Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images

MondoKing pad with Ridgerunner?

Anyone have experience with a Thermarest MondoKing pad with a Ridgerunner? It's 4" thick, so I'd assume that a 30" wide would be too thick to fit? Trying to find a good winter pad that'll be good down to 20F.

https://www.thermarest.com/mondoking-3d

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    This looks like overkill. I think the large (25" wide) size would be a better fit in the Ridgerunner.

Although this obviously depends on your use requirements and location, you might consider combining a good underquilt (Lynx) with a smaller/lighter pad (for a wider sleeping surface).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    yeah, i don't think the 30" mondoking would fit either. i measured my ridgerunner, and it's about 29" wide, so a 25"x4" pad would fit better given the thickness.

i may get the mondoking 25" just to try it out but wanted to hear if others had tried and failed/succeeded. if it doesn't work out, my next plan is to use a thinner pad with one of my existing 30F hammockgear underquilt and see how that works out in 20F weather.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I've been using my single layer RR with underquilt for some time now. On Back Friday weekend I ordered a double layer RR which I now have and will be experimenting using some of my sleeping pads I have. I'm primarily interested in using a CCF pad with this set up for mostly mild weather use. My 25" wide CCF pad also fits nicely, unwound, inside my pack as I don't like strapping pads on the outside.

Images
    I bet it's a very warm pad, but being rated 60 degrees below the temp you suggested you'd want to use it in, I'd say it definitely falls into the overkill category.

25" pads fit easily between the RR layers, but I don't believe a 30" would fit without some buckling. I don't believe a 30" x 4" thick would fit period. 25" x 4" thick... Maybe. A pad with an R-value of 3.5 - 4.0 would likely be sufficient to keep you warm at 20F in a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    I believe the ratings for pads are based on ground use. What may work great on the ground may not be enough when hung midair. I have no experience with pads in the ridgerunner though so if the mondoking is overkill then that would be good to know.

Images
    Correct you are about ground use. I was a little conservative, with 4.0 "rated" to 12 degrees on the ground. A pad with R5 should be good to zero on the ground. The Mondoking has R11.4.

I guess I don't have any practical experience with a pad that has such a high rating. But my experience with more typical pads makes me feel like this is a lot more than you'd need. If you're ok with the cost and bulk of a pad like that, why not give it a try? You can be pretty confident you won't be cold. I'm not really sure how the double layer RR will work with a pad so thick though.

Images
    Not to change the subject too much, but for less cost than the Mondoking, you could get a Ridge Creek XL synthetic quilt from AHE. $150 for the 3 season (and additional 9% discount if you bought today) which is rated to 25F. I've used it at that temp with no tarp to block wind and stayed comfortable. You could add in an inexpensive CCF pad and still be under the cost of the Mondoking, and might have a more versatile insulation system for all 3 seasons.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    That's a good idea and something to consider.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    I would not want to use a 4” pad in my RR just from a comfort/stability standpoint. I had good success with the REI Flash insulated reg-wide (25X2.5, R 5.2) down into the 20’s but I picked up an AHE 3 season full length and it’s really no comparison. Warmer and more comfortable. I don’t camp below mid 40’s very often so I didn’t want to splurge on an UQ that was only going to see 10-15 nights a year of use, this really fit the bill perfectly. I had planned to wait a bit but a 15% off sale pulled me in and I’m glad it did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast