Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

How do I put an Amsteel eye (not a hitch) on a ring - with just one end available?

I suppose if I thunk hard enough I could figure out if this was even possible or not; topology of a single line and all.

Is it possible to put one end of a line through the hole in the Dutch Hook and so that it is on an "eye" with a locked brummel?

I was so happy to finally learn how to put a eye on the end of Amsteel without access to the other end (note: there are several youtube examples, some much less complicated than others); the one technique I'd been putting off learning. Note: almost worth it - especially if you are going to show others - to buy about 4 or 5 ft of around ¾ inch Amsteel. I made a "knitting needle" out of a ¼ inch wooden dowel. Much easier to learn/show those weaves with the larger line and you can undo the weave more easily for repeat action.

But what if I want to have something in that eye (maybe this is were the more complicated youtube methods come in). For example, lets say I want to have a Dutch Hook woven on each end of the Amsteel. I see how I could have the line go through the hole in the Dutch Hook on one end and have a plain loop on the other that I could hitch through the hole in the other hook. But that's not the same as having the eye on each end woven though the hole in the hook.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think Amsteel 7/64 is going to work with a Dutch Hook - it's designed for Zing-It 1.75 mm.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sure, just make your eye with an appropriately sized bury, then lock stitch it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    For example, lets say I want to have a Dutch Hook woven on each end of the Amsteel. I see how I could have the line go through the hole in the Dutch Hook on one end and have a plain loop on the other that I could hitch through the hole in the other hook. But that's not the same as having the eye on each end woven though the hole in the hook.
    As SilvrSurfr said, you won't be able to thread 7/64" AmSteel through the eye of a Dutch Hook, but I assume that you meant 1.75mm Lash-it / Zing-It. This should be possible. Splicing a dog bone always means that you need to make the opening of the second pass on the second eye larger, because you need to pass the finished eye through the line. If there's a Dutch Hook spliced into the first eye, you simply need to make the opening even larger. If the hook catches on the strands, maybe try taping it off for the pass through.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Found this on youtube:
    https://youtu.be/4WW7Qvg3VjI

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    Found this on youtube:
    I didn't know this method, thanks for posting!

However, in this case it doesn't make things easier, unfortunately, because there are hooks on both ends. No matter which way you do it, you'll have to get a hook through the opening in the line.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thank you for your replies - I'm sorry I wasn't clear that I was just using a Dutch Hook as an example of something I wanted the eye splice to go through. I was going to use a generic "ring" but thought I'd give Dutch's name more time in "print". So I'm NOT trying to put 7/64th Amsteel on a Dutch Hook. I'm trying to put an eye slice at each end of a line (any size AmSteel, LashIt, etc.) and have each eye go though some object.

The video wbJohn gave the link to is the simple method (compared to others I've seen on YouTube) for putting an eye at the end of a line when you only have access to one end - got that. My goal was to run that eye through something and still only use one line - if that's possible at all.

I do understand a stitched lock but I wanted to use a Brummel. I know the traditional way passed the first loop/eye, and whatever is attached to it, through the split Amsteel for the brummel on the second eye. I figured a Dutch Hook would be large enough to indicate that second pass through on the other end of the line wouldn't be possible. So let's say it it's a 1.75 inch ring. I've put one 1.75 inch ring "on" the eye at one end and I want to put the same size ring on the eye at the other end. My question is - is that even possible. I know I can do it by making a second larger loop and larks Heading it to the ring. And I could do it by just burying the tail and stitching it.

But that's not the same as putting the ring "in" the eye that is brummel locked - which was my goal. But I don't think it's possible unless both the first loop and what's on the eye can go though the middle of the Amsteel at the other end.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I believe the method in the video would work with dynaglide and a dutch hook sized object... but anything much larger than that and I don't think you could pass it through.
    Even a mini descender ring is probably too big to pass back.

You can do a semi-brummel (not truly locked) by pulling through from one side, then pulling back through a few threads later. Basically an 'S' shaped bury.
    You still have to lock stitch it but there isn't as much load on the stitching at least. I've found with a #18 needle I can stitch with my sewing machine easily enough to make it less of a pain.

Best I can think of beyond doing a dog bone with oversized eyes so you could girth hitch it over the ring.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    Found this on youtube:

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I have used this one and wondered about getting something through the opening when creating the loop.
    I did find another similar method. Same steps but in a different order.

This goes to understanding the end product (knot/splice) enough to finding creative ways to get that result.
    Then I started thinking how this problem is like one of these puzzels...
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    There has to be a way to do it.. It's done for sailboat rigging. I would go to Premium Ropes website and dig around.. or email them.

Short of that, I've got nothing else. Sorry..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast