Warbonnet Ridgerunner treking pole idea

I've done my best to search and see if this has been suggested/tried before: all the threads i've found are rather old (2013-2014 or so) so I felt it was appropriate to start a new one.

Has anyone tried to use trekking poles for spreader bars by removing the top section entirely and putting a centering pin/plug in the open end of the middle section. I understand this would not work with the twist locks but the flip locks may work...(black diamond is very proud of how much weight their flip locks will hold)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes.
    From Warbonnet:

Each set comes with 4 tips, enough for 2 hiking poles. These can be used to adapt certain kinds of hiking poles so they can be used in place of the spreader bars on the Ridgerunner hammock, for the hiking pole to work it needs to be a camera mount style pole, meaning that the handle screws off exposing a 1/4″ camera mount bolt, one tip will screw onto that bolt, the other tip just slides over the carbide tip at the other end of the pole. The Hiking poles also need to have straight handles so that the tips are diectly in line with the middle of the pole (not off-centered) you may also need to insert a short 1/4″ wooden dowel from the hardware store (often around 12″ depending on the hiking pole) into the head end pole to give it extra support (to keep it from shortening under your weight), this dowel is easily removeable and weighs less than an ounce.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Yeah I read about the camera mount mod...it's not what I'm getting at. I don't want to give up the wonder of leki style grips, rather something to insert into the lower two sections of a 3 section pole....just pull off the upper section that has the grip and stow it. (Convienently I'm at REI and can grab a photo of what I'm talking about....)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I see what your saying, might be worth looking into making something if I was keeping my RR, but sadly it will be up for sale soon or returned to WB

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Are you simply trying to save weight? If so you should look into the carbon fiber poles. I use my hiking poles in porch mode so I just keep using the stock spreader bars.

The weight savings is an appeal; even over carbon fiber it saves the weight of the poles. I could see other reasons as well: some of the appeal for me is the novelty; "hey guys check this out", some of it is the mental exercise of thinking out of the box. Some of it is the concept of an integrated system; remember dutch's bridge skin? ...I could also see others modding a set of poles as a backup system.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I forgot to pack the spreader poles for The Terminators RR a few years back. Had some Wallyworld hiking poles and used them. Stuck the metal tip on the bottom of the pole thru the hole on one side of the hammock and then shorten the hiking poles to the proper length and larks head the hand strap around the other side ( sorry, no pictures ). Worked just fine.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts