Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I've even gotten by numerous times using a square 10x10 tarp with an 11' hammock. Tarp pitched as an A-frame, not a diamond. Some posts I have at home are about 10'9" apart, so an 11' tarp is no-go.

SRL on a 11' hammock is ~110" and the square tarp RL is 120". Tarp pitched basically right on top of the hammock SRL. Theoretical 5" overhang of the tarp beyond the hammock on both ends, but in practice, maybe a smidge less. CL's of hammock stick out beyond the tarp, so driplines are essential.

I've not been through a monsoon with this setup, but have weathered a few fairly heavy, all-night storms and stayed totally dry. Sideways rain coming in at the ends would of course be the most likely failure mode, but pitched carefully and very low to the hammock, minimal tarps can keep you dry.

Let me acquire some framing supplies and I'll report back.

Timeline here is summer next year, along the continental divide, heading SOBO. Expect high altitude weather conditions...lots of sun, periodic summer afternoon squalls with cracks of lightning that makes the ground shudder. Should be fun.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    And because its "square", there's more protection on the ends than a 10' hex. Might even be able to bring in the corners as doors, but probably not all the way. Personally, I'm a porch mode 24/7 guy, so I'd likely set that one up in lean-to fashion. The 4' each sides aren't going to do much for wind protection in std setup, so I'd either go with said lean-to mode or get a sock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

My tarp is 8x10, not square. No matter, I'll sort it out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toast Sensei View Post
    My tarp is 8x10, not square. No matter, I'll sort it out.
    I think he just meant perpendicular edges, rather than hex-shaped and cat-cut.

doh.

Where is that palmface smiley when I need it?

I use a Warbonnet Cloudburst tarp (11x10) and have the detachable doors. I have 12' of zing it on each end of the ridgeline with a tarp flyz on each one. 6' of zing-it on each corner tie-out, 6' of zing-it on the center pull outs (two extra 12' hanks of zing-it for side tie outs when in the hammock stored in the stake bag) . Each corner tie-out has a tarp worm attached to 8" of shock cord and the zing stays threaded through those. All this stays on the tarp all the time. I use a gathered end 11' hammock. When I go to the ground, I stick my treking poles tip up in the split rings on the ends of the ridge line. I use the attached zing it and adjust the tarp flyz to stake it shorter than hammock mode. Works awesome and only the tarp flyz need to be adjusted. Two people can easily use it on the ground with tyvek sheets.

Cool pix or it didn't happen

Five months pass...framing gear acquired, shakedown done, pictures taken...

I'm back with results and photos. Thank you everyone for chiming in and sharing.

Refresher: I'm thru-biking the GDMBR this summer, hoping for 70/30 hang/ground ratio, using 8x10 tarp for both scenarios.
    • Biking also means I don't have hiking poles for tarp ground setup. So I got the zpacks carbon poles for ground support. They're light, and pack down well.
    • I have an older WBBB, which I converted to whoopie slings over the straps. It will also serve as bivy when grounded.
    • I played with both over & under ridgeline setup for the tarp, as you'll see in pictures below, and discovered it really doesn't matter either way. I generally throw a tarp over the ridgeline as habit, will probably continue this.
    • This was also my first experience playing with a DCF tarp...wow it captures the wind fast (not surprising given it's history), got some practice setting up in the wind during shakedown, need to think ahead.

Discovered a few things about the tarp that I was puzzling over when I first started this thread...
    • 8x10 tarps really do have so many configuration options available, that you basically need to understand your go-to setups before optimizing and exploring options. This particular tarp has 10 pull outs with line locks, another two pull outs on each side, and two more up top. So...many...options. And seems like the default cord provided is for ground, so I had to sort through what's needed for hanging and what I needed to work with the tarp poles and grounded storm mode. So...many...options.
    • About the 8x10 size...it's going to fine. When hanging...I have 6in clearance on both ends in straight A frame mode, and a foot on each end when deployed asym. Love the asym pitch actually. The tarp comes down nice and tight, and I'll have plenty of coverage for typical drizzle and rain outside of a sideways wind with torrential rain. Yeah, it's not an 11ft tarp with storm doors, NBD. The 8x10 size is absolutely palatial when on the ground, even in storm mode.
    • There are a bunch more setups I played with when grounded, but, well, this is a hammock forum, so I'll spare groans from the audience and not go deep there. The TLDR edition: the 'A frame' setup works best when using the hammock as a bivy because I can easily latch both ends with support, as well as tie into pull outs on the other side of the tarp of the tarp. When using other setup variations, I need to move or add cord on different line locks and futz around to get everything taut.

On with the visuals...

Typical setup, tarp over ridgeline

Typical setup, tarp under ridgeline

Under clearance during typical pitch

Asym tarp setup, tarp under ridgeline

Asym setup, view of bottom clearance. Also discovered I get another inch or two when laying in the hammock and create the sag

'A-frame' set up on ground. Plenty of room for two underneath.

Happy to chat more, answer questions, entertain suggestions, ignore naysayers, etc.

Cool Post trip highlights

Three months and 2800 miles later...I'm back from the trail with a few highlights...

• Love my WBBB...super comfy when hanging, and yet not so much as a bug bivvy when grounded. While I was definitely glad to have a hammock at all, the shelf cords and no-see-em netting aren't so comfortable when on the ground. If I had the option, I would have swapped the hammock for a real bivvy in southern CO and New Mexico.
    • The underquilt was a bit of a pain to have around, think I would go for sleeping pad as insulation method next time around. Certainly love the UQ for hanging insulation, but it's just smaller than a football when packed down, took up precious packing space, and only served one purpose. Since I had to carry a sleeping pad anyway, think I would just leave it at home next big trip.
    • The 8x10 DCF tarp worked out great...protection was fine when hanging in steady rain with some wind, and I added drip protection on both ends to prevent water coming down into the sleeping area. And of course the 8x10 size is palatial when on the ground, gave me room to put my gear a rain cloud would pop up and I didn't want everything to get wet.
    • But the 8x10 size also had drawbacks, particularly when wet -- it's a bear to fold and minimize dirt accumulation when wet. And if it's windy out...the Great Divide Basin hit gusts up to 30mph one night...just mount yourself upwind and hope for the best. DCF is fantastic sail material, oh, right, it is used on sailboats.
    • My established folding tarp routine: fold in quarters lengthwise, then roll it up tight for strapping on my front harness. I kept the lines on to minimize setup/break down futzing.

A few pix...

Hanging in the city park shelter. Lima MT

Upper Red Rock Lake MT. So many skeeters.

Tarp is tucked up front in the harness. The dry bag underneath it holds the WBBB and sleeping pad.

My favorite hang of the trip...Del Norte CO.

By coincidence...big thunderstorms rolled through both times I used city park shelters. Love the big protection.

Feel free to holler with questions or commentary...thank you everyone for chiming in earlier and helping plot out the approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Toast Sensei View Post
    Five months pass...framing gear acquired, shakedown done, pictures taken...

I'm back with results and photos. Thank you everyone for chiming in and sharing.

Refresher: I'm thru-biking the GDMBR this summer, hoping for 70/30 hang/ground ratio, using 8x10 tarp for both scenarios.
    • Biking also means I don't have hiking poles for tarp ground setup. So I got the zpacks carbon poles for ground support. They're light, and pack down well.
    • I have an older WBBB, which I converted to whoopie slings over the straps. It will also serve as bivy when grounded.
    • I played with both over & under ridgeline setup for the tarp, as you'll see in pictures below, and discovered it really doesn't matter either way. I generally throw a tarp over the ridgeline as habit, will probably continue this.
    • This was also my first experience playing with a DCF tarp...wow it captures the wind fast (not surprising given it's history), got some practice setting up in the wind during shakedown, need to think ahead.

Discovered a few things about the tarp that I was puzzling over when I first started this thread...
    • 8x10 tarps really do have so many configuration options available, that you basically need to understand your go-to setups before optimizing and exploring options. This particular tarp has 10 pull outs with line locks, another two pull outs on each side, and two more up top. So...many...options. And seems like the default cord provided is for ground, so I had to sort through what's needed for hanging and what I needed to work with the tarp poles and grounded storm mode. So...many...options.
    • About the 8x10 size...it's going to fine. When hanging...I have 6in clearance on both ends in straight A frame mode, and a foot on each end when deployed asym. Love the asym pitch actually. The tarp comes down nice and tight, and I'll have plenty of coverage for typical drizzle and rain outside of a sideways wind with torrential rain. Yeah, it's not an 11ft tarp with storm doors, NBD. The 8x10 size is absolutely palatial when on the ground, even in storm mode.
    • There are a bunch more setups I played with when grounded, but, well, this is a hammock forum, so I'll spare groans from the audience and not go deep there. The TLDR edition: the 'A frame' setup works best when using the hammock as a bivy because I can easily latch both ends with support, as well as tie into pull outs on the other side of the tarp of the tarp. When using other setup variations, I need to move or add cord on different line locks and futz around to get everything taut.

On with the visuals...

Typical setup, tarp over ridgeline

Typical setup, tarp under ridgeline

Under clearance during typical pitch

Asym tarp setup, tarp under ridgeline

Asym setup, view of bottom clearance. Also discovered I get another inch or two when laying in the hammock and create the sag

'A-frame' set up on ground. Plenty of room for two underneath.

Happy to chat more, answer questions, entertain suggestions, ignore naysayers, etc.
    Thanks for this awesome info! Quick question: how long is your WBBB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12