banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by tsshaw78 View Post
    Has anyone tried tying a Miller's knot with shock cord to the corners of a sleeping bag to make an adhoc UQ? I don't want to modify my bag if I can help it.
    Not that specific knot, but the principle is totally sound: make a gathered-end hammock of your generic quilt/blanket/sleeping bag, and simply hang it with shock cord under your actual hammock.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Not that specific knot, but the principle is totally sound: make a gathered-end hammock of your generic quilt/blanket/sleeping bag, and simply hang it with shock cord under your actual hammock.
    Did a test hang last night, it got down to about 40F so not terribly cold. But for the weight of the sleeping bag, it didn't perform as well as a sleeping pad or two under me. I think the issue is I didn't get it snugged up close enough to the hammock and it had too much air gap (see attached image).
    For now, I'll stick with the sleeping pads since they are smaller and lighter than that old bag.
    IMG_20190105_130657.jpg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tsshaw78 View Post
    Did a test hang last night, it got down to about 40F so not terribly cold. But for the weight of the sleeping bag, it didn't perform as well as a sleeping pad or two under me. I think the issue is I didn't get it snugged up close enough to the hammock and it had too much air gap (see attached image).
    For now, I'll stick with the sleeping pads since they are smaller and lighter than that old bag.
    IMG_20190105_130657.jpg
    You will need to get that bag right up against your body to be effective. Once you get it you'll know for sure.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    New hanger here. I have convinced myself I am going to love it, so I have planned out my purchases, gotten started and jumped right in.

I am getting a Trail Lair in 1.6W and a UQP. I will use that to hang indoors on my Turtledog stand through the rest of the winter to practice with the different variations and equipment and build up my gear. The very next thing on my list is a good UQ. I've been talking with the vendors and getting my questions answered and getting ready to order that but as you know dpending on who I end up ordering from it could take a while for it to arrive.

What I have been trying to find, unsuccessfully, is if there is a reasonable way to get started hanging while waiting for the UQ to arrive without having to go out and buy anything extra.

I will only be hanging indoors where the thermostat is set at 68. So reasonably, it will never get below 65 where I am hanging.

Could I simply take the blanket or quilt off my bed and put it between the UQP and the hammock? I realize this is very stopgap, but I'm hoping that for an indoor hang that would provide enough insulation to avoid CBS and keep me from having to go out and buy a pad I won't use after I get my UQ or another temporary measure no matter how cheap.

Thanks all for your help and advice.
    This probably came out after your trail lair uqp purchase. Its the simply light designs under quilt...much like a asym wookie but with synthetic climasheild . I have both a 40 & 20 degree version.
    https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c.../spindrift-uqp
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Yeah literally just missed out on that option

• + New Posts