on my toes too though because they want to be up and down in minutes... so if I can skip a knot or make it easy to setup/breakdown in the dark then that's a better system for everyone generally.

In many ways, bridges are easier to use but you also have to accept that they aren't really much more than a drop in the bucket so educating folks is part of the deal regardless.
    Doing things a bit differently also means you have to understand that it might take a little longer when you're asking your customers to unlearn or undo what they already do.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 12-20-2018 at 13:48.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

What might be a nice hybrid of what you and Brandon have... would be making a mini whoopie as your continuous loop for one side (probably the head end due to space requirements for the back to back bury.

My first “real” hammock was set up this way. I bought a modified Hennessy off someone here in HF. The continuous loops were full Whoopies on both ends. It worked pretty well, the only reason I pulled them and put standard loops on it was in the rain the whoopies would get the hammock wet when packed. That might be worth revisiting just with a shorter whoopie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    My first “real” hammock was set up this way. I bought a modified Hennessy off someone here in HF. The continuous loops were full Whoopies on both ends. It worked pretty well, the only reason I pulled them and put standard loops on it was in the rain the whoopies would get the hammock wet when packed. That might be worth revisiting just with a shorter whoopie.

I too started off with whoopies on both ends — with strap/MSH/toggle and Dutch biner between whoopie fixed eye and hammock CL — thinking they were all necessary bits, but very quickly realized there was a whole bunch of stuff that could be bypassed... mainly because I was ticked about having to bypass a lot of perfect hanging spots due to the suspension being too darned long. And my inner gram weenie kept nagging me relentlessly.

There was a lot of evolution between then and now. This iteration of the (current!) perfect UL suspension offers 1) wider straps/huggers where desired/required, 2) simplicity of J-bend/Becket, 3) micro-adjustability to easily obtain that last Nth degree of perfection in hammock height, and 4) maintains a very good minimum length for closely spaced trees. Of course, the straps are negotiable as far as type, length and material if you want to go a bit lighter still.

I also made up some much smaller CLs after it dawned upon me that most CLs supplied by hammock makers are much longer than necessary... two of these short ones pictured below will allow for more than an additional foot of clearance in a tight setup... after which the big problem becomes the tarp fitting!

CL_comparison.jpg
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    you guys are wizards!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Yar... I never got the monster continuous loop thing either.
    For ones I sell... I use an 8" for 7/64" and a 6" for dynaglide on the UL ones... just because that's more or less the proper bury.

For personal ones.. I've gone as little as 4" with dynaglide.

I tend to look more to keep the overall apex to apex of the suspension to match the tarp I'm looking to pair it with.
    Mainly because I like the stakeless systems with tarps and if you don't balance it out like that you'll fight it more.

And just simple UL math... if you can use a smaller tarp... it will be lighter.
    To use a smaller tarp- gotta keep it all tight.

Although in playing with shortie gathered ends (9')... at some point trying to use a wide fabric to compensate for shorter length... and then increasing your sleeping angle... you end up needing more tarp than if you'd just gone with a standard width hammock a foot longer. I tended to settle around 10'6" as a decent balance. 9'4" was about the magic minimal number I could personally tolerate.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I too started off with whoopies on both ends — with strap/MSH/toggle and Dutch biner between whoopie fixed eye and hammock CL — thinking they were all necessary bits, but very quickly realized there was a whole bunch of stuff that could be bypassed... mainly because I was ticked about having to bypass a lot of perfect hanging spots due to the suspension being too darned long. And my inner gram weenie kept nagging me relentlessly.

There was a lot of evolution between then and now. This iteration of the (current!) perfect UL suspension offers 1) wider straps/huggers where desired/required, 2) simplicity of J-bend/Becket, 3) micro-adjustability to easily obtain that last Nth degree of perfection in hammock height, and 4) maintains a very good minimum length for closely spaced trees. Of course, the straps are negotiable as far as type, length and material if you want to go a bit lighter still.

I also made up some much smaller CLs after it dawned upon me that most CLs supplied by hammock makers are much longer than necessary... two of these short ones pictured below will allow for more than an additional foot of clearance in a tight setup... after which the big problem becomes the tarp fitting!

CL_comparison.jpg
    I really want to go to a simple strap only setup, I don’t tend to need much minor adjustment. My only concern with the UL straps are:
    -Is there on you’ve found that doesn’t roll up on the tree as much as others?
    -How well does a J-bend alone do in rainy conditions? Do you just end up using the shoestring trick, or does the knot stop enough water that it’s not an issue?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    FWIW-
    It works better for me with the UCR system 'reversed'.
    Referencing your photo above- the Yellow UCR would be direct on the hammock. The running line (grey) would be off the strap.
    With that system then you've always at least got the weight of the hammock holding a little tension the bury.
    As it sits any loss of tension on the UCR lets the weight of the rig tug the running line out.
    It would also mean your 'stopper bury' on the yellow UCR could be a loop that you could prussic on the running line to back up the UCR.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Apygyt54yYPwg6AdmT8ctg1ixM-lgw
    As is increasingly the case, Just Bill makes the points I would make, but several days earlier!
    On the one hand UCRs can be finicky and like Just Bill I rarely if ever sent a hammock to a customer with one, unless asked.
    But my go-to Boy Scout camp hammock has them on Amsteel, oriented as Just Bill describes and IMPORTANTLY with a prusik trying to keep some tension on the tail. I put a double wrap on the prusik to give it more 'grab' on the Amsteel, and the cord used has a rough texture, which makes it harder to slip.

That prusik loop isn't going to stop a slide once started, but serves to keep bumps and so on from letting a slide start.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I really want to go to a simple strap only setup, I don’t tend to need much minor adjustment. My only concern with the UL straps are:
    -Is there on you’ve found that doesn’t roll up on the tree as much as others?
    -How well does a J-bend alone do in rainy conditions? Do you just end up using the shoestring trick, or does the knot stop enough water that it’s not an issue?

Strap only is good.... simple_suspension_Bada-Bing_001_edited-1.jpg I find I can eyeball it and usually get really good results on the first try. The mini-whoop is for people who miss it by a skosh and want to make it right without having to re-tie. It seems to be the most common complaint.

Yep, Venom curls up (handles much like cord) and Myerstech does, too, but it flattens back out a lot easier than Venom, and Kevlar tends to remain flatter. Maybe somebody can comment on Spider.

I haven't been out in a ton of heavy rain storms, however for the couple of heavier downpours I've experienced the J-bend seemed to provide plenty of water break. Never used any strings or additional drippity-doo-dads and never had a problem.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Strap only is good.... simple_suspension_Bada-Bing_001_edited-1.jpg I find I can eyeball it and usually get really good results on the first try. The mini-whoop is for people who miss it by a skosh and want to make it right without having to re-tie. It seems to be the most common complaint.

Yep, Venom curls up (handles much like cord) and Myerstech does, too, but it flattens back out a lot easier than Venom, and Kevlar tends to remain flatter. Maybe somebody can comment on Spider.

I haven't been out in a ton of heavy rain storms, however for the couple of heavier downpours I've experienced the J-bend seemed to provide plenty of water break. Never used any strings or additional drippity-doo-dads and never had a problem.
    Thanks. I think I’ll give Kevlar a try. I’m not so much worried about trying to roll it back up, my concern is keeping the strap flat around the tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast