Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

head height vs foot height

Still working on the that "perfect hang" been playing with the foot height being about 12" higher that the head end, but not quite getting a consistent night sleep.

What are your opinions, I read 18" on the WBBB, I read other just "eyeball it". does the width of the hammock make a difference? I feel if I go higher I get more knee hyper-extension

Any real world examples will be helpful
    www.3drcparts.com my company

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I think optimal depends on your height relative to the hammock’s length (and width to a lesser extent.) The longer the hammock, the greater the height difference between head and foot ends can be.

I’m 5’10 and with my 12’ nightly (more than 2x height), I can have the foot end about 24” higher and be real flat. Shorter hammocks, less so. In the pic, the head end sags further a few inches when I’m in it as the porch swing springs stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    If you hang your foot-end higher, your body should lay more towards the head-end of the hammock. This positions your legs in the wider part of the hammock- which should alleviate knee hyper-extension, calf ridge, etc...

I've played around with this in the past, and found that having the foot end too high causes more problems for me, because it forces my upper body into the most narrow part of the hammock- which is not as comfortable. For me (at 6'1"), I've found the best solution is having the foot end 8-10" higher than the head end. It still allows by body to lay closer to the head end- which eliminates calf ridge. But I can still keep my upper body in a wider part of the hammock.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    UCR/Straps
    I used my WBBB (original 10' hammock, standard width) for about a year and a half and got many a comfortable night's sleep by just eye-balling the head-foot angle. I'd estimate the foot end was about 8-12" above the head end.

I'm 5' 7", and perhaps being on the shorter side gave me a slightly larger "sweet spot" (and room for error) in a 10' hammock than someone taller might be able tolerate.

Are you are using a 10' or 11' foot WBBB? In a 10-footer, 18" higher at the foot end sounds like a lot.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'd say 18" is too high - something else is amiss if that's required. BUT - are you indoors or outdoors? The deal is, when outdoors it is difficult to tell height differences if measured from the ground because the slope of the ground and angle of the tree can be subtle. Better to understand the purpose of "feet a bit higher" because it might not matter to you. Because of the slipperiness of the hammock nylon and your body's tendency to melt into a puddle of comfortable ooze, you can find yourself slowly sliding towards the foot end. So, contrary to ground sleepers, you want your foot end just a tad higher. How high? Just enough to stop that foot end slide.

If you want to experiment, start with the hammock level. Use a carpenter level on the ridge line to assure yourself that it is (put on a temporary ridge line if you don't normally use one). If you find yourself uncomfortably sliding towards the foot end at night or in the morning, raise the foot end about six inches higher than it is at level. Note that I am still referencing level and not comparing the ends when measured from the ground because the ground could have a hardly detectable but influential slope. Try again - if that height stopped the slide and you are comfortable - good. Or you could cut it back to 3 inches above level and try again - to find the minimum height difference needed.

Maybe you might have to go a little higher than 6 inches - so much geometry in play. But if you have to go up to a foot higher, I'm thinking some of the other dimensions - like hang angle itself - might need attention.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've gotten to the point where I can just guess by how much I'm reaching up the trees. Then I always stand back about 15' to give it a quick check and see if the ridgeline is at a slight angle.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    I use one of the line level bubbles for masonry work. I have also set the tarp ridge line level (but no tarp at this point) and then work on the hammock setup.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I've gotten to the point where I can just guess by how much I'm reaching up the trees. Then I always stand back about 15' to give it a quick check and see if the ridgeline is at a slight angle.
    ^^^^^This is how I do it.

Do it enough and you develop an eye for it (and the hangle) and, after a while, if it looks right it probably is right.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

thanks for all the help, going to just start experimenting indoors and on the back deck until I find "my" sweet spot
    www.3drcparts.com my company

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boca1 View Post
    thanks for all the help, going to just start experimenting indoors and on the back deck until I find "my" sweet spot
    Even will all the advice, this is usually what it takes. We all have slightly different preferences which are hard to account for. I have learned A LOT. One surprising thing is I've found I can easily use a 10' hammock. Swore off of them a long time ago, but the more you learn, the more you can apply. I have 6 bridges, 2 10' hammocks, and 2 11' hammocks. I have certain ones I use for certain situations, but love them all! Good luck!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast