Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie

Doubling up for winter 2x 10F TQ and 2x 20F UQ

So I have a Jarbidge 3/4 underquilt. It is the three season version, rated to about 20F. I have had it down to 5F with assorted other frosty tricks - hot water bottle, sleeping bag draped over ridge-line, breathable reflective bivvy..

My down top-quilt is rated to 10F and that too has taken me to 5F.

I usually hang with my daughter, identical equipment. She is not going on Jan5 winter trip so I am thinking of just doubling up. Two UQ' and two TQ's. I am thinking that this should get me down to -5f or even -10f but would welcome any thoughts on that.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Doubling works well.
    For instance a 20º layered with a 40º will get you to around -5º or -10º .
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I doubled last winter down to -13°F with two 20° UQs, a 20° TQ and my CDT TQ. I actually had to ditch the CDT TQ in the middle of the night, because I was too warm! Doubling your quilts is a great way increase warmth. It's just probably not the best solution for backpacking.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I double my 0 and 20f quilts and figure I'm good to -40....-30c is easy peasy
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yeah, but ... just remember when you "double" to not have the lower quilt's suspension so tight that it compresses the one above it. Loft is the name of the game. If things are too tight you reduce the benefit. Some models, like the WarBonnet UQ for the Ridge Runner, HG UQ's and others, have a differential cut so they can be snugged up the the hammock bottom while not compressing the loft underneath. But that assumes nothing is pressing up on it from underneath. Keep that second bottom layer loose-ish.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Yeah, but ... just remember when you "double" to not have the lower quilt's suspension so tight that it compresses the one above it. Loft is the name of the game. If things are too tight you reduce the benefit. Some models, like the WarBonnet UQ for the Ridge Runner, HG UQ's and others, have a differential cut so they can be snugged up the the hammock bottom while not compressing the loft underneath. But that assumes nothing is pressing up on it from underneath. Keep that second bottom layer loose-ish.
    Good point. I've found a 3-4" loop of Zing-it (or any cordage) larksheaded to each end of the outer UQ suspension generally gives enough extra length to avoid compression.

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    Has anyone made underquilts that work like an army sleep system: light, heavy, and waterproof shell? It would be convenient to have a modular system that could be broken apart.
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlothandFox View Post
    Has anyone made underquilts that work like an army sleep system: light, heavy, and waterproof shell?
    There was one guy who tried making underquilts with a silnylon bottom. While he was told a waterproof quilt was not breathable, and therefore a bad idea, he persisted and quickly went out of business.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=calm+hike

2QZQ used to offer a silnylon underquilt protector (UQP) but they quit selling them several years back. I guess nobody wanted the condensation!

https://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/pr...lt-protectors/
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 12-15-2018 at 18:54.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    When I stack 0* and 20* underquilts, the 20* goes on first closest to hammock. And 0* goes on second furthest from hammock. They both lift empty hammock about a foot. I’m sure the 20* is compressed. And I think and hope the 20* augments the 0* at least some. It has worked for me in the past, and YMMV.
    Your plan of not compressing the inside underquilt is probably better than my method, but I’d always wonder if I had it adjusted correctly with no gaps. I believe it can be done—I think the possibility of error is greater. And if stacking two underquilts can be done without compressing the inner underquilt and without having gaps—your method will work best.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Has anyone made underquilts that work like an army sleep system: light, heavy, and waterproof shell?
    Wiggy's does this too with their sleeping bags. You can get down to a -80F rating if you combine their mummy and shell bag as as system.

I use a Dutch Sock. We use the summer ones which are half mesh and half solid. I may double up that layer too and stagger them so I have a solid sock. Than there is the UQ and TQ. On the sides there is overlap with the UQ and TQ. There are also Cocoons like Snugpaks. They also sell UQ and TQ so could be construed as a system. So although I do not think vendors advertise them as a system I surely think of my hammock gear as a shelter system, swapping in various pieces according to need. It is one of the big attractions for us. So my ECWS is winter fly, sock(s), UQ(s), TQ(s), last time out I slipped in an extra 1x1 footpad under my butt and than my cold weather sleep PJ's (another system).

Thanks for the tip about not compressing UQ. I will build in a small extension. I was actually thinking about building in an extension one one opposite end of each UQ with the idea of extending their 3/4 coverage. Inside UQ would be pulled a bit higher to my head, outside a bit lower to me feet. But in his handy how to use video Paul of Arrowhead wards of getting pleats that let wind in. May just stack on on top of other with the lower a bit looser.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast