Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    How do you attach it without splicing the ends to make loops?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yes, it's also cheap and light! 500 lb rating for a 1.75mm cord is darn good. I've used 100 lb cord (Atwood micro, 1.18mm) in 40-50mph winds with no problem.

I'm a "knot-head" so I use different cords (Lawson, Atwood) that hold friction knots/hitches such as Prusik, Midshipman's, etc...
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    You can knot the ends like any other rope. It's just not as pretty and is technically weaker but still plenty strong for our applications.

Zingit/Lashit 1.75mm is fine but 2.2 is easier to handle, make knots and works better with line locks.
    Amsteel 7/64 is the standard for suspension unless your a heavier fellow, then 1/8 might give peace of mind.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spencereyring View Post
    How do you attach it without splicing the ends to make loops?
    Believe it or not, a simple overhand will do nicely most of the time, and a Figure-8 if you're a bit paranoid. Doesn't look as cool/neat as a splice, but totally effective.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Here is our primer on hammock rope/cord/webbing and so forth that may help to clear up what each type of material works well for. https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...e-dope-on-rope

Just like most everything in life, there are some things that can work for multiple applications but usually, there is one that works best for a particular job and while functional for another it's not the most ideal. Any old steak knife can cut meat but a surgeon chooses a scalpel and a but you would look funny sitting at the steakhouse with one. There is a good deal of overlap in both knifes functionality but each tool has its own purpose.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

You guys are the best thank you

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spencereyring View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses they are very helpful. One thing I'm trying to figure out is why everyone likes zing-it/lash-it so much. It's pretty weak, is it far lighter than the others? Also is it sufficient for structural Ridgeline on whoopie fashion?

1.75mm Zingit is quite a bit stronger than what is needed for guy lines and likely stronger than needed for tarp ridge lines of any fashion. In my experience it is fine for fixed, ucr or whoopie style adjustable hammock ridge lines (two of hammocks have zingit ridge lines. the third has Jerry Brown Hollow Core Spectra..just an experiment) and it's fine for most of the around camp needs you'll come across. It's very easy to splice but also takes wonderfully to a handful of knots and hitches. Most of the tensioning hardware, like Wasp, Fleas, Line-Locs and mini-ucrs etc work with zingit.. So.. it's an all-around winner and super versatile. Never used the heavier Zing-it.

Dynaglide.. I love working with it. I've used it for structural ridge lines (overkill IMHO), and have a full ucr suspension that is 99% Dynaglide, but i wouldn't choose it for guy lines of any kind and it's a bit fat for many of the tensioning hardware pieces (not 100% sure on that as I am almost hardware free). I have made mini-ucrs with great results. That said, it can be tricky to splice given the additional strands. I love the stuff, but it's a limited use item for me.

For as much as I love to splice and both of the above are very useful, I have switched to Z-Packs Z-Line for all of my guy lines, Atwood Micro Cord for all miscellaneous needs and Lawson Glowire for when the bear bag gets heavy. I still carry the Dynaglide ucrs as backup for long hangs. I use Zingit for regular bear bags needs and have two zingit dog bones in my suspension kit. Other than on the end of the Dynaglide ucr and a soft shackle on the shoulder strap of each pack, there is no Amsteel left on my kit.

My first suspension was a set of Amsteel whoopies.. I used them a handful of times and though I still have them, I don't use them at all. It's a sentimental thing I suppose.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Believe it or not, a simple overhand will do nicely most of the time, and a Figure-8 if you're a bit paranoid. Doesn't look as cool/neat as a splice, but totally effective.

We'll get you splicing at some point!!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    We'll get you splicing at some point!!
    I know, that is a horrible gap in my knowledge base... why do I feel I'm about to fall into another rabbit hole?

I spliced some stuff and it's actually super easy. It's all very simple and it comes out looks my awesome
    Last edited by spencereyring; 12-12-2018 at 15:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast