Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grindle View Post
    I've been trying to decide on frameless vs framed backpacks - but am not sure I can get light enough to go frameless. Do you know how heavy your fully loaded SWD 35 was when you were doing the LT trail? And was it comfortable after a few days? Thanks
    Yeah, I was hesitant to go frameless, but it handled 22lbs (11.7 base & 10.4 consumables) wonderfully. I did some of the old-school stuff to pack it. I had one of those egg-crate looking, high-density foam sit pads that I cut to fit vertically against the back of the pack. I put a Nylofume 20 x 37" Pack Liner bag in, stuffed in my quilts, clothes and electronics. Rolled it down tight, then put my food bag in vertically right against my back. Put everything else in around the food bag. During breaks I'd open my pack and dive right into my food bag.

So, I suspect the way I pack it helped the transfer of weight from my shoulders to my hipbelt. I was out 6 days between one resupply, and it was the most comfortable bag I've carried. I'm sure the fact that it's a custom pack, and the hip belt went on right where it needed to be, instead of a S/M/L choice, had a lot to do with the comfort level. My lighter pack link below has that load.

Good Luck!
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    There are some pretty light framed packs available, even reasonably priced ones. Mine weighs 2 pounds which is a good compromise to me for comfort when I need to take more stuff. But I don’t do a lot of miles per day - 10 would be a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by grindle View Post
    I've been trying to decide on frameless vs framed backpacks - but am not sure I can get light enough to go frameless. Do you know how heavy your fully loaded SWD 35 was when you were doing the LT trail? And was it comfortable after a few days? Thanks
    In my experience, frameless packs can handle a lot more weight than people think if packed properly. I have a 58L frameless pack that I use for winter mountaineering, & between crampons, warm clothes, & other mountaineering essentials, I've pushed 40lbs. As long as I pack properly, I've never felt it was uncomfortable in a way that would be resolved by a frame. Heavies go at the bottom, sit pad or 1/8" foam pad go on the back, & everything MUST be packed tightly & evenly so the equipment itself creates rigidity within the pack.

I personally enjoy packing thoughtfully like this, but if one were to just throw everything in haphazardly, I think a 20-25lb limit is closer to accurate.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drtolo View Post
    In my experience, frameless packs can handle a lot more weight than people think if packed properly. I have a 58L frameless pack that I use for winter mountaineering, & between crampons, warm clothes, & other mountaineering essentials, I've pushed 40lbs. As long as I pack properly, I've never felt it was uncomfortable in a way that would be resolved by a frame. Heavies go at the bottom, sit pad or 1/8" foam pad go on the back, & everything MUST be packed tightly & evenly so the equipment itself creates rigidity within the pack.

I personally enjoy packing thoughtfully like this, but if one were to just throw everything in haphazardly, I think a 20-25lb limit is closer to accurate.
    I would agree here.

Letting the contents create the needed rigidity is a good solution. Over time I am finding I make good use of multiple frameless packs to be able to match the contents and size. A floppy underfilled frameless is the kiss of death.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345