Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Optimal tarp suspension for ground and hanging

Hi gang -- I'm planning a long thru-bike (~2800 miles from WA across to MT then down to NM), and will be hanging via my early gen Warbonnet, which will also double up as bivy when I have to go to ground. Would welcome some help thinking through optimal tarp cordage and connections so I can minimize futzing at the end of the day, and not be swapping out tie-outs...would like to keep all cordage on the tarp night to night regardless of sleeping altitude. Tarp is 8x10 DCF that came with line-loks sewn in, and has 'inside' hook-ups for attaching the WB when I'm on ground.

My general thinking...
    • When hanging: CRL 30ft Zing It as main support, 6ft on the tie-outs.
    • When on ground: A-frame/low pitch setup, I'll carry one pole for support, rely on local stick or bike for back support, use 6ft cordage for propping up front that stays on tarp. Will tuck that away when I'm hanging.
    • Ground cover: I'll have a tyvek sheet, it's the light edition, which will be underneath my sleeping pad.
    • Bike as support: this is more for when I go to ground than hanging, I might want to ride a bit after pitching for the night, so not currently integrating into the setup.

Wondering...
    • is 6ft enough on tie-outs when hanging? Thinking I'll be mostly okay, thoughts welcome
    • could I do something smarter with the top tarp lines when hanging? 6' works great for ground and kinda gets in the way when hanging. even if I lengthen that to something big like 12', still not sure it would be long enough for some tree setups to really work. at least it's a built-in line drip when it rains.
    • anyone sort through all this before? I've scanned the discussions here a bunch, didn't see anything pop up. happy to be sherpa'd to the right destination.

Cheers...and happy holidays!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Optimal tarp suspension for ground and hanging

Tarp seems small for hammock camping—I’m not sure it will keep you dry in rainy weather.
    All my tarp side line guy lines are 12 feet. I just have one on each corner. And I carry a roll of zingit in case my lines don’t reach a tree—I usually use vegetation rather than stakes.
    Some hammock campers use 6 foot lines especially on back side of tarp. Sometimes they use a little longer lines on the front side if they are going porch mode.
    I always carry some extra line—just in case the urge to tie a knot strikes
    Try your rig in your back yard or a quick weekend shakedown trip to see what is working for you before going on longer trips.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Try your rig in your back yard or a quick weekend shakedown trip to see what is working for you before going on longer trips.
    ^^^^^^^Only way you're going to know for sure!^^^^^^^^

No way I'd do a long trip without doing this first. Also, I concur that 8x10 doesn't provide enough coverage for the vast majority of hangers, but maybe you've got lots of experience with it and it works for you.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thank you folks! Shakedown trip is on the itinerary, and lucky me lives across the street from a state park that serves as hanging proving ground. Love the 6/12 ft for porch mode on demand idea. I'm in purchase planning mode right now, thinking I should just get a bunch of Zing It and play with different builds to get dialed in.

Aware of the tarp footage length with WB, have about 6" clearance on the ends, I'll make that work. Perhaps impromptu use of the tyvek ground cover as a door when hanging. There's a meaty thread here in this forum on this length topic. Happy to report back on my results of course, as well as trip report for the big one. I'm hoping for a high hang-vs-ground percentage rating!

Images
    Not arguing with the above responses about the 8x10 tarp. But if the tarp could be pitched corner to corner, in a makeshift asym fashion, the ridgeline would be 12'10" and the perpendicular distance from ridgeline to corner would be 6'3". That's not too shabby for coverage on an 11' GE hammock.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Not arguing with the above responses about the 8x10 tarp. But if the tarp could be pitched corner to corner, in a makeshift asym fashion, the ridgeline would be 12'10" and the perpendicular distance from ridgeline to corner would be 6'3". That's not too shabby for coverage on an 11' GE hammock.
    My thoughts also -asym hang it. 6ft should be more than enough on tieouts.

Good thunkin', I'll add an asym pitch to the build list.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Not sure why they think your tarp is inadequate. 8x10 is fine on a 10’ hammock. General wisdom is that tarp ridge length=hammock length. It allows you to snug the hammock up tighter to the ridge of the tarp I n case of bad weather. 8’ width is skimpy in current hammock thinking, but many people get away with warbonnet edge, or similar tarps that are a little under 8’ wide.

6’ guy lines can be long enough. Mine are 8’, and I only ever have them fully extended for porch mode. I might make your ridgeline a little longer though, depending on how big the trees are that you may end up hanging on.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    No worries, HYOH and all that, but test in worst-case conditions, wind+rain+cold.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Not sure why they think your tarp is inadequate. 8x10 is fine on a 10’ hammock. General wisdom is that tarp ridge length=hammock length. It allows you to snug the hammock up tighter to the ridge of the tarp I n case of bad weather. 8’ width is skimpy in current hammock thinking, but many people get away with warbonnet edge, or similar tarps that are a little under 8’ wide.

6’ guy lines can be long enough. Mine are 8’, and I only ever have them fully extended for porch mode. I might make your ridgeline a little longer though, depending on how big the trees are that you may end up hanging on.
    Oops, I was thinking it’s an 11 foot hammock and forgot to think it could be a 10 foot hammock. And asymmetrical pitches, diamond pitches, and low to hammock pitches can work in a pinch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast