The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief

Convert regular UQ to Wookie-style UQ

If I removed all the shockcord from my HG Incubator UQ, and then sewed some lightweight ripstop around it like in this excellent diagram:

diy-wookie.jpg

and then gathered the ends with short but strong shockcord, would I have a good "wookie-equivalent"?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally am averse to experimenting on a perfectly good quilt with actual resale value and possibly turning it into something that has no value to anyone. I also think it would probably be a bit more complicated than just sewing some ripstop on to the quilt. What are you going to do with the grosgrain channel for the shock cord - just leave it there?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I personally am averse to experimenting on a perfectly good quilt with actual resale value and possibly turning it into something that has no value to anyone. I also think it would probably be a bit more complicated than just sewing some ripstop on to the quilt. What are you going to do with the grosgrain channel for the shock cord - just leave it there?
    Yep, leave it there.
    The mod would be reversible, though with a painful amount of unpicking.

Hammock
    ?? Don't know? I have a grand trunk
    Insulation
    Home made down top
    Suspension
    Straps
    Excellent drawing.

Images
    It really is that simple. An actual Wookie would have more finess in the fit and finish, but your simple diagram is really all it takes. Someone in the lengthy Get A Clew thread made something similar with a clew suspension.

If you want something that hugs but you want to keep the square orientation instead of the biased lay, you can try a spandex mod. It would be much easier to sew and easier to reverse if you didn’t like it.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    I did the exact same thing and couldn't be happier.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...wookie-ish-mod

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    A couple pieces of advice. I decided to add three equally spaced cam snaps to snap the quilt to the hammock.. This worked out great, however my initial mod was only 10’ long and I have an 11’ hammock. I didn’t think the mod needed to be full length but I ended up with some squeezing so I extended the mod to be a full 11’. Also, remember to offset the quilt on the fabric to be closer to the head end if you like to pitch foot end high like many prefer. I laid in my hammock to determine how much but I want to say it was 16”. Lastly, I’m using simply 1/8” shock cord that I tied into a loop with an overhand knot then ran through the end channels of the quilt and lark’s headed. If you need more tension then just keep adding overhand knots until it’s perfect. Having recently switched to Beckett hitch, I just run the shock cord up and hook it on the knot for the hitch. No hardware.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I did the spandex version, but with ripstop (I actually wish I'd thought of spandex)

it's easy to do, easy to remove if you're not happy, and it just works

20170505_142118.jpg20170505_190151.jpg20170505_142506.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    It really is that simple. An actual Wookie would have more finess in the fit and finish, but your simple diagram is really all it takes. Someone in the lengthy Get A Clew thread made something similar with a clew suspension.

If you want something that hugs but you want to keep the square orientation instead of the biased lay, you can try a spandex mod. It would be much easier to sew and easier to reverse if you didn’t like it.
    Have been messing around with fleece material making saddles (small gathered end hammock seats) for hunting. Many a DIY saddle hunter is being pointed to this site so be prepared for what might seem as bizarre questions. Anyway, fleece being a two way stretch fabric might be something to consider. Not sure if it has enough "pull" to work in this application. Have an old CDT UQ that has been my test subject for many an experiment will give it a go and see how it performs. Likely the "double banded" version.

I had made a clew suspension out of spandex "ribbons" that I cut in place of shock cord. Worked well with 6 ribbons on each end. My dull scissors were not up to the task and they looked awful but worked well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts