Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Foot Box Question

I have a JRB quilt that's rated 25F, the Sierra Sniveller. Used it a couple of weeks ago at 28F and was very warm. To guard against drafts in the end of the footbox, I inserted a spare wool sock in the hole and then cinched down the cords and tied it off (as demonstrated in one of the JRB videos). I never felt any drafts and was very warm. Seems like a very simple, effective way. I have to ask though as I can't leave well-enough alone: Is there a better way?

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Yeah, sell the Sniveller, and buy a TQ with a sewn footbox. Your way sounds less expensive however.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I never have an issue with the JRB quilts and the footbox cinch gap.
    Most of the time I am using an UQP but even when I am not I can't remember this being an issue.

I always use a Thermawrest Trail Sit Pad (12x16) (5 oz.) in the TQ foot box as well.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 12-06-2018 at 09:13.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I also just tie off the bottom of my quilt with the cinch cord (like a balloon)- completely eliminating the 1" hole (I don't use the sock). My feet have never been cold. I'm sure a sewn footbox has a little more insulation in it. But since I've never had cold feet with my setup, it's not worth the added cost for me to have a sewn footbox.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I also just tie off the bottom of my quilt with the cinch cord (like a balloon)- completely eliminating the 1" hole (I don't use the sock). My feet have never been cold. I'm sure a sewn footbox has a little more insulation in it. But since I've never had cold feet with my setup, it's not worth the added cost for me to have a sewn footbox.
    This is what I’ve done. Only issue I’ve had with cold feet was when we were car camping this fall, and temps dropped 10 degrees lower then predicted, and wind hit 40 mph gusts, and my tarp wasn’t pitched for it. I bailed to the tent (shudder), but I don’t blame the cinched foot box.

I get the sewn foot box, but the cinched gives me a lot more versatility.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Versatility comes with a price...definitely not as warm as a sewn foot box, in my experience. The sewn foot box is preferable for colder weather hangs. The cinched foot box is ok for 3 season use.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    The Puffle by Sierra Madre Research has a good idea, I think. But I haven’t tried it, nor do I use convertible type top quilts anyway.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I use JRB Old Rag Mtn quilt both as a TQ and UQ. I prefer the versatility of being able to use them either place. I have been down to about 10F with them and never suffered from cold feet nor do I stuff a sock in the hole..in fact I close up the hole. Learned how from JRB video HERE
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks. I haven't been cold yet. I did the sock as a preventive since I was getting close to the rating of the quilt. I may try it next time without the sock to just see if I get any draft after I tie it off. My experiences have been great with this quilt. In fact, I think it's probably very conservatively rated. I hear people say the ratings are survival ratings and not comfort ratings, but at 28F (it's rating is 25F) I was very warm.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    Thanks. I haven't been cold yet. I did the sock as a preventive since I was getting close to the rating of the quilt. I may try it next time without the sock to just see if I get any draft after I tie it off. My experiences have been great with this quilt. In fact, I think it's probably very conservatively rated. I hear people say the ratings are survival ratings and not comfort ratings, but at 28F (it's rating is 25F) I was very warm.
    Most cottage vendors rate their quilts for comfort. So if you order a 20° quilt from a cottage vendor, it should keep you warm and comfortable down to that temperature. If they used survival ratings, their 20° quilts would probably be rated somewhere below 0°.

Warmth is very subjective- depending on how warm/cold of a sleeper you are. I used my 20° Loco Libre top quilt down to -13°F (no wind), and was toasty warm- with two pairs of wool socks. But I sleep very warm. I'm not suggesting my results are typical. But I think most cottage vendors' quilts are conservatively-rated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast