Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    Just realized this was in the Warbonnet section, not the general topics. Apologies for pushing another companies product in my last response. I know the cottage vendors here are all very gracious and complimentary of each other, still I wouldn’t have done that had I realized.
    -DC

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    From Warbonnet's FAQ:
    in general the largest commercial camping pad that will be appropriate will be the size of the Exped downmat 9 LW, which is aprox. 77″x25″x3.5″
    They go on to suggest an underquilt is a better option-
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/faqs/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyM View Post
    From Warbonnet's FAQ:
    in general the largest commercial camping pad that will be appropriate will be the size of the Exped downmat 9 LW, which is aprox. 77″x25″x3.5″
    They go on to suggest an underquilt is a better option-
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/faqs/
    Thanks for that, I missed it in their faq. That part of the faq seems to be more about their blackbird hammocks.

I ended up buying an Exped Megamat, Regular Wide: 72.1 x 25.6 x 3.9 inches. I'll post up how it goes. Temps will go down to the low 20s in the next couple nights so i plan to test it out then, if it even fits.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yes and be careful with that much height on a pad as it can make the RR quite tippy as well.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    i tried 3 separate pads and here are my thoughts on each:

Exped MegaMat 10; Regular Wide: 72.1 x 25.6 x 3.9 inches; Regular Wide: 3 lb.s 12 oz.; https://www.rei.com/product/113719/e...0-sleeping-pad
    was a fraction of an inch too wide when inflated, but it fit. didn't feel too tippy but had a bad tendency to "taco" when laying in it that made it feel like a gathered end hammock. i liked the idea of a high R value pad but this one didn't work out well.

Therm-a-Rest BaseCamp; Long: 77 x 25 x 2 inches; Long: 2 lbs. 12 oz.; https://www.rei.com/product/113443/t...p-sleeping-pad
    this one fit well with maybe an inch or so free play on either side. like the megamat, it had a tendency to "taco" when laying in it. this one has a high R value too and it fit well, but i just couldn't get past the taco effect.

REI Co-op Kingdom; Long: 78 x 25 x 2.75 inches; Long: 2 lbs. 9 oz.; https://www.rei.com/product/895083/r...r-sleeping-pad
    similar dimensions to the BaseCamp, but slightly thicker. this pad has horizontal baffles that work really well to prevent any taco effect, and had the flattest lay of all three. it's R value is the lowest, but it's also the lightest of the bunch. i plan to use this one to test out on my deck to see how cold i can go with pad only, no underquilt. if you want a pad to help get a flat lay in your ridgerunner, i suggest looking for a pad that has similar horizontal baffles.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    i tried 3 separate pads and here are my thoughts on each:

Exped MegaMat 10; Regular Wide: 72.1 x 25.6 x 3.9 inches; Regular Wide: 3 lb.s 12 oz.; https://www.rei.com/product/113719/e...0-sleeping-pad
    was a fraction of an inch too wide when inflated, but it fit. didn't feel too tippy but had a bad tendency to "taco" when laying in it that made it feel like a gathered end hammock. i liked the idea of a high R value pad but this one didn't work out well.

Therm-a-Rest BaseCamp; Long: 77 x 25 x 2 inches; Long: 2 lbs. 12 oz.; https://www.rei.com/product/113443/t...p-sleeping-pad
    this one fit well with maybe an inch or so free play on either side. like the megamat, it had a tendency to "taco" when laying in it. this one has a high R value too and it fit well, but i just couldn't get past the taco effect.

REI Co-op Kingdom; Long: 78 x 25 x 2.75 inches; Long: 2 lbs. 9 oz.; https://www.rei.com/product/895083/r...r-sleeping-pad
    similar dimensions to the BaseCamp, but slightly thicker. this pad has horizontal baffles that work really well to prevent any taco effect, and had the flattest lay of all three. it's R value is the lowest, but it's also the lightest of the bunch. i plan to use this one to test out on my deck to see how cold i can go with pad only, no underquilt. if you want a pad to help get a flat lay in your ridgerunner, i suggest looking for a pad that has similar horizontal baffles.
    For the cost of these 3 pads you could have a very very warm and light under quilt

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    For the cost of these 3 pads you could have a very very warm and light under quilt
    Where can i get an underquilt for a bridge hammock for $100? Sign me up!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    it had a tendency to "taco" when laying in it.
    When you say "taco" do you mean like a fold down the entire length? Depending on the user RR's tend to have that somewhat "confining" feel or "shoulder squeeze" to it even with an UQ.
    Have you tried laying in it without a pad for comparison? Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    When you say "taco" do you mean like a fold down the entire length? Depending on the user RR's tend to have that somewhat "confining" feel or "shoulder squeeze" to it even with an UQ.
    Have you tried laying in it without a pad for comparison? Thanks!
    yeah that's what i meant, fold down length-wise. it was much more evident on the foot end, not the shoulder end, when using the two pads i wrote about. the taco effect with the pads was still less than just using the RR without any pads. but it was only the REI pad with horizontal baffles where the taco effect was significantly minimized.

i slept in the ridgerunner with REI pad last night with a 20F hammock gear burrow. temps were between 32 and 27F. it felt comfortable until late morning when the temps got down to 27F. it was bearable in the 32-30F range although i could feel a slight chill in the pad at the lower temps. i wouldn't want to use only this pad if it's lower than 30F.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Yes. I think of the pad as a way to widen the "mattress" of the Ridgerunner, and my underquilt as a way to keep warm. My Hammock Gear Burrow feels "light" on the down (I didn't order extra down; just the standard for 20 degrees); hoping my new Diamondback will fix that issue when it arrives...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast