Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    1.75mm Zingit is quite a bit stronger than what is needed for guy lines and likely stronger than needed for tarp ridge lines of any fashion. In my experience it is fine for fixed, ucr or whoopie style adjustable hammock ridge lines (two of hammocks have zingit ridge lines. the third has Jerry Brown Hollow Core Spectra..just an experiment) and it's fine for most of the around camp needs you'll come across. It's very easy to splice but also takes wonderfully to a handful of knots and hitches. Most of the tensioning hardware, like Wasp, Fleas, Line-Locs and mini-ucrs etc work with zingit.. So.. it's an all-around winner and super versatile. Never used the heavier Zing-it.

Dynaglide.. I love working with it. I've used it for structural ridge lines (overkill IMHO), and have a full ucr suspension that is 99% Dynaglide, but i wouldn't choose it for guy lines of any kind and it's a bit fat for many of the tensioning hardware pieces (not 100% sure on that as I am almost hardware free). I have made mini-ucrs with great results. That said, it can be tricky to splice given the additional strands. I love the stuff, but it's a limited use item for me.

For as much as I love to splice and both of the above are very useful, I have switched to Z-Packs Z-Line for all of my guy lines, Atwood Micro Cord for all miscellaneous needs and Lawson Glowire for when the bear bag gets heavy. I still carry the Dynaglide ucrs as backup for long hangs. I use Zingit for regular bear bags needs and have two zingit dog bones in my suspension kit. Other than on the end of the Dynaglide ucr and a soft shackle on the shoulder strap of each pack, there is no Amsteel left on my kit.

My first suspension was a set of Amsteel whoopies.. I used them a handful of times and though I still have them, I don't use them at all. It's a sentimental thing I suppose.
    Why do you like working with dynaglide so much? More than Amsteel?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    Simply put, I wouldnt.
    If I had to to choose 2, zingit/lashit/dynaglide, take your pick. And amsteel.

I'd never use amsteel for guy lines and I'd never use lash-it for suspensions.
    If I can only have 1 "fancy" rope, its amsteel. Guy lines and ridgelines can be made with cheaper things.
    Simply put I agree. I'm going to contradict myself below, however, if cost wasn't a factor yes I would use amsteel for everything.

If you are a light individual I highly recommend looking into 2.2 mm lash-it. if you factor in a 5 x safety rating this stuff has about a 300-pound breaking point depending on your application. This cordage could be used completely for everything suspension guidelines you name it. It's just as spliceable and workable as Amsteel but due to its diminished size is lighter. Expense Wise It's far cheaper as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

eBay has a 15% off coupon for anything Sunday. I can get 200 feet of dynaglode for 30 bucks or 150 feet for like 25
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Simply put I agree. I'm going to contradict myself below, however, if cost wasn't a factor yes I would use amsteel for everything.

If you are a light individual I highly recommend looking into 2.2 mm lash-it. if you factor in a 5 x safety rating this stuff has about a 300-pound breaking point depending on your application. This cordage could be used completely for everything suspension guidelines you name it. It's just as spliceable and workable as Amsteel but due to its diminished size is lighter. Expense Wise It's far cheaper as well.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spencereyring View Post
    Why do you like working with dynaglide so much? More than Amsteel?
    Not sure.. Maybe it's the size relative to my hands? Amsteel is simple to work with. So is Zingit. Dynaglide is a bit more challenging.

My favorite splicing project has been the the UL Dynaglide/Amsteel UCR's.

Click pic for more...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

That looks great, is it difficult because of the extra strands?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Not sure.. Maybe it's the size relative to my hands? Amsteel is simple to work with. So is Zingit. Dynaglide is a bit more challenging.

My favorite splicing project has been the the UL Dynaglide/Amsteel UCR's.

Click pic for more...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    eBay has a 15% off coupon for anything Sunday. I can get 200 feet of dynaglode for 30 bucks or 150 feet for like 25

DynaGlide is strong and ok if you don't plan on splicing. Don't get me wrong, you can splice it but not as easy or efficiently as dyneema (amsteel and lash-it). Dyneema is 8 strand and DynaGlide is 12. And 12 strands of 1.75mm is hard to work and snags/frays way easier than Dyneema

Last edited by GilligansWorld; 12-12-2018 at 20:44. Reason: Miss quote
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Take a peek - blue is 7/64 amsteel yellow is 1.8mm Dynaglide

Last edited by GilligansWorld; 12-12-2018 at 17:02. Reason: No pic

Wow, that's small stuff. I like how strong it is but being hard to work with might kill the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Take a peek - blue is 7/64 amsteel yellow is 1.8mm Dynaglide

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    It's not impossible to work with, just a bit more tedious than the other options. Dynaglide is very stiff. It helps to flex it a bit and it is really important to loosen the strands before you splice into to. The only time I have a problem is when I don't compress & expand the cordage fibers fully before pulling a bury.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Having spliced many miles of each over the last ten year, I personally love to work with Dynaglide. It takes practice to get the feel of working with it but I would pick it to splice over any of the others if I get to pick. Amsteel is pretty easy but on recent spools, they have changed the weave pattern and it's driving me a bit nuts to get the feel right. The smaller Lash/zing it's are a bit of work but the 2.2mm size is not too hard. But it's all about doing enough of it to get the right feel in splicing with the various lines.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast