Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Another vote for the Accurite. I got mine several years ago at Walmart and use it all the time.

Attachment 170688
    Same. I wouldn't leave my phone on all the time, need to keep as much battery as possible.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    I use a system called Sensor Push - there's little tiles that you can buy off of Amazon that have an app that ties to your phone or you can monitor the tiles. $50 - has humidity tracks the data exports the data that's pretty nifty.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...d-361736866077

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I have this one also. Temp range is -40F - 140F.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I was going to suggest a digital model I bought at Ace hardware for $8.00 - has a sensor wire that goes outside the hammock. I don't care how cold it is in the hammock - I know that already; if I'm cold or not is all that counts for me there. What I'm interested in the the temperature outside the hammock/tarp. Because that tells me how well my setup is working given a specific outside temperature. The TV weather person might say it's going to be 15 degrees outside but it might be more or less at my "outside" location. It's the temperature around me, outside the tarp, that I'm interested in. With the unit above, I can keep the display in the hammock and run the sensor outside the tarp.

BUT - had I known about the wireless solution Snug mentioned, I might have paid the additional $12 andt bought it. I have used similar wireless products in the past - for the house. I found the batteries don't do so well when asked to work in below freezing temperatures. But for hammock camping, especially in the winter, I'm guessing they would have such limited use that battery life wouldn't be a problem.

A related note is there are a lot of outlets for inexpensive red mini-lites. The red light allows you to view the display without interfering with your night vision.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-08-2018 at 19:15.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC v2
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB / HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    I like the wireless Acurite models that keep tabs on 24 hr hi/lo too. I use the low overnight readings to count frost points for our scouts.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
    – John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I have this one also. Temp range is -40F - 140F.
    What do you think of your sensorpush?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

just order the acurite, looks about perfect for what I need and under $10

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    What do you think of your sensorpush?

I like it. It's small, 1.5oz, can hang from a ridgeline by adding a loop of cord. Battery life is good, too. Around the house I've used to to check the temp/humidity of the fridge and freezer, comparing to readings to the setpoints on the fridge controls. We have a baby on the way, so I'll probably use it to monitor the temp in the baby's room.

That last use case has me thinking about adding the WiFi module to monitor the temp when outside the Bluetooth range and give alerts if the temp is outside of limits that can be set.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 12-08-2018 at 14:30.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I like it. It's small, 1.5oz, can hang from a ridgeline by adding a loop of cord... Around the house I've used to to check the temp/humidity of the fridge and freezer, comparing to readings to the setpoints on the fridge controls. We have a baby on the way, so I'll probably use it to monitor the temp in the baby's room.

That last use case has me thinking about adding the WiFi module to give alerts if the temp is outside of limits that can be set.
    Yeah I was looking at some of those. If you end up pulling the trigger on that I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on that.

I've used it professionally in a restaurant setting to monitor a faulty walk-in refrigerator before but that's about the extent of it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Images
    Good thinking. The WiFi gateway would allow you to keep tabs on that walk-in from home, assuming there is WiFi at the restaurant. I'll let you know if I end up getting one. Might be a good use of some Xmas gift cards.

Images
    I also BBQ and have some Thermoworks thermometers from when I was just starting and was more obsessed about pit and meat temps. I trust Thermoworks units very much, and have used those to check the accuracy of the SensorPush. I found it to be accurate, definitely within the accuracy in its published specs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast