Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thank you all for the great information! I think I’m going to change my order to the wide just to have the extra and not have the “I wish I would have” syndrome

What about the zipper vs sewed option? I ordered the zipper thinking I could open it up if I wanted, but do you think sewed is better for ease and comfort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I got Wide for my second 20 degree Burrow and it is a nice luxury. We have to admit that those who use a sleeping bag - though a little bit more difficult to manage (as a sleeping bag, not a top quilt) do have more coverage around them. The snap closure at the head end of the Top Quilt helps, but when I tuck the sides in on the Wide - I'm really snuggled in. Plus, if I needed to go to ground, it's easier to stay covered. A lot of "good" for very little extra bulk/weight.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    UCR/Straps
    Concerning the zippered or sewn foot box question, if you survey similar questions and responses on the Forum I believe you'll find a general preference for sewn (esp. at or below the 20-degree mark). Below are a few examples:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-Snaps-Zipper
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-degree-quilts
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ewn-and-strung

I have a strong preference for a sewn foot box in a quilt rated 40 or below. In my experience, sewn is warmer in lower temps, with no significant disadvantages in higher temps (i.e. it covers a wider range comfortably). It's easy to vent feet that get too warm by removing one or both feet from the box and giving them air to breathe. If you are a bit shorter than the maximum length of your top quilt (as I am), another option is to use as much or as little of the foot box as your feet need. That is, you can stick your feet all the way inside, partially inside, or leave them mostly outside the box but still under the quilt.

It's good to know how you sleep (i.e. warm, cold, or in between), and which body parts get warmest/coldest. Since my feet often get cool in a normal bed, mine are pampered with the extra warmth of a sewn foot box.
    Last edited by kayakAR; 12-09-2018 at 17:09.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Both my 20* and 0* are wide with sewn footboxes, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My summer quilts, on the other hand, are regular width and drawstring footbox. Your preference can be based on many factors, not just weight or girth.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey, I'm 5'6" and I used to be ~215 (coughs harder). I have both wide and regular quilts. The wide I like because I'm a side sleeper, but I don't have any issues with a regular. I prefer the wides in lower temps and regular in higher temps. Hope that helps

I had a standard width Burrow, now I own a wide Burrow. The reason for the switch is that sometimes I tuck my legs up in a side sleeping position, first on one side then later to the other side. Keeping my knees and my back insulated is doable with the standard width Burrow for me. But the wide width allows sleeping this way with much less fiddle factor each time that I flip to the other side.

I used to believe that a narrow sleeping bag was necessary to keep my pack weight down. I continued with this thought even after switching to quilts over 10 years ago. I am finally realizing the weight penalty for a wider quilt is quite alright for me. This reflects an overall shift towards greater comfort, no longer needing or hoping for SUL. OTOH. if you don't toss and turn with your legs tucked up, you might as well enjoy the weight saving that a standard width gives you!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm not built wide and also prefer wide top insulation, too. I sold my first standard width top quilt because I couldn't tuck it in enough to prevent gaps. I sleep cold, though.

Thanks for all the great information! My order hasn’t been fulfilled yet, so I’ll be changing my order today. Since I only see myself getting one serious top quilt, (I made a DYI Costco for cool to warm weather) I’ll opt for the wide and go with sewed foot box. Thanks again to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    DutchWare Beetle
    I'm with Othello on this one. 30* or below go with the sewn foot box. I hate getting the arctic blast sucked in from the foot box when I adjust my quilt. Above 30* being able to unzip it adds versatility. Also, if you're only using it in a hammock, go for the regular. Any chance you're going to ground, I recommend the wide. It doesn't add much weight but makes it easier to keep tucked in.

Hammock
    DD Frontline MC
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 MC
    Insulation
    DD underblanket
    Suspension
    Paracord
    Hi all! Are there alternative burrows/pods from the hammockgear options? Maybe how to make one myself? Or how to repurpose a sleeping bag?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast